Contents on 24 November '13
- Traffic Report -- two objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- nine observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 518 risk-listed objects, 48 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1742 UTC on 24 Nov.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - (discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 24 November '13
Two objects reported inside ten LD
There are two objects reported moving within ten lunar distances (LD) of our home planet today. Radar target 2013 NJ enters Earth's Hill sphere, coming in from 4.08 to 3.01 LD. Out further, radar target 2001 AV43 is headed away from 5.05 to 5.72 LD.
This report was generated at 1743 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Earth's Hill sphere (of gravitational influence) is estimated to extend out to around 3.89 LD. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 24 November '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 12 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had twelve objects listed. Of these, eight were "one nighters."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 24 November '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- J97W23Q 1997 WQ23 (arc=3 opp, H=20.6 ~257m, radar) from Blanquita Obs. (Nov. 23.80-81p3) and Tesla Obs. (Nov. 23.94-95p3)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13U09H 2013 UH9 (Q=4.118 AU, arc=27 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from Sandlot Obs. (Nov. 24.11-12p3)
- K13U03R 2013 UR3 (Q=5.098 AU, arc=32 days, H=17.1 ~1.29 km) from Fabra Obs. (Nov. 22.81-82p3), Blanquita Obs. (Nov. 23.81-82p3), and Don Cranford, Jr. via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. (Nov. 23.99-01p6)
- K13T80B 2013 TB80 (Q=4.357 AU, arc=45 days, H=17.5 ~1.07 km) from Blanquita Obs. (Nov. 23.82-83p3)
- K13R21E 2013 RE21 (arc=83 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from Sandlot Obs. (Nov. 24.14-16p3)
- K10C19L 2010 CL19 (arc=5 opp, H=17.7 ~977m) from Tesla Obs. (Nov. 23.77-83p9)
- K08D00E 2008 DE (arc=3 opp, H=19.5 ~426m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (2009 Oct. 18.58-59p2 at R=22.8-23.3 & 2009 Nov. 1.54-57p5 at R=22.5-23.0)
- K03W25X 2003 WX25 (Q=4.604 AU, arc=3 opp, H=18.6 ~645m) from Blanquita Obs. (Nov. 23.78-79p3)
- J99S10K 1999 SK10 (arc=3 opp, H=19.6 ~407m) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Nov. 23.23-27p4)
- G2566 162566 2000 RJ34 from Mt. Tuffley Obs. (Nov. 24.03-04p3)
- E2781 142781 2002 UM11 from Fabra Obs. (Nov. 22.85-86p3) and Mt. Tuffley Obs. (Nov. 24.05p3)
- 53435 53435 1999 VM40 from Mt. Tuffley Obs. (Nov. 24.06-07p3)
- 39565 39565 1992 SL from Oukaimeden Obs. (Nov. 20.83-87p4)
- 09950 9950 ESA (1990 VB) from Mt. Tuffley Obs. (Nov. 24.02-03p3)
- 08201 8201 1994 AH2 from PS1 (Nov. 23.34-35p2)
- 04450 4450 Pan (1987 SY) from Oukaimeden Obs. (Nov. 23.83-87p4)
- 01627 1627 Ivar (1929 SH) from Fabra Obs. (Nov. 22.83-84p3) and Mt. Tuffley Obs. (Nov. 24.01-02p3)
Observers on 24 November '13
Nine observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|I99||Blanquita Obs. in Spain, 4 in MPEC 2013-W11 -- 2013 UR3, 2013 TB80, 2003 WX25, 1997 WQ23|
|006||Fabra Obs. in Spain, 3 in MPEC 2013-W11 -- 2013 UR3, 142781, 1627|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-W11 -- 2008 DE|
|J93||Mt. Tuffley Obs. in England, 5 in MPEC 2013-W11 -- 53435, 162566, 142781, 9950, 1627|
|J43||Oukaimeden Obs. in Morocco, 2 in MPEC 2013-W11 -- 39565, 4450|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2013-W11 -- 1999 SK10, 8201|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 2 in MPEC 2013-W11 -- 2013 UH9, 2013 RE21|
|G404||Don Cranford, Jr. in North Carolina via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2013-W11 -- 2013 UR3|
|I76||Tesla Obs. in Spain, 2 in MPEC 2013-W11 -- 2010 CL19, 1997 WQ23|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 24 November '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.