Contents on 18 December '13
- Traffic Report -- one object
- Radar Astrometry -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- twelve observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- two objects
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 526 risk-listed objects, 52 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1802 UTC on 18 Dec.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - (discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 18 December '13
One object reported inside ten LD
There is one visitor reported to be within ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today. Inside Earth's Hill sphere, 2013 XH22 comes its closest to Earth on this passage, reaching 1.93 LD at 1157 UT, and also its closest to the Moon -- 1.91 LD at 0606 UT.
This report was generated at 1757 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Earth's Hill sphere (of gravitational influence) is estimated to extend out to around 3.89 LD. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
Radar Astrometry on 18 December '13
Radar observation of one object
Data update noted at 2150 UTC when the database was dated 18 Dec.
- 2013 XH22 from Goldstone DSS-14 70m antenna (Dec. 18.09 velocity, 18.10 velocity, 18.12 velocity, 18.13 velocity, 18.14 range, 18.17 range, 18.20 velocity, 18.20 range & 18.21 velocity)
NEOCP Activity on 18 December '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 19 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had nineteen objects listed. Of these, six were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 20 listings on the NEOCP today.
New MPECs on 18 December '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K13W67T 2013 WT67 (arc=18 days, H=18.0 ~851m) from Tenagra II Obs. (Dec. 17.54-55p3)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- G3249 163249 2002 GT (PMD) from Rhozen Obs. (June 19.81-83p22 & 21.79-81p41)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K13X17G 2013 XG17 (Q=4.422 AU, arc=18 days, H=22.8 ~93m) from Farra d'Isonzo Obs. (Dec. 11.83-85p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13X22F 2013 XF22 from Tenagra II Obs. (Dec. 16.37-40p2)
- K13X08V 2013 XV8 from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Dec. 11.35-37p3)
- K13X04A 2013 XA4 from Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) (Dec. 17.32-33p8)
- K13X03W 2013 XW3 from ARO Westfield (Dec. 11.31-32p3)
- K11C04Q 2011 CQ4 (arc=3 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from Peschiera del Garda Obs. (Dec. 17.88-90p3)
- K10X67Z 2010 XZ67 (arc=2 opp, H=19.6 ~407m) from Barlad Obs. (Dec. 17.72-73p7)
- P1346 251346 2007 SJ from Montevenere Obs. (Dec. 17.73p3)
- G3696 163696 2003 EB50 from Barlad Obs. (Dec. 17.73-74p10) and Peschiera del Garda Obs. (Dec. 17.78-80p5)
- G2566 162566 2000 RJ34 from Montevenere Obs. (Dec. 17.75-77p3), Naef Obs. (Dec. 17.77-81p3), and MASTER-II Obs. Tunka (Dec. 18.47-48p3)
- 21088 21088 Chelyabinsk (1992 BL2) from Bernezzo Obs. (Dec. 17.90p4)
- 01627 1627 Ivar (1929 SH) from Barlad Obs. (Dec. 17.70-71p8)
Observers on 18 December '13
Twelve observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 2 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 2013 XW3, 2013 XV8|
|L22||Barlad Obs., 3 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 2010 XZ67, 163696, 1627|
|C77||Bernezzo Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 21088|
|595||Farra d'Isonzo Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 2013 XG17|
|253||Goldstone DSS-14 70m antenna in southern California, 1 in radar -- 2013 XH22|
|C94||MASTER-II Obs. Tunka in Russia, 1 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 162566|
|C91||Montevenere Obs., 2 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 251346, 162566|
|A13||Naef Obs. in Switzerland, 1 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 162566|
|A53||Peschiera del Garda Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 2011 CQ4, 163696|
|H45||Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. in Arkansas, 1 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 2013 XA4|
|071||Rhozen Obs. in Bulgaria, 1 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 163249|
|926||Tenagra II Obs. in Arizona, 2 in MPEC 2013-Y09 -- 2013 XF22, 2013 WT67|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 18 December '13
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2008 XK||JPL Sentry||0412||2015-2101||70||4.3e-07||-7.15||-7.62||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 12 observations spanning .08663 days (2008-Dec-02.28019 to 2008-Dec-02.36682)." Diameter approximately 0.012 km. from mean, weighted H=27.3.|
|2005 TM173||JPL Sentry||0412||2014-2110||127||8.6e-07||-5.42||-6.29||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 6 observations spanning 1.9467 days (2005-Oct-09.20072 to 2005-Oct-11.14743)." Diameter approximately 0.051 km. from mean, weighted H=24.1.|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 18 December '13
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2150||Grabbed MPEC 2013-Y09 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|
Noted Radar Astrometry database update - see above
|1757||Generated Traffic Report|
|0412||Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2005 TM173 risk assessment - see above|
Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2008 XK risk assessment - see above