Contents on 24 August '13
- Traffic Report -- no objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- sixteen observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 510 risk-listed objects, 433 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1415 UTC on 24 Aug.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - last updated 20 Feb. (discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 24 August '13
No objects reported inside ten LD
No objects are reported passing within ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today, but radar target 2013 QR1 arrives inside ten LD tomorrow.
This report was generated at 1416 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for 2013 QR1 and for departed objects 2013 PR43 and radar target 277475 2005 WK4.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 24 August '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 7 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had seven objects listed.
New MPECs on 24 August '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K13Q01R 2013 QR1 (i=45.7°, arc=7 days, H=21.5 ~170m, radar support) from SATINO-1 (Aug. 20.87-93p14), Betelgeuse Station (Aug. 20.87-88p6 & 21.87-88p4), Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) (Aug. 22.27-29p28), Olmen Obs. (Aug. 23.85-86p6), and Ceccano Obs. (Aug. 23.91p3)
- K13P43R 2013 PR43 (arc=5 days, H=23.5 ~68m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (Aug. 20.18-19p5)
- R7475 277475 2005 WK4 (radar support) from Insperity Obs. (Aug. 22.25-27p3)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- S5263 285263 1998 QE2 (radar) from Insperity Obs. (Aug. 22.11-13p3)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K13P07C 2013 PC7 (arc=14 days, H=22.3 ~117m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 18.01p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13P43N 2013 PN43 (arc=11 days, H=20.5 ~269m) from Sandlot Obs. (Aug. 24.13-19p4)
- K13P10F 2013 PF10 (arc=11 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (Aug. 13.50-51p3)
- K13O09M 2013 OM9 (arc=24 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from PJMSO (Aug. 22.34-35p6) and Arcadia Obs. (Aug. 23.51-52p3)
- K13N23X 2013 NX23 (arc=39 days, H=18.7 ~616m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Aug. 23.39-41p3)
- K13K01R 2013 KR1 (arc=98 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from SONEAR Obs. (Aug. 22.23p3)
- K11B40D 2011 BD40 (arc=2 opp, H=20.6 ~257m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Aug. 23.35-38p3)
- K10T54N 2010 TN54 (arc=3 opp, H=19.2 ~490m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Aug. 22.18-19p4)
- K07M13L 2007 ML13 (arc=3 opp, H=20.1 ~323m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Aug. 23.43-46p3)
- Z4101 354101 2001 YF1 from Desert Moon Obs. (Aug. 23.27-30p2)
- Z0513 350513 2000 BG19 from Desert Moon Obs. (Aug. 23.12-18p3)
- 85804 85804 1998 WQ5 from ARO Westfield (Aug. 22.08-10p5)
- 52762 52762 1998 MT24 from ARO Westfield (Aug. 22.12-14p5)
- 11405 11405 1999 CV3 from CS3 Palmer Divide Station (Aug. 14.17-26p4, 15.19-23p3, 16.17-23p4, 17.17-23p4 & 18.17-23p4) and San Vito Obs. (Aug. 23.82-83p4)
Observers on 24 August '13
Sixteen observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|E23||Arcadia Obs. in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 OM9|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 3 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2010 TN54, 85804, 52762|
|B75||Betelgeuse Station in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 QR1|
|U82||CS3 Palmer Divide Station in southern California, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 11405|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 PC7|
|470||Ceccano Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 QR1|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 PR43|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 5 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 NX23, 2011 BD40, 2007 ML13, 354101, 350513|
|G41||Insperity Obs., 2 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 285263, 277475|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 PF10|
|C23||Olmen Obs. in Belgium, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 QR1|
|H45||Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) in Arkansas, 2 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 QR1, 2013 OM9|
|C95||SATINO-1 in France, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 QR1|
|Y00||SONEAR Obs. in Brazil, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 KR1|
|233||San Vito Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 11405|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 1 in MPEC 2013-Q28 -- 2013 PN43|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 24 August '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.