Contents on 21 May '19
- Traffic Report -- four objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- four observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 1041 risk-listed objects, 26 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1625 UTC on 21 May.
- Ephemerides for risk-listed objects & close passers
- News archive (old) & news image catalog (discontinued)
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers (mostly discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns (old)
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 21 May '19
Four objects reported inside ten LD
Four small celestial objects are reported within ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today. 2019 JL3 is the closest and moves away from 2.82 to 4.14 LD.
|Neighborhood Traffic - sorted by Earth passage distance, grouped by 2.41, 5.0 & 10.0 LD boundaries|
|Earth passage||I D||~Size||Distance today||Inside ten LD||Notes|
|2.48 LD yesterday||2019 JL3||36 m||2.82 to 4.14 LD||May 15 - 25|
|4.14 LD May 17||2012 KT12||19 m||5.12 to 5.69 LD||May 7 - 27||NHATS target|
|5.56 LD May 17||2019 JG1||16 m||9.02 to 10.50 LD||May 12 - 21||NHATS target, exits ten LD|
|6.09 LD May 17||2019 GT1||34 m||6.65 to 7.06 LD||May 8 - 26||NHATS target|
This report was generated at 1910 UTC with astrometry from early this month in today's DOU MPEC for 2019 JV1, 2019 JJ, 2019 JF, and 2019 HN3.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical importance but is a useful boundary for reporting about transient natural objects that approach our planet's gravitational sphere of influence (SOI), which has a radius of about 2.41 LD from Earth's center. This puts a focus on some of the most important and very best NEO observation work, representative of the much larger NEO discovery and tracking effort. Object temporal distances are derived by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 21 May '19
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 40 listings
When last checked at 2305 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had 40 objects listed. Of these, five were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 47 listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 21 May '19
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2305 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K19J01L 2019 JL1 (small asteroid, arc=10 days, H=22.4 ~112m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (May 7.97-98p3)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K19J01V 2019 JV1 (arc=7 days, H=22.9 ~89m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 7.98-99p4)
- K19J00J 2019 JJ (arc=7 days, H=28.1 ~8m, NHATS target) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.26-28p3 at V=21.4-22.1)
- K19J00F 2019 JF (arc=12 days, H=23.7 ~62m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.05p3)
- K19H03N 2019 HN3 (arc=18 days, H=24.0 ~54m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 1.07-08p5)
- Observation campaigns (NHATS targets, radar support)
- K08H03S 2008 HS3 (arc=5 opp, H=21.6 ~162m, NHATS) from Montelupo Obs. (May 16.94-95p3)
-- NHATS target table
- Observations of small (H>22.0) & smallish (21.7<H<=22.0) asteroids
- K19J01N 2019 JN1 (arc=10 days, H=23.9 ~56m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 8.00-01p3 at V=21.8-22.1)
- K19H03K 2019 HK3 (arc=13 days, H=24.7 ~39m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.09-11p3 at V=21.3-4 & 8.02-04p3 at V=21.0-22.1)
- K19H02P 2019 HP2 (arc=12 days, H=24.7 ~39m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.09-10p3)
- K19H00O 2019 HO (arc=17 days, H=23.9 ~56m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 7.99-01p3)
- K19G04B 2019 GB4 (arc=39 days, H=23.7 ~62m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.25p3)
- K19G01R 2019 GR1 (arc=36 days, H=23.8 ~59m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.06-08p3)
- K19F02P 2019 FP2 (arc=119 days, H=22.2 ~123m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (April 30.03p3)
- K19F01G 2019 FG1 (arc=37 days, H=22.9 ~89m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 1.04p2)
- K19F00Y 2019 FY (arc=43 days, H=22.8 ~93m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (April 30.04-05p3)
- K19C00S 2019 CS (arc=128 days, H=22.9 ~89m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.38-40p3 at G=22.1-2)
- K19H03T 2019 HT3 (Q=4.062 AU, arc=16 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.20p2)
- Observations of other objects
- K19G19M 2019 GM19 (arc=27 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.21-23p3)
- K19G06Z 2019 GZ6 (arc=92 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (April 30.97-99p3)
- K19G03P 2019 GP3 (arc=38 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.12p2)
- K19G02Q 2019 GQ2 (i=39.2°, q=0.174 AU, Q=4.954 AU, arc=33 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.19-21p3 at G=22.0-22.4)
- K19A02V 2019 AV2 (Q=4.052 AU, arc=128 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.31-34p3 at V=22.1-2)
- K18Y00J 2018 YJ (arc=138 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 3.37p3)
- K18X05G 2018 XG5 (arc=154 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (April 30.95-96p5)
- K18V09Z 2018 VZ9 (Q=4.247 AU, arc=179 days, H=18.2 ~776m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 5.36p3)
- K16GD5G 2016 GG135 (arc=2 opp, H=20.7 ~245m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 1.00-02p3)
- G3902 163902 2003 SW222 from Geyserland Obs. (May 20.35-38p2)
- E0928 140928 2001 VG75 from Geyserland Obs. (May 20.42-46p3)
- 10145 10145 1994 CK1 from Geyserland Obs. (May 20.57-58p2)
Observers on 21 May '19
Four observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 18 in MPEC 2019-K10 -- 2019 JV1, 2019 JN1, 2019 JL1, 2019 JJ, 2019 JF, 2019 HT3, 2019 HP2, 2019 HO, 2019 HK3, 2019 GR1, 2019 GQ2, 2019 GP3, 2019 GM19, 2019 GB4, 2019 CS, 2019 AV2, 2018 YJ, 2018 VZ9|
|E89||Geyserland Obs. in New Zealand, 3 in MPEC 2019-K10 -- 163902, 140928, 10145|
|108||Montelupo Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2019-K10 -- 2008 HS3|
|204||Schiaparelli Obs. in Italy, 7 in MPEC 2019-K10 -- 2019 HN3, 2019 GZ6, 2019 FY, 2019 FP2, 2019 FG1, 2018 XG5, 2016 GG135|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 21 May '19
At last check (NEODyS at 2305 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.