Contents on 11 June '17
- Traffic Report -- three objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- thirteen observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 779 risk-listed objects, 35 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1538 UTC on 11 June.
- Ephemerides for risk-listed objects & close passers
- News archive (old) & news image catalog (discontinued)
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers (mostly discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns (old)
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 11 June '17
Three objects reported inside ten LD
Three asteroidal objects are reported passing within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Risk-listed 2017 LD is outbound from 6.65 to 7.61 LD, 2017 LE leaves ten LD, moving from 9.43 to 11.16 LD, and risk-listed 2017 KJ32 also leaves, traveling from 9.83 to 10.36 LD.
This report was generated at 1926 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for departed radar targets 2017 CS and 418094 2007 WV4, and for distant 484402 2007 XH16.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical importance but is a useful boundary for reporting on transient natural objects that approach the actually significant gravitational sphere of influence (SOI), which has a radius of about 2.41 LD from Earth's center. This puts a focus on some of the most important and very best NEO observation work, representative of the much larger NEO discovery and tracking effort. "Distant" is used here to describe an object that has come within ten LD since A/CC began these traffic reports ten-plus years ago but is not currently coming so close. Object distances are derived by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 11 June '17
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 19 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had nineteen objects listed. Of these, three were "one nighters."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 11 June '17
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K17C00S 2017 CS (Q=4.199 AU, arc=141 days, H=19.9 ~355m, radar support) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (June 10.25-26p6), Muensterschwarzach Obs. (June 10.91-92p3), and M57 Obs. (June 10.99-04p4)
- m4402 484402 2007 XH16 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (June 10.50-55p4)
- f8094 418094 2007 WV4 (radar support) from ATLAS Haleakala (June 10.41-47p8), Northolt Branch Obs. (June 10.97p4), M57 Obs. (June 11.01-06p4), and GiaGa Obs. (June 11.02-03p2)
- Observation campaigns (NHATS targets, radar support)
- G3696 163696 2003 EB50 (radar) from ATLAS Mauna Loa (June 10.29-36p8)
- 68950 68950 2002 QF15 (radar) from ARO Westfield (June 8.33-34p5)
- 11398 11398 1998 YP11 (radar) from Transit Dreams Obs. (June 10.19-20p2), ATLAS Haleakala (June 10.39-44p4), and Squirrel Valley Obs. (June 11.12-14p4)
- 06063 6063 Jason (1984 KB) (radar) from ARO Westfield (June 10.13-14p7), Transit Dreams Obs. (June 10.13-14p2), and Squirrel Valley Obs. (June 11.07-10p4)
- 02102 2102 Tantalus (1975 YA) (radar) from Transit Dreams Obs. (June 10.25-26p2) and Muensterschwarzach Obs. (June 10.90-91p2)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of other objects
- K17H50Y 2017 HY50 (Q=4.372 AU, arc=42 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (June 8.12-13p3) and Tony Evans via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. (June 11.02-04p2)
- K17H03N 2017 HN3 (arc=51 days, H=21.5 ~170m) from GiaGa Obs. (June 10.95p1 & 11.00p1)
- K17G06Q 2017 GQ6 (arc=66 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (June 10.51-54p2)
- K13B45R 2013 BR45 (arc=2 opp, H=20.1 ~323m) from GiaGa Obs. (June 10.90-93p2)
- K11E78D 2011 ED78 (Q=5.329 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from ARO Westfield (June 8.15p3)
- K04M06D 2004 MD6 (arc=5 opp, H=20.4 ~282m) from PS1 (June 10.55-59p3)
- J95L00G 1995 LG (i=43.6°, q=0.223 AU, arc=8 opp, H=18.7 ~616m) from PS1 (June 10.56-59p3)
- n4706 494706 2005 GL9 from Ghezz Obs. (June 8.92-99p5) and ARO Westfield (June 10.10-11p6)
- j6651 456651 2007 RT19 from ARO Westfield (June 8.17-19p4)
- f6584 416584 2004 JB12 from Muensterschwarzach Obs. (June 10.90-91p2)
- a7525 367525 2009 QZ6 from PS1 (June 10.56-59p4)
- W9774 329774 2004 LE from ARO Westfield (June 8.36-37p5)
- J0166 190166 2005 UP156 from ARO Westfield (June 10.19-20p6)
- E2040 142040 2002 QE15 from ARO Westfield (June 10.23p4)
- E1670 141670 2002 JS100 from PS1 (June 10.56-60p3)
- D7170 137170 1999 HF1 from Transit Dreams Obs. (June 10.33-34p2)
- 66391 66391 1999 KW4 from ARO Westfield (June 8.34p5), Transit Dreams Obs. (June 10.22-23p2), ATLAS Haleakala (June 10.43-48p4), and Squirrel Valley Obs. (June 11.15-18p4)
- 54789 54789 2001 MZ7 from ARO Westfield (June 8.11-12p4)
- 04954 4954 Eric (1990 SQ) from MASTER OAFA Obs. (June 10.11-13p2) and ATLAS Mauna Loa (June 10.26-31p4)
- 04341 4341 Poseidon (1987 KF) from ARO Westfield (June 8.29-30p4)
- 02329 2329 Orthos (1976 WA) from Transit Dreams Obs. (June 10.12-13p2)
- 01980 1980 Tezcatlipoca (1950 LA) from ARO Westfield (June 10.16-17p6)
- 01036 1036 Ganymed (1924 TD) from MASTER OAFA Obs. (June 9.95-97p3)
Observers on 11 June '17
Thirteen observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 14 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 2017 HY50, 2017 CS, 2011 ED78, 68950, 66391, 54789, 494706, 456651, 329774, 190166, 142040, 6063, 4341, 1980|
|T05||ATLAS Haleakala in Hawaii, 3 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 66391, 418094, 11398|
|T08||ATLAS Mauna Loa in Hawaii, 3 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 484402, 163696, 4954|
|D08||Ghezz Obs. in Switzerland, 1 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 494706|
|203||GiaGa Obs. in Italy, 3 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 2017 HN3, 2013 BR45, 418094|
|K38||M57 Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 2017 CS, 418094|
|W92||MASTER OAFA Obs., 2 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 4954, 1036|
|K74||Muensterschwarzach Obs. in Germany, 3 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 2017 CS, 416584, 2102|
|Z80||Northolt Branch Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 418094|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 5 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 2017 GQ6, 2004 MD6, 1995 LG, 367525, 141670|
|G403||Tony Evans in Portugal via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 2017 HY50|
|W34||Squirrel Valley Obs. in North Carolina, 3 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 66391, 11398, 6063|
|W33||Transit Dreams Obs., 6 in MPEC 2017-L57 -- 66391, 137170, 11398, 6063, 2329, 2102|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 11 June '17
At last check (NEODyS at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.