Contents on 10 July '17
- Traffic Report -- two objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- twelve observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
NOTE: These A/CC news pages will update less often for an extended period. All discoveries and observing credits will be reported, but we may miss some interim impact risk assessments and undercount NEOCP efforts, and there may be some gaps in our traffic reporting for Earth's Busy Neighborhood.
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 786 risk-listed objects, 27 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1437 UTC on 10 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-listed objects & close passers
- News archive (old) & news image catalog (discontinued)
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers (mostly discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns (old)
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 10 July '17
Two objects reported inside ten LD
Two minor objects are known to be less than ten lunar distances (LD) from our home planet today. 2017 MR8 is inbound from 8.53 to 7.13 LD and 2017 MC4 from 9.13 to 7.62 LD. Coming into the neighborhood next, NHATS target 2017 BS5 enters the ten LD space on July 16th.
This report was generated at 2012 UTC with first follow-up for 2017 MR8 (adding 6.88 days to its 2.05-day discovery arc) in today's DOU MPEC along with continuing follow-up for 2017 MC4.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical importance but is a useful boundary for reporting on transient natural objects that approach the actually significant gravitational sphere of influence (SOI), which has a radius of about 2.41 LD from Earth's center. This puts a focus on some of the most important and very best NEO observation work, representative of the much larger NEO discovery and tracking effort. Object distances are derived by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 10 July '17
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 30 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had 30 objects listed. Of these, 22 were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 32 listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 10 July '17
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K17M01B 2017 MB1 (Q=4.151 AU, arc=20 days, H=18.7 ~616m) from Cavezzo Obs. (July 7.96p4) and RMS Obs. (July 9.25-27p4)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K17M08R 2017 MR8 (arc=9 days, H=25.0 ~34m) from RMS Obs. (July 9.14-15p2)
- K17M04C 2017 MC4 (arc=16 days, H=22.0 ~135m) from Oberfrauendorf Obs. (July 9.89p5)
- Observation campaigns (NHATS targets, radar support)
- 11398 11398 1998 YP11 (radar) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 6.87p3), MASTER IAC Obs. (July 8.90-94p5), and Wishing Star Obs. (July 10.04-05p3)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of other objects
- K17N00H 2017 NH (arc=9 days, H=21.6 ~162m) from Oberfrauendorf Obs. (July 9.86-87p4), Wishing Star Obs. (July 10.09p3), and Squirrel Valley Obs. (July 10.12-14p4)
- K17M07M 2017 MM7 (q=0.080 AU, Q=4.056 AU, arc=8 days, H=21.1 ~204m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (July 4.20-21p2)
- K17M04G 2017 MG4 (Q=5.245 AU, arc=32 days, H=21.7 ~155m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.18-19p3)
- K17M03D 2017 MD3 (arc=11 days, H=20.8 ~234m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.31p3)
- K17K34R 2017 KR34 (arc=96 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from RMS Obs. (July 9.11-13p2)
- K17B31M 2017 BM31 (arc=164 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from Wishing Star Obs. (July 10.10p3)
- K11E78D 2011 ED78 (Q=5.329 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 6.85p3)
- n5959 495959 2007 ML6 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (July 8.44-47p4)
- n5858 495858 2003 MJ4 from ATLAS Haleakala (July 6.42-45p4)
- n5829 495829 1995 LG from G. Gasparovic via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. (July 1.12-15p3)
- n5331 495331 2014 KF91 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 6.86p3)
- a6733 366733 2004 BG121 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 9.00-01p3) and RMS Obs. (July 9.22-27p3)
- T4739 294739 2008 CM from RMS Obs. (July 9.22-26p3)
- N2368 232368 2003 AZ2 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 9.01-02p3)
- F4144 154144 2002 FA5 from ARO Westfield (July 4.16-17p2)
- E2561 142561 2002 TX68 from RMS Obs. (July 9.14-16p3)
- 68348 68348 2001 LO7 from Squirrel Valley Obs. (July 10.07-10p4)
- 66391 66391 1999 KW4 from Ondrejov Obs. (June 26.88-92p2, 26.97-01p2, 27.87p1, 27.91-95p2, 27.99p1, 28.04p1, 30.90-94p2 & 30.98-02p2) and Wishing Star Obs. (July 10.11-12p3)
- 20460 20460 Robwhiteley (1999 LO28) from Ondrejov Obs. (July 4.89-97p3 & 5.01-05p2)
- 12538 12538 1998 OH from RMS Obs. (July 9.09-12p3)
- 05660 5660 1974 MA from Castelmartini Obs. (July 9.07p3)
Observers on 10 July '17
Twelve observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 4 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 2017 MM7, 2017 MG4, 2017 MD3, 154144|
|T05||ATLAS Haleakala in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 495858|
|T08||ATLAS Mauna Loa in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 495959|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 6 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 2011 ED78, 495331, 366733, 232368, 11398, 5660|
|107||Cavezzo Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 2017 MB1|
|Z22||MASTER IAC Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 11398|
|G34||Oberfrauendorf Obs. in Germany, 2 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 2017 NH, 2017 MC4|
|557||Ondrejov Obs. in the Czech Republic, 2 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 66391, 20460|
|W25||RMS Obs., 7 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 2017 MR8, 2017 MB1, 2017 KR34, 366733, 294739, 142561, 12538|
|G40"||G. Gasparovic in Croatia via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 495829|
|W34||Squirrel Valley Obs. in North Carolina, 2 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 2017 NH, 68348|
|I15||Wishing Star Obs. in Rhode Island, 4 in MPEC 2017-N63 -- 2017 NH, 2017 BM31, 66391, 11398|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 10 July '17
At last check (NEODyS at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today, except that observation of one risk-listed object has been reported (see today's DOU MPEC above). Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.