Contents on 12 May '17
- Traffic Report -- six objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- eleven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 826 risk-listed objects, 344 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1508 UTC on 12 May.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated, nearby objects & NHATS targets
- News archive (old) & news image catalog (discontinued)
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers (mostly discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns (revised 8 April)
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 12 May '17
Six objects reported inside ten LD
There are six asteroidal objects reported within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Nearest is 2017 JA2, which comes its closest on this passage, reaching 2.57 LD at 1230 UTC.
|Earth passage||I D||~Size||Distance Today||Notes|
|0.14 LD May 4||2017 JB2||5 m||5.48 to 6.14 LD||intruder, risk|
|2.34 LD May 8||2017 JV1||20 m||8.22 to 10.67 LD||exits ten LD|
|2.57 LD today||2017 JA2||39 m||2.57 LD||Earth closest at 1230 UTC - DOU|
|3.71 LD yesterday||2017 JX1||21 m||4.03 to 5.02 LD||risk|
|5.09 LD May 15||2017 JM2||49 m||8.77 from 11.62 LD||enters ten LD - DOU|
|5.55 LD yesterday||2017 HU49||18 m||5.55 to 5.57 LD||DOU|
|7.93 LD May 29||2017 CS||446 m||< 10 LD May 26, radar target|
This report was generated at 2025 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for three objects in the active traffic table here as well as for distant 484402 2007 XH16.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical importance but is a useful boundary for reporting on transient natural objects that approach the actually significant gravitational sphere of influence (SOI), which has a radius of about 2.41 LD from Earth's center. This puts a focus on some of the most important and very best NEO observation work, representative of the much larger NEO discovery and tracking effort. "Distant" is used here to describe an object that has come within ten LD since A/CC began these traffic reports (2007) but is not now so close. Object distances are derived by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 12 May '17
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 21 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had 21 objects listed. Of these, eight were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 26 listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 12 May '17
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K17J02M 2017 JM2 (arc=16 days, H=24.2 ~49m) from Tenagra II Obs. (May 12.21p3) and Kristie Nault via Apache Point Obs. (May 12.27p3)
- K17J02A 2017 JA2 (arc=8 days, H=24.6 ~41m) from Tenagra II Obs. (May 12.14-21p29)
- K17H49U 2017 HU49 (arc=12 days, H=26.5 ~17m) from Tenagra II Obs. (May 12.15-16p3)
- m4402 484402 2007 XH16 from WISE (May 9.29p1, 9.42p1, 9.69p1, 9.82p1 & 9.95p1)
- Observation campaigns (NHATS targets, radar support)
- K12H13N 2012 HN13 (arc=2 opp, H=22.8 ~93m, NHATS) from Nault/Apache Point (May 12.29p3)
- 02102 2102 Tantalus (1975 YA) (radar) from Northolt Branch Obs. (May 11.03-04p4)
-- NHATS target table & ephemerides -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K17J01R 2017 JR1 (arc=10 days, H=24.7 ~39m) from Nault/Apache Point (May 12.25p3)
- K17H01K 2017 HK1 (arc=23 days, H=25.0 ~34m) from Nault/Apache Point (May 12.27p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K17H49D 2017 HD49 (arc=15 days, H=21.1 ~204m) from Nault/Apache Point (May 12.26p3)
- K17A05C 2017 AC5 (arc=129 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ROASTERR-1 (April 14.84p2) and Nault/Apache Point (May 12.28p3)
- K16J00P 2016 JP (arc=2 opp, H=21.2 ~195m) from Nault/Apache Point (May 12.29p3)
- K11E78D 2011 ED78 (Q=5.329 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from Nault/Apache Point (May 12.29p3)
- K10J88H 2010 JH88 from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (May 11.46-48p2 & 11.52p1)
- K02B25G 2002 BG25 (i=48.8°, arc=3 opp, H=20.9 ~224m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (Feb. 15.89-92p3)
- n0684 490684 2010 LL34 from Spacewatch via Kitt Peak Natl. Obs. (KPNO) (May 6.42p3)
- m9235 489235 2006 QA58 from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (May 7.39-40p3 at V=22.1-3)
- m8803 488803 2005 GB120 from ARO Westfield (May 7.11-12p3)
- m8490 488490 2000 AF205 from Oukaimeden Obs. (May 5.93-95p3)
- m3878 483878 2005 YS165 from Schiaparelli Obs. (Feb. 15.80-82p3)
- m3662 483662 2005 EY223 from Schiaparelli Obs. (Feb. 15.83-85p3)
- m3563 483563 2004 BD68 from Schiaparelli Obs. (Feb. 15.75-76p2)
- m3560 483560 2004 BV1 from Nault/Apache Point (May 12.28p3)
- m3471 483471 2002 LS32 from Schiaparelli Obs. (Feb. 15.86-88p5)
- j6651 456651 2007 RT19 from Nault/Apache Point (May 12.28p3)
- D6582 136582 1992 BA from PS1 (May 11.46-47p2 & 11.52-53p2)
- 66400 66400 1999 LT7 from WISE (May 8.30p1, 8.43p1, 8.56p1, 8.63p1, 8.69p1, 8.95p1, 9.08p1, 9.15p1, 9.22p1, 9.28p1, 9.35p1, 9.48p1, 9.54p1, 9.94p1, 10.00p1, 10.13p1, 10.26p1 & 10.46p1)
- 02329 2329 Orthos (1976 WA) from Modra Obs. (May 11.94-04p4)
Observers on 12 May '17
Eleven observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|705"||Kristie Nault via Apache Point Obs. in New Mexico, 10 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 2017 JR1, 2017 JM2, 2017 HK1, 2017 HD49, 2017 AC5, 2016 JP, 2012 HN13, 2011 ED78, 483560, 456651|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 2 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 489235, 488803|
|695^||Spacewatch via Kitt Peak Natl. Obs. in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 490684|
|118||Modra Obs. in Slovakia, 1 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 2329|
|Z80||Northolt Branch Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 2102|
|J43||Oukaimeden Obs. in Morocco, 1 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 488490|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 2010 JH88, 136582|
|L04||ROASTERR-1 in Romania, 1 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 2017 AC5|
|204||Schiaparelli Obs. in Italy, 5 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 2002 BG25, 483878, 483662, 483563, 483471|
|926||Tenagra II Obs. in Arizona, 3 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 2017 JM2, 2017 JA2, 2017 HU49|
|C51||WISE in Earth polar orbit, 2 in MPEC 2017-J67 -- 66400, 484402|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 12 May '17
At last check (NEODyS at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.