Contents on 6 December '17
- Traffic Report -- five objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- twelve observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 890 risk-listed objects, 47 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1732 UTC on 6 Dec.
- Ephemerides for risk-listed objects & close passers
- News archive (old) & news image catalog (discontinued)
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers (mostly discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns (old)
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 6 December '17
Five objects reported inside ten LD
There are five asteroids inside ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Nearest is 2008 WM61, which heads out from 5.19 to 5.97 LD.
|Earth passage||I D||~Size||Distance today||Inside 10 LD||Notes|
|3.35 LD Dec. 14||2006 XY||54 m||8.85 from 9.86 LD||yesterday - Dec. 23||NHATS target|
|3.43 LD Dec. 9||2017 WV12||25 m||7.71 from 9.91 LD||yesterday - Dec. 13|
|3.67 LD Dec. 2||2008 WM61||15 m||5.19 to 5.97 LD||Nov. 23 - Dec. 11||NHATS target|
|3.72 LD Nov. 29||2017 WF16||6 m||7.34 to 8.14 LD||Nov. 19 - Dec. 9||NHATS target|
|9.45 LD yesterday||2017 WS13||40 m||9.51 to 10.13 LD||Dec. 4 - 6||exits ten LD|
|Approaching (sorted by 10-LD bubble entry date)|
|9.71 LD Dec. 14||2015 XX169||11 m||13.90 from 14.97 LD||Dec. 12 - 15||NHATS target|
|3.8 LD Dec. 17*||2017 VT14||100 m||23.7 from 25.9 LD||Dec. 13 - 21||EPU +/- 40 mins.*, radar target, risk, comet nucleus?|
|7.6 LD Dec. 24*||2017 WZ14||31 m||21.2 from 22.3 LD||Dec. 18 - 30||EPU +/- 54 mins.*, radar/NHATS target|
|3.7 LD Feb. 24*||2017 DR109||10 m||189.9 from 193.1 LD||Feb. 18 - March 1||EPU +/- 30 mins.*, NHATS target|
|3.7 LD March 7*||2017 VR12||268 m||133.6 from 135.7 LD||Feb. 28 - March 13||EPU +/- 1.27 hours*, radar/NHATS target|
|* EPU = Earth passage uncertainty|
This report was generated at 1812 UTC.
Reading: NASA/Goddard has a news item (dated November 21st but just noticed at EurekAlert) about a study of gasses released by 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova (1948 X1) on its passage early this year that shows this object "doesn't quite match any comet studied so far."
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical importance but is a useful boundary for reporting about transient natural objects that approach our planet's gravitational sphere of influence (SOI), which has a radius of about 2.41 LD from Earth's center. This puts a focus on some of the most important and very best NEO observation work, representative of the much larger NEO discovery and tracking effort. Object temporal distances are derived by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 6 December '17
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 30 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had 30 objects listed. Of these, six were "one nighters."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 6 December '17
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observation campaigns (NHATS targets, radar support)
- K17W12X 2017 WX12 (arc=15 days, H=22.1 ~129m, radar) from M. Kumrucu-Lohmiller via Slooh.com Chile Obs. (Dec. 5.10-12p2) and Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Dec. 5.43-46p3)
- 03200 3200 Phaethon (1983 TB) (radar) from Olmen Obs. (Dec. 4.80-81p4), Forti Obs. (Dec. 5.83p3), Naef Obs. (Dec. 5.85-86p3), Farra d'Isonzo Obs. (Dec. 5.92-95p4), and Spirit Marsh Obs. (Dec. 6.21-22p3)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of other objects
- K17W01L 2017 WL1 (i=44.3°, arc=17 days, H=20.9 ~224m) from ATLAS Haleakala (Dec. 4.43-45p4)
- K17S17O 2017 SO17 (Q=4.199 AU, arc=71 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ATLAS Haleakala (Dec. 4.51-53p4) and Naef Obs. (Dec. 5.82-84p4)
- K15B04F 2015 BF4 (arc=3 opp, H=20.4 ~282m) from PS1 (Dec. 5.34-36p3)
- K03G22Q 2003 GQ22 (arc=3 opp, H=21.2 ~195m) from UH/Tholen NEO Follow-Up 2.24m Telescope (2011 April 3.29p1 at G=23.2)
- J99A04F 1999 AF4 (Q=4.570 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Dec. 2.16-17p5)
- o5178 505178 2012 TV78 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 5.32-34p4)
- X3888 333888 1998 ST4 from ARO Westfield (Dec. 2.06-07p5) and ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 5.31-34p4)
- F4589 154589 2003 MX2 from ARO Westfield (Dec. 2.04-05p4)
- E3992 143992 2004 AF from program code "'" (16) via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. (Dec. 5.16-22p3)
- E2040 142040 2002 QE15 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 5.25-27p4)
- D8852 138852 2000 WN10 from PS1 (Dec. 5.34-36p3)
- 87311 87311 2000 QJ1 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 5.60-63p7)
- 68950 68950 2002 QF15 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 5.19-22p4)
- 53110 53110 1999 AR7 from PS1 (Dec. 5.45-47p3)
- 17182 17182 1999 VU from ARO Westfield (Dec. 2.16-17p4)
- 16834 16834 1997 WU22 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 5.58-60p4)
- 16657 16657 1993 UB from ARO Westfield (Dec. 2.10p4) and ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 5.26-28p4)
- 07977 7977 1977 QQ5 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 5.51-53p4)
- 01980 1980 Tezcatlipoca (1950 LA) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 2.04-05p5)
- 01865 1865 Cerberus (1971 UA) from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 5.28-30p4)
Observers on 6 December '17
Twelve observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 6 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 1999 AF4, 333888, 17182, 16657, 154589, 1980|
|T05||ATLAS Haleakala in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 2017 WL1, 2017 SO17|
|T08||ATLAS Mauna Loa in Hawaii, 9 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 87311, 68950, 505178, 333888, 16834, 16657, 142040, 7977, 1865|
|595||Farra d'Isonzo Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 3200|
|K83||Forti Obs., 1 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 3200|
|A13||Naef Obs. in Switzerland, 2 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 2017 SO17, 3200|
|C23||Olmen Obs. in Belgium, 1 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 3200|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 4 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 2017 WX12, 2015 BF4, 53110, 138852|
|G40'||program code "'" (16) via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 143992|
|W885||M. Kumrucu-Lohmiller in Massachusetts via Slooh.com Chile Obs. in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 2017 WX12|
|V78||Spirit Marsh Obs. in Minnesota, 1 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 3200|
|T12||UH/Tholen NEO Follow-Up 2.24m Telescope in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2017-X15 -- 2003 GQ22|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 6 December '17
At last check (NEODyS at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.