Contents on 24 July '13
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 504 risk-listed objects, 19 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1428 UTC on 24 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - last updated 20 Feb. (discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 24 July '13
One object reported inside ten LD
One asteroid is reported to be possibly inside a radius of ten lunar distances (LD) from our home world today. 2006 BL8 may enter ten LD, traveling from 10.8 to 9.7 LD* (uncertainty +/- two days). Coming our way next, 2003 DZ15 arrives inside ten LD on July 28th.
This report was generated at 1431 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. "LD*" indicates some passage uncertainty. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 24 July '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 17 listings
When last checked at 1901 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had seventeen objects listed. Of these, two were "one nighters."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 24 July '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 1901 UTC, there have been two MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2013-O36 time-stamped "02:35 UT" - 2012 TY52 - see below
- MPEC 2013-O37 time-stamped "06:01 UT" - Daily Orbit Update
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- G3249 163249 2002 GT (PMD) from the SZTE Asteroid Program (June 18.98-99p15)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS
- Observations of small (H>22.0) & smallish (21.7<H<=22.0) asteroids
- K03U05D 2003 UD5 (arc=33 days, H=23.3 ~74m) from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) (2003 Nov. 20.34p2)
- K02L24T 2002 LT24 (q=0.363 AU, arc=3 opp, H=22.1 ~129m) from Ovidiu Vaduvescu via La Palma (June 27.10p6)
- K13O02V 2013 OV2 (arc=3 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from SZTE (July 19.99p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K11P01O 2011 PO1 (Q=4.116 AU, arc=167 days, H=20.9 ~224m) from Schwarzschild Obs. (2011 Aug. 4.95-96p5)
- K07X09Y 2007 XY9 (arc=3 opp, H=21.0 ~214m) from Klet Obs. (July 15.94p3)
- K06U63D 2006 UD63 (arc=3 opp, H=18.8 ~589m) from SDSS (2002 March 12.25p3)
- Z4952 354952 2006 FJ9 from Klet Obs. (July 15.95-96p4)
- 52762 52762 1998 MT24 from Klet Obs. (July 15.96-97p4)
- 17188 17188 1999 WC2 from Danastro Obs. (July 19.88-91p3)
MPEC 2013-O36 - "02:35 UT" - 2012 TY52
Observers on 24 July '13
Seven observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|K20||Danastro Obs., 1 in MPEC 2013-O37 -- 17188|
|046||Klet Obs. in the Czech Republic, 3 in MPEC 2013-O37 -- 2007 XY9, 52762, 354952|
|950.||Ovidiu Vaduvescu via La Palma in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2013-O37 -- 2002 LT24|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-O36 -- 2012 TY52|
|461||SZTE Asteroid Program in Hungary, 2 in MPEC 2013-O37 -- 2013 OV2, 163249|
|033||Schwarzschild Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2013-O37 -- 2011 PO1|
|645||Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) in New Mexico, 2 in MPEC 2013-O37 -- 2006 UD63, 2003 UD5|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 24 July '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 1901 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.