Contents on 15 January '17
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- six observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 743 risk-listed objects, 36 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1732 UTC on 15 Jan.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated, nearby objects & NHATS targets
- News archive (old) & news image catalog (discontinued)
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers (mostly discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns (revised 8 April)
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 15 January '17
One object reported inside ten LD
Today one transient natural object is known to be inside ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet. 2017 AJ13 is headed away from 6.83 to 7.66 LD, while NHATS target 2016 YC8 will arrive inside the ten LD space tomorrow.
This report was generated at 1738 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical importance but is a useful boundary for reporting on transient natural objects that approach the actually significant gravitational sphere of influence (SOI), which has a radius of about 2.41 LD from Earth's center. This puts a focus on some of the most important and very best NEO observation work, representative of the much larger NEO discovery and tracking effort. Object distances are derived by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 15 January '17
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 46 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had 46 objects listed. Of these, seven were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 54 listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 15 January '17
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observation campaigns (NHATS targets, radar support)
- G4207 164207 2004 GU9 (NHATS) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Jan. 14.58-62p4)
-- NHATS target table & ephemerides
- Observations of other objects
- K16Y11F 2016 YF11 (arc=14 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from M. Kumrucu-Lohmiller via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. (Jan. 11.28-29p3)
- K16Y10Z 2016 YZ10 (arc=12 days, H=20.9 ~224m) from Kumrucu-Lohmiller/Slooh.com CIO (Jan. 10.15p2)
- K16X23Q 2016 XQ23 (Q=4.174 AU, arc=36 days, H=18.3 ~741m) from PS1 (Jan. 14.26-32p4)
- K13L01B 2013 LB1 (arc=3 opp, H=17.5 ~1.07 km) from PS1 (Jan. 14.45-47p3)
- K12X17E 2012 XE17 (arc=2 opp, H=20.1 ~323m) from PS1 (Jan. 14.54-58p4)
- K05T00F 2005 TF (arc=2 opp, H=20.2 ~309m) from Purple Mtn. Obs. Xuyi Station (Jan. 14.79-80p2)
- K03C11H 2003 CH11 (i=36.4°, arc=3 opp, H=19.5 ~426m) from PS1 (Jan. 14.23-24p3)
- Q2623 262623 2006 WY2 from ATLAS Haleakala (Jan. 13.60-63p4)
- O8083 248083 2004 QU24 from ATLAS Haleakala (Jan. 14.27-30p4)
- K3471 203471 2002 AU4 from Xuyi Sta. (Jan. 14.77-79p2)
- K3217 203217 2001 FX9 from Squirrel Valley Obs. (Jan. 15.08-09p3)
- E3624 143624 2003 HM16 from PS1 (Jan. 14.63-66p6)
- D7925 137925 2000 BJ19 from ATLAS Haleakala (Jan. 14.30-33p4)
- 87684 87684 2000 SY2 from ATLAS Haleakala (Jan. 14.21-24p4)
- 85804 85804 1998 WQ5 from PS1 (Jan. 14.26-32p4)
- 54789 54789 2001 MZ7 from ATLAS Haleakala (Jan. 14.31-34p4)
- 10150 10150 1994 PN from ATLAS Haleakala (Jan. 14.29-32p4)
- 01036 1036 Ganymed (1924 TD) from ATLAS Haleakala (Jan. 14.48-53p4)
- 00433 433 Eros (1898 DQ) from Castelmartini Obs. (Jan. 9.78p3)
Observers on 15 January '17
Six observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|T05||ATLAS Haleakala in Hawaii, 7 in MPEC 2017-A82 -- 87684, 54789, 262623, 248083, 137925, 10150, 1036|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2017-A82 -- 433|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 7 in MPEC 2017-A82 -- 2016 XQ23, 2013 LB1, 2012 XE17, 2003 CH11, 85804, 164207, 143624|
|D29||Purple Mtn. Obs. Xuyi Station in China, 2 in MPEC 2017-A82 -- 2005 TF, 203471|
|G40!||M. Kumrucu-Lohmiller in Massachusetts via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. in the Canary Islands, 2 in MPEC 2017-A82 -- 2016 YZ10, 2016 YF11|
|W34||Squirrel Valley Obs. in North Carolina, 1 in MPEC 2017-A82 -- 203217|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 15 January '17
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.