Contents on 23 November '13
- Traffic Report -- two objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- nine observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 518 risk-listed objects, 48 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1630 UTC on 23 Nov.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - (discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 23 November '13
Two objects reported inside ten LD
Two objects are reported to be within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Radar target 2013 NJ is inbound from 5.38 to 4.08 LD and radar target 2001 AV43 is outbound from 4.43 to 5.05 LD. Next known to be coming inside ten LD is 2011 YD29, which arrives late next month.
This report was generated at 1631 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 23 November '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 5 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had five objects listed. All of these were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of ten listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 23 November '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- J97W23Q 1997 WQ23 (arc=3 opp, H=20.6 ~257m, radar) from Mataro Obs. (Nov. 22.88p2)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K13U05R 2013 UR5 (arc=23 days, H=23.0 ~85m) from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 20.08-09p3)
- K13T06B 2013 TB6 (arc=46 days, H=22.6 ~102m) from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 19.17-18p2)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13U03R 2013 UR3 (Q=5.098 AU, arc=31 days, H=17.1 ~1.29 km) from ROASTERR-1 Obs. (Nov. 22.75-76p4 & 22.92-93p2) and Blanquita Obs. (Nov. 22.96-97p3)
- K13U00C 2013 UC (arc=35 days, H=21.7 ~155m) from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 20.29-30p3)
- K10H80R 2010 HR80 (arc=4 opp, H=19.8 ~371m) from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 19.11-12p2)
- K09X01Z 2009 XZ1 (arc=4 opp, H=21.5 ~170m) from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 19.49-50p3)
- K09Q34D 2009 QD34 (arc=2 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 19.47-48p3)
- K08T02Q 2008 TQ2 (arc=3 opp, H=20.9 ~224m) from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 19.44-45p3)
- K08D00E 2008 DE (arc=2 opp, H=19.6 ~407m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (Sept. 10.62-63p2 at R=23.2-4)
- K06H30U 2006 HU30 (arc=4 opp, H=19.6 ~407m) from Purple Mtn. Obs. Xuyi Station (Nov. 22.63-65p3)
- K04RP2D 2004 RD252 (arc=5 opp, H=19.0 ~537m) from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 19.09-10p3)
- K01C32A 2001 CA32 (arc=4 opp, H=19.5 ~426m) from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 19.13-15p3)
- b6864 376864 2001 TP103 from McDonald Obs. (Nov. 19.15-16p3)
- G2273 162273 1999 VL12 from NEAT's GEODSS Haleakala telescope (1997 Nov. 28.63p1), NEAT's Mt. Palomar telescope (2001 Dec. 17.08p1 & 2001 Dec. 17.13p1), NEAT's USAF Haleakala telescope (2001 Dec. 22.29-30p2 & 2002 Jan. 2.30-33p3), and Xuyi Sta. (Nov. 22.58-62p3)
- 09950 9950 ESA (1990 VB) from Blanquita Obs. (Nov. 22.97-98p3)
Observers on 23 November '13
Nine observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|I99||Blanquita Obs. in Spain, 2 in MPEC 2013-W10 -- 2013 UR3, 9950|
|A06||Mataro Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2013-W10 -- 1997 WQ23|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-W10 -- 2008 DE|
|711||McDonald Obs. in Texas, 10 in MPEC 2013-W10 -- 2013 UR5, 2013 UC, 2013 TB6, 2010 HR80, 2009 XZ1, 2009 QD34, 2008 TQ2, 2004 RD252, 2001 CA32, 376864|
|566||NEAT's GEODSS Haleakala telescope in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-W10 -- 162273|
|644||NEAT's Mt. Palomar telescope in southern California, 1 in MPEC 2013-W10 -- 162273|
|608||NEAT's USAF Haleakala telescope in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-W10 -- 162273|
|D29||Purple Mtn. Obs. Xuyi Station in China, 2 in MPEC 2013-W10 -- 2006 HU30, 162273|
|L04||ROASTERR-1 Obs., 1 in MPEC 2013-W10 -- 2013 UR3|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 23 November '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.