Contents on 30 July '13
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- fourteen observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 504 risk-listed objects, 16 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1434 UTC on 30 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - last updated 20 Feb. (discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 30 July '13
One object reported inside ten LD
There is one visitor reported traveling inside ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today. 2003 DZ15 comes its closest to Earth this time around, reaching 9.07 LD at 0036 UT. Coming to the neighborhood next, 277475 2005 WK4 arrives inside ten LD on August 6th.
This report was generated at 1436 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for 2013 OY3 and 2003 DZ15.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 30 July '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 6 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had six objects listed. Of these, one was a "one nighter." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of twelve listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 30 July '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K13O00H 2013 OH (arc=12 days, H=21.0 ~214m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (July 28.35-36p4)
- K03D15Z 2003 DZ15 (small asteroid, arc=2 opp, H=22.3 ~117m, close passer) from Bernezzo Obs. (July 29.88p4)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K13O03Y 2013 OY3 (arc=3 days, H=24.7 ~39m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (July 28.41p2 & 29.39-40p2)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- S5263 285263 1998 QE2 (radar) from Olmen Obs. (July 28.97-99p5)
- F3349 153349 2001 PJ9 (radar) from Olmen Obs. (July 28.97-98p6)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small (H>22.0) & smallish (21.7<H<=22.0) asteroids
- K13O02O 2013 OO2 (arc=12 days, H=23.1 ~81m) from ARO Westfield (July 28.36-38p4 & 29.36-37p3) and the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (July 29.43p2)
- K13O00F 2013 OF (arc=13 days, H=23.5 ~68m) from ARO Westfield (July 29.18-20p3)
- K13N15C 2013 NC15 (arc=15 days, H=22.1 ~129m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (July 25.19-20p3)
- K13N10L 2013 NL10 (arc=22 days, H=22.8 ~93m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (July 29.43p2)
- K10R42L 2010 RL42 (arc=2 opp, H=22.6 ~102m) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (July 28.36-39p3) and LCOGT Cerro Tololo C (July 29.14-16p6)
- K13O02V 2013 OV2 (arc=12 days, H=21.9 ~141m) from ARO Westfield (July 29.21-22p4)
- K13M11P 2013 MP11 (arc=28 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from ARO Westfield (July 28.33-34p4)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13O04D 2013 OD4 (arc=3 days, H=21.0 ~214m) from Zvezdno Obshtestvo Obs. (July 29.92-93p3) and St. Pardon de Conques Obs. (July 29.97-00p2)
- K13O00G 2013 OG (arc=13 days, H=20.5 ~269m) from ARO Westfield (July 29.24-25p5)
- K13N23X 2013 NX23 (arc=14 days, H=18.5 ~676m) from ARO Westfield (July 28.38-39p4 & 29.38-39p4)
- K13N11T 2013 NT11 (i=53.5°, arc=19 days, H=19.3 ~467m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 25.21p3)
- K13N11P 2013 NP11 (arc=20 days, H=21.5 ~170m) from ARO Westfield (July 29.16-18p3)
- K13N00V 2013 NV (arc=28 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (July 29.14-16p3)
- K13M07H 2013 MH7 (i=55.8°, arc=28 days, H=19.5 ~426m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 24.98-99p3)
- K13M00R 2013 MR (arc=42 days, H=21.7 ~155m) from ARO Westfield (July 29.13-16p3 at V=22.2)
- K13L16H 2013 LH16 (Q=5.307 AU, arc=52 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (July 29.12-13p3)
- K05X08K 2005 XK8 (arc=4 opp, H=19.8 ~371m) from ARO Westfield (July 29.34-37p3 at V=21.9-22.1)
- K04T20P 2004 TP20 (arc=3 opp, H=19.9 ~355m) from ARO Westfield (July 29.18-22p3 at V=22.2-6)
- O3147 243147 2007 TX18 from Etscorn Obs. (July 8.27p1) and Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (July 16.13p1)
- 96189 96189 Pygmalion (1991 NT3) from ARO Westfield (July 29.10-11p5)
- 54789 54789 2001 MZ7 from Hidetaka Sato via iTelescope Obs. Siding Spring (July 29.50p3)
- 21088 21088 1992 BL2 from El Maestrat Obs. (July 30.08-12p7)
- 12711 12711 Tukmit (1991 BB) from program code 1 via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. (July 22.14-18p3, 23.16-18p2, 24.15-18p2 & 25.06-12p3)
- 11405 11405 1999 CV3 from ARO Westfield (July 29.09-11p7)
Observers on 30 July '13
Fourteen observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 15 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 2013 OV2, 2013 OO2, 2013 OH, 2013 OG, 2013 OF, 2013 NX23, 2013 NV, 2013 NP11, 2013 MR, 2013 MP11, 2013 LH16, 2005 XK8, 2004 TP20, 96189, 11405|
|C77||Bernezzo Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 2003 DZ15|
|807||Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 243147|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 3 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 2013 NT11, 2013 NC15, 2013 MH7|
|J19||El Maestrat Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 21088|
|719||Etscorn Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 243147|
|W87||LCOGT Cerro Tololo C in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 2010 RL42|
|C23||Olmen Obs. in Belgium, 2 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 285263, 153349|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 2010 RL42|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 2013 OY3|
|G401||program code 1 via Slooh.com Canary Islands Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 12711|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 2 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 2013 OO2, 2013 NL10|
|I93||St. Pardon de Conques Obs. in France, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 2013 OD4|
|A79||Zvezdno Obshtestvo Obs. in Bulgaria, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 2013 OD4|
|Q621||Hidetaka Sato in Japan via iTelescope Obs. Siding Spring in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2013-O63 -- 54789|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 30 July '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.