Contents on 19 September '13
- Traffic Report -- five objects
- Radar Astrometry -- three objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 514 risk-listed objects, 31 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1503 UTC on 19 Sept.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - last updated 20 Feb. (discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 19 September '13
Five objects reported inside ten LD
Five objects are reported inside ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Tiny risk-listed intruder 2013 RZ53, which may be an artificial object, remains inside the Earth-Moon system until tomorrow. More distantly, 2013 RM73 is outbound from 4.94 to 6.98 LD, 2013 RF74 from 5.56 to 6.32 LD, risk-listed 2013 RS43 from 7.66 to 8.90 LD, and 2013 RT73 exits ten LD, traveling from 9.53 to 10.57 LD.
This report was generated at 1505 UTC with today's DOU MPEC carrying observation of departed 2013 QE16 from two weeks ago and of distant radar target 152664 1998 FW4.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
Radar Astrometry on 19 September '13
Radar observation of three objects
Data update noted at 2000 UTC when the database was dated 19 Sept.
- 2062 1976 AA from Arecibo (June 29.65 range)
Data update noted at 2317 UTC when the database was dated 19 Sept.
- 17188 1999 WC2 from Arecibo (June 27.22 range)
- 1627 1929 SH from Arecibo (June 27.40 range & July 4.38 range)
NEOCP Activity on 19 September '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 16 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had sixteen objects listed. Of these, two were "one nighters."
New MPECs on 19 September '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K13R74H 2013 RH74 (arc=3 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from Estrella de Mar Obs. (Sept. 17.98-06p4)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K13Q16E 2013 QE16 (arc=8 days, H=26.5 ~17m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Sept. 4.99p3)
- F2664 152664 1998 FW4 (radar support) from CS3/Palmer Divide (Sept. 14.26-29p2, 14.35p1, 14.41p1, 15.26-36p4, 16.32p1, 16.37p1, 16.42p1, 17.28-33p3, 18.25-27p2 & 18.31p1) and Keyhole Obs. (Sept. 17.94-95p5)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- W9437 329437 2002 OA22 (PMD, radar) from CS3 Palmer Divide Station (Sept. 14.27-30p2, 14.38p1, 15.27-37p4, 16.27-38p4, 17.31p1 & 17.36-40p2) and Keyhole Obs. (Sept. 17.92-93p5)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K13P26F 2013 PF26 (arc=34 days, H=23.8 ~59m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (Sept. 11.30-31p2)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13P43N 2013 PN43 (arc=29 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from KLENOT (Sept. 6.86-87p7)
- K13M05X 2013 MX5 (arc=2 opp, H=18.9 ~562m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Sept. 4.99-00p3)
- K10T54N 2010 TN54 (arc=3 opp, H=19.2 ~490m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Sept. 4.98-99p3)
- K09C05P 2009 CP5 (arc=4 opp, H=21.5 ~170m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Sept. 4.97-98p3)
- Z0988 350988 2003 GW from Keyhole Obs. (Sept. 17.96-97p5)
Observers on 19 September '13
Seven observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|251||Arecibo in Puerto Rico, 3 in radar -- 17188, 2062, 1627|
|U82||CS3 Palmer Divide Station in southern California, 2 in MPEC 2013-S23 -- 329437, 152664|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2013-S23 -- 2013 QE16, 2013 MX5, 2010 TN54, 2009 CP5|
|Z81||Estrella de Mar Obs., 1 in MPEC 2013-S23 -- 2013 RH74|
|246||KLENOT in the Czech Republic, 1 in MPEC 2013-S23 -- 2013 PN43|
|K48||Keyhole Obs., 3 in MPEC 2013-S23 -- 350988, 329437, 152664|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-S23 -- 2013 PF26|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 19 September '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.