Contents on 6 August '17
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- 25 observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 788 risk-listed objects, 17 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1503 UTC on 6 Aug.
- Ephemerides for risk-listed objects & close passers
- News archive (old) & news image catalog (discontinued)
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers (mostly discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns (old)
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 6 August '17
One object reported inside ten LD
Today there is one visitor reported transiting an imaginary sphere with a radius of ten lunar distances (LD) from Earth's center. 2017 NB7 comes its closest to us on this passage -- 6.83 LD at 1044 UTC.
It will be awhile, but next known to be coming into the sphere are 1989 VB on September 25th, risk-listed radar/NHATS target intruder 2012 TC4 on October 5th, and 171576 1999 VP11 on October 20th, plus NHATS target 2005 TE49 may enter on or about October 11th.
|Earth passage||I D||~Size||Distance Today||Notes|
|6.83 LD today||2017 NB7||77 m||6.83 LD||Earth closest at 1044 UTC|
|Approaching (sorted by 10-LD bubble entry date)|
|7.87 LD Sept. 29||1989 VB||389 m||< 10 LD Sept. 25, NEW|
|0.13 LD Oct. 12||2012 TC4||15 m||< 10 LD Oct. 5, NEW, intruder, radar/NHATS target, risk - MPEC, links|
|8.5 LD Oct. 13||2005 TE49||15 m||< 10 LD Oct. 11, NEW, uncertainty +/- 10.1167 hours, NHATS target|
|5.77 LD Oct. 22||171576 1999 VP11||645 m||< 10 LD Oct. 20, NEW|
This report was generated at 2040 UTC with the awaited recovery of 2012 TC4 (MPEC, links) and with astrometry from early last month in today's DOU MPEC for radar target 2017 CS. As we will be reporting on tiny intruder 2012 TC4 from now well into October, we need to add three other concurrent visitors. 1989 VB was recovered last month (DOU), and 171576 1999 VP11 has been tracked annually for several years now and was last reported in January while still distant, but tiny 2005 TE49 only had fourteen positions reported in a span of 3.70 days twelve years ago, thus has a JPL-calculated uncertainty of plus-or-minus 10.12 hours for passage at 8.5 LD on October 13th.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical importance but is a useful boundary for reporting on transient natural objects that approach the actually significant gravitational sphere of influence (SOI), which has a radius of about 2.41 LD from Earth's center. This puts a focus on some of the most important and very best NEO observation work, representative of the much larger NEO discovery and tracking effort. Object distances are derived by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 6 August '17
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 46 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had 46 objects listed. Of these, seventeen were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 57 listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 6 August '17
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there have been eight MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2017-P25 time-stamped "12:03 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2017-P26 time-stamped "13:29 UT" - 2012 TC4 - see below
- MPEC 2017-P27 time-stamped "20:27 UT" - 2017 OH68 - see below
- MPEC 2017-P28 time-stamped "20:29 UT" - 2017 OJ68 - see below
- MPEC 2017-P29 time-stamped "20:33 UT" - 2017 PQ24 - see below
- MPEC 2017-P30 time-stamped "20:35 UT" - 2017 PR24 - see below
- MPEC 2017-P31 time-stamped "20:57 UT" - 2017 OG68 - see below
- MPEC 2017-P32 time-stamped "21:00 UT" - 2017 PS24
MPEC 2017-P32 - "21:00 UT" - 2017 PS24
- K17P24S 2017 PS24 (small asteroid, H=24.9 ~35m) was picked up at 1247 UT on 3 Aug. by Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1), observing it at Aug. 3.53-57p3. This detection was confirmed by Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Aug. 5.38-40p3) and Great Shefford Obs. (Aug. 6.06-10p3).
MPEC 2017-P31 - "20:57 UT" - 2017 OG68
- K17O68G 2017 OG68 (H=21.5 ~170m) was picked up at 1204 UT on 26 July by PS1, observing it at July 26.50-54p4. This detection was confirmed by UH/Tholen NEO Follow-Up CFH Telescope (July 30.46p3), Dave Balam via Plaskett 1.8m Telescope (Aug. 1.32-33p3), the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (Aug. 2.39-40p2), and ARO Westfield (Aug. 5.27-30p3).
MPEC 2017-P30 - "20:35 UT" - 2017 PR24
- K17P24R 2017 PR24 (Q=5.210 AU, H=17.8 ~933m) was picked up at 1336 UT on 2 Aug. by ATLAS Mauna Loa, observing it at Aug. 2.57-60p4. This detection was confirmed by SATINO-1 (Aug. 3.04-09p5), LCOGT Tenerife Aqawan A#1 (Aug. 3.19-20p4), Farra d'Isonzo Obs. (Aug. 3.97-99p3), Santa Maria de Montmagastrell Obs. (Aug. 4.06-07p3), ROASTERR-1 (Aug. 4.94-01p3), Tacande Obs. (Aug. 5.12-13p3), RMS Obs. (Aug. 5.31-32p2), ARO Westfield (Aug. 5.32p3), Northolt Branch Obs. (Aug. 6.01-02p2), and Great Shefford Obs. (Aug. 6.03-04p3).
MPEC 2017-P29 - "20:33 UT" - 2017 PQ24
- K17P24Q 2017 PQ24 (small asteroid, H=23.3 ~74m) was picked up at 1238 UT on 1 Aug. by PS1, observing it at Aug. 1.53-56p4 at w=22.2-5 and 3.53-55p3 at w=21.9-22.2. This detection was confirmed by ARO Westfield (Aug. 3.31-32p3 at V=22.0-22.3 & 5.33-35p3 at V=21.6-22.1).
MPEC 2017-P28 - "20:29 UT" - 2017 OJ68
- K17O68J 2017 OJ68 (Q=4.310 AU, H=21.7 ~155m) was picked up at 1418 UT on 30 July by PS1, observing it at July 30.60-61p3 at w=22.1-2 and Aug. 1.58-60p3 at w=22.1-4. This detection was confirmed by Tholen CFHT (July 31.61-62p3) and ARO Westfield (Aug. 3.37-38p3 at V=22.1-3).
MPEC 2017-P27 - "20:27 UT" - 2017 OH68
- K17O68H 2017 OH68 (H=19.9 ~355m) was picked up at 1256 UT on 30 July by PS1, observing it at July 30.54-57p3. This detection was confirmed by GINOP-KHK (July 31.05p2, Aug. 1.04-05p2 & 2.02p3), Marco Micheli on Mauna Kea (July 31.61p3), Tholen CFHT (July 31.61p3), Crni Vrh Obs. (Aug. 1.08-09p3), Kiev Comet Station (Aug. 1.99-02p7), ARO Westfield (Aug. 5.36-37p3), Farra d'Isonzo Obs. (Aug. 6.05-07p2), and San Marcello Pistoiese Obs. (Aug. 6.07-08p3).
MPEC 2017-P26 - "13:29 UT" - 2012 TC4
- K12T04C 2012 TC4 (risk listed, Earth MOID=0.1 LD, H=26.8 ~15m, close passer, NHATS target, radar support) from Marco Micheli via Cerro Paranal (July 27.25-26p2 at G=26.6-8, 31.21p1 at G=26.2 & Aug. 5.38-40p2 at G=25.9-26.2)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K17C00S 2017 CS (Q=4.199 AU, arc=194 days, H=19.8 ~371m, radar support) from ARO Westfield (July 10.22-23p5)
- Observation campaigns (NHATS targets, radar support)
- m1394 481394 2006 SF6 (NHATS) from RMS Obs. (Aug. 5.15-16p2)
- 06063 6063 Jason (1984 KB) (radar) from ARO Westfield (July 10.20-21p4)
-- NHATS target table & ephemerides -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small (H>22.0) & smallish (21.7<H<=22.0) asteroids
- K17O20D 2017 OD20 (arc=7 days, H=22.3 ~117m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 3.32-33p2)
- K17O20C 2017 OC20 (arc=8 days, H=24.0 ~54m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 3.38-40p3)
- K17O07L 2017 OL7 (arc=8 days, H=23.4 ~71m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 3.36-37p2)
- K17O07J 2017 OJ7 (arc=11 days, H=23.5 ~68m) from Great Shefford Obs. (Aug. 5.99-01p3)
- K17O07H 2017 OH7 (Q=4.635 AU, arc=9 days, H=22.7 ~98m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 3.31p3)
- K17O07F 2017 OF7 (arc=9 days, H=23.1 ~81m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 2.89-90p3)
- K17N06O 2017 NO6 (arc=11 days, H=24.0 ~54m) from ARO Westfield (July 21.11-14p3 at V=22.2-4)
- K17K31V 2017 KV31 (arc=33 days, H=23.5 ~68m) from ARO Westfield (June 20.30-32p3)
- K17H03V 2017 HV3 (arc=140 days, H=23.7 ~62m) from ARO Westfield (June 25.28-33p3 at V=22.1-2)
- K17L01P 2017 LP1 (arc=15 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from ARO Westfield (June 25.13-16p3 at V=21.7-22.2)
- Observations of other objects
- K17O19K 2017 OK19 (arc=9 days, H=20.8 ~234m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 3.34p2)
- K17O18T 2017 OT18 (arc=10 days, H=19.1 ~513m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 2.99p3) and RMS Obs. (Aug. 5.20-21p2)
- K17O01L 2017 OL1 (Q=4.004 AU, arc=15 days, H=21.7 ~155m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 2.93-94p3) and ATLAS Mauna Loa (Aug. 5.36-39p4)
- K17N06L 2017 NL6 (Q=4.371 AU, arc=28 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from RMS Obs. (Aug. 5.33-35p2)
- K17M02Y 2017 MY2 (arc=42 days, H=21.1 ~204m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 3.29-30p3)
- K17G06Q 2017 GQ6 (arc=122 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from North Obs. (Aug. 6.04-05p4)
- K14SX9R 2014 SR339 (arc=2 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 2.96p3)
- K13P06X 2013 PX6 (Q=4.285 AU, arc=3 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from ARO Westfield (June 25.31-32p3 at V=21.8-22.1)
- n6018 496018 2008 NU from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 2.90p3)
- n5959 495959 2007 ML6 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Aug. 5.44-46p3)
- m5652 485652 2011 WO41 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Aug. 5.48-50p4)
- m4517 484517 2008 EC69 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Aug. 5.26-28p4)
- f1611 411611 2011 QF14 from PS1 (Aug. 5.60-61p8)
- c5580 385580 2004 XO14 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Aug. 5.51-53p8)
- U4640 304640 2006 WW1 from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 2.85-86p3), RMS Obs. (Aug. 5.16-17p2), and North Obs. (Aug. 5.96p2)
- T4739 294739 2008 CM from RMS Obs. (Aug. 4.11-12p2 & 5.17-18p2)
- P0680 250680 2005 QC5 from PS1 (Aug. 5.60-61p4)
- N8456 238456 2004 RK from ARO Westfield (June 20.29-34p3 at V=22.1-2)
- N7805 237805 2002 CF26 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Aug. 5.56-58p4)
- N2368 232368 2003 AZ2 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Aug. 5.51-53p4)
- F2667 152667 1998 FR11 from PS1 (Aug. 5.60-61p4)
- E3992 143992 2004 AF from North Obs. (Aug. 5.99-01p4)
- E2561 142561 2002 TX68 from RMS Obs. (Aug. 5.18p2)
- E2040 142040 2002 QE15 from ARO Westfield (July 10.27-28p4)
- 27031 27031 1998 RO4 from PS1 (Aug. 5.60-61p4)
- 20460 20460 Robwhiteley (1999 LO28) from ARO Westfield (July 10.20p6)
- 16657 16657 1993 UB from PS1 (Aug. 5.57-59p4)
- 12538 12538 1998 OH from ARO Westfield (July 10.13p3)
- 06053 6053 1993 BW3 from Picoto Obs. (Aug. 6.05-09p3)
- 06050 6050 Miwablock (1992 AE) from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Aug. 5.35-38p4)
- 03752 3752 Camillo (1985 PA) from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Aug. 5.45-48p4)
- 01980 1980 Tezcatlipoca (1950 LA) from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 2.82p3), Picoto Obs. (Aug. 5.90-96p3), and Squirrel Valley Obs. (Aug. 6.05-08p4)
Observers on 6 August '17
A total of 25 observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 23 in MPECs 2017-P25, 2017-P27, 2017-P28, 2017-P29, 2017-P30, 2017-P31 & 2017-P32 -- 2017 PS24, 2017 PR24, 2017 PQ24, 2017 OL7, 2017 OK19, 2017 OJ68, 2017 OH7, 2017 OH68, 2017 OG68, 2017 OD20, 2017 OC20, 2017 NO6, 2017 MY2, 2017 LP1, 2017 KV31, 2017 HV3, 2017 CS, 2013 PX6, 238456, 20460, 142040, 12538, 6063|
|T08||ATLAS Mauna Loa in Hawaii, 10 in MPECs 2017-P25 & 2017-P30 -- 2017 PR24, 2017 OL1, 495959, 485652, 484517, 385580, 237805, 232368, 6050, 3752|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 7 in MPEC 2017-P25 -- 2017 OT18, 2017 OL1, 2017 OF7, 2014 SR339, 496018, 304640, 1980|
|309&||Marco Micheli via Cerro Paranal in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2017-P26 -- 2012 TC4|
|106||Crni Vrh Obs. in Slovenia, 1 in MPEC 2017-P27 -- 2017 OH68|
|595||Farra d'Isonzo Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPECs 2017-P27 & 2017-P30 -- 2017 PR24, 2017 OH68|
|K88||GINOP-KHK in Hungary, 1 in MPEC 2017-P27 -- 2017 OH68|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 3 in MPECs 2017-P25, 2017-P30 & 2017-P32 -- 2017 PS24, 2017 PR24, 2017 OJ7|
|585||Kiev Comet Station in Ukraine, 1 in MPEC 2017-P27 -- 2017 OH68|
|Z21||LCOGT Tenerife Aqawan A#1 in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2017-P30 -- 2017 PR24|
|568_||Marco Micheli on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2017-P27 -- 2017 OH68|
|J69||North Obs. in England, 3 in MPEC 2017-P25 -- 2017 GQ6, 304640, 143992|
|Z80||Northolt Branch Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2017-P30 -- 2017 PR24|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 10 in MPECs 2017-P25, 2017-P27, 2017-P28, 2017-P29, 2017-P31 & 2017-P32 -- 2017 PS24, 2017 PQ24, 2017 OJ68, 2017 OH68, 2017 OG68, 411611, 27031, 250680, 16657, 152667|
|Z38||Picoto Obs., 2 in MPEC 2017-P25 -- 6053, 1980|
|6581||Dave Balam via Plaskett 1.8m Telescope in British Columbia, 1 in MPEC 2017-P31 -- 2017 OG68|
|W25||RMS Obs., 7 in MPECs 2017-P25 & 2017-P30 -- 2017 PR24, 2017 OT18, 2017 NL6, 481394, 304640, 294739, 142561|
|L04||ROASTERR-1 in Romania, 1 in MPEC 2017-P30 -- 2017 PR24|
|104||San Marcello Pistoiese Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2017-P27 -- 2017 OH68|
|B74||Santa Maria de Montmagastrell Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2017-P30 -- 2017 PR24|
|C95||SATINO-1 in France, 1 in MPEC 2017-P30 -- 2017 PR24|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2017-P31 -- 2017 OG68|
|W34||Squirrel Valley Obs. in North Carolina, 1 in MPEC 2017-P25 -- 1980|
|J22||Tacande Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2017-P30 -- 2017 PR24|
|T14||UH/Tholen NEO Follow-Up CFH Telescope in Hawaii, 3 in MPECs 2017-P27, 2017-P28 & 2017-P31 -- 2017 OJ68, 2017 OH68, 2017 OG68|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 6 August '17
At last check (NEODyS at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 6 August '17
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2120||Generated Traffic Report|
|2101||Grabbed MPEC 2017-P29 - 2017 PQ24 - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2017-P30 - 2017 PR24 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2017-P31 - 2017 OG68 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2017-P32 - 2017 PS24 - see above
|2031||Grabbed MPEC 2017-P27 - 2017 OH68 - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2017-P28 - 2017 OJ68 - see above
|1500||Grabbed MPEC 2017-P25 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2017-P26 - 2012 TC4 - see above