Contents on 12 July '13
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seventeen observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- one object
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 506 risk-listed objects, 20 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1322 UTC on 12 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 20 Feb.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 12 July '13
One object reported inside ten LD
One object is reported to be within ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today. 2013 NJ4 is outbound from 6.52 to 7.52 LD.
This report was generated at 1325 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 12 July '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 7 listings
When last checked at 2313 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had seven objects listed. Of these, five were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of twelve listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 12 July '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2313 UTC, there have been three MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2013-N42 time-stamped "06:02 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2013-N43 time-stamped "09:55 UT" - 2013 NS11 - see below
- MPEC 2013-N44 time-stamped "09:59 UT" - 2013 NT11
MPEC 2013-N44 - "09:59 UT" - 2013 NT11
- K13N11T 2013 NT11 (i=53.2°, H=19.2 ~490m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (July 8.63-66p4), Cruz del Sur Obs. (July 9.15-19p3), Sandlot Obs. (July 9.39p3 & 11.30p3), Great Shefford Obs. (July 10.06-08p3 & 12.02-03p3), LCOGT Sutherland A (July 10.06-07p4), Arcadia Obs. (July 10.70-71p2), Saint-Barthelemy Obs. (July 11.98-99p3), and Santa Maria de Montmagastrell Obs. (July 12.09-10p3)
MPEC 2013-N43 - "09:55 UT" - 2013 NS11
- K13N11S 2013 NS11 (i=130.5°, q=2.765 AU, Q=22.748 AU, H=13.2 ~7.76 km) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (July 5.27-28p6 & 6.27-29p5), Marco Micheli on Mauna Kea (July 6.26p6 & 12.29p3), Great Shefford Obs. (July 6.95-96p2, 7.93-95p2 & 11.92-94p2), and Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (July 8.14-16p3 & 12.13-15p4)
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K13M03L 2013 ML3 (small asteroid, arc=23 days, H=22.3 ~117m) from Great Shefford Obs. (July 11.98-99p3)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- S5263 285263 1998 QE2 (radar) from Olmen Obs. (July 9.90p3, 9.95-96p2 & 10.06p3)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small (H>22.0) & smallish (21.7<H<=22.0) asteroids
- K13N00X 2013 NX (arc=9 days, H=22.1 ~129m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.30-31p5)
- K13L07F 2013 LF7 (arc=30 days, H=22.1 ~129m) from LCOGT Cerro Tololo A (June 8.10-11p3)
- K13M11P 2013 MP11 (arc=11 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.32-34p3)
- K13L16F 2013 LF16 (arc=34 days, H=21.9 ~141m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.16-17p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13N00K 2013 NK (arc=10 days, H=21.4 ~178m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.27-29p3)
- K13M06Y 2013 MY6 (i=52.2°, arc=20 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.19-21p3) and Mirasteilas Obs. (July 11.87-89p3)
- K13M06R 2013 MR6 (i=36.2°, Q=4.183 AU, arc=22 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.18-19p3)
- K13M05Y 2013 MY5 (arc=23 days, H=19.5 ~426m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.36-37p3)
- K13M05X 2013 MX5 (arc=23 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.35-36p3)
- K13L28W 2013 LW28 (arc=29 days, H=18.7 ~616m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.18-19p2)
- K13L01B 2013 LB1 (arc=40 days, H=17.5 ~1.07 km) from ARO Westfield (July 11.31-32p3)
- K13J22Q 2013 JQ22 (arc=62 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.16-18p3 at V=21.7-22.1)
- K13G79Z 2013 GZ79 (arc=102 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.22-23p3)
- K13G34C 2013 GC34 (Q=4.157 AU, arc=96 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.20-23p3 at V=22.2-4)
- K11D19L 2011 DL19 (arc=2 opp, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.10-11p3)
- K04F05E 2004 FE5 (arc=5 opp, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.31-32p3)
- K03H02G 2003 HG2 (arc=2 opp, H=21.3 ~186m) from NEAT's USAF Haleakala telescope (2003 May 10.32-34p3)
- Z0964 350964 2003 BT35 from ARO Westfield (July 11.23-24p3)
- Y0666 340666 2006 RO36 from Baxter Garden Obs. (July 11.95-96p3)
- O3147 243147 2007 TX18 from Urseanu Obs. (July 10.92-96p6)
- A1873 101873 1999 NC5 from PS1 (July 9.31-33p2) and ARO Westfield (July 11.20-22p3)
- 52760 52760 1998 ML14 from LCOGT Sutherland A (July 11.76-81p34)
- 17188 17188 1999 WC2 from Urseanu Obs. (July 10.89-91p4 & 10.96p1)
Observers on 12 July '13
Seventeen observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|E23||Arcadia Obs. in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2013-N44 -- 2013 NT11|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 18 in MPECs 2013-N42 & 2013-N43 -- 2013 NX, 2013 NS11, 2013 NK, 2013 MY6, 2013 MY5, 2013 MX5, 2013 MR6, 2013 MP11, 2013 LW28, 2013 LF16, 2013 LB1, 2013 JQ22, 2013 GZ79, 2013 GC34, 2011 DL19, 2004 FE5, 350964, 101873|
|I74||Baxter Garden Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2013-N42 -- 340666|
|I39||Cruz del Sur Obs. in Argentina, 1 in MPEC 2013-N44 -- 2013 NT11|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 3 in MPECs 2013-N42, 2013-N43 & 2013-N44 -- 2013 NT11, 2013 NS11, 2013 ML3|
|W85||LCOGT Cerro Tololo A in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2013-N42 -- 2013 LF7|
|K91||LCOGT Sutherland A in South Africa, 2 in MPECs 2013-N42 & 2013-N44 -- 2013 NT11, 52760|
|568_||Marco Micheli on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-N43 -- 2013 NS11|
|B67||Mirasteilas Obs. in Switzerland, 1 in MPEC 2013-N42 -- 2013 MY6|
|608||NEAT's USAF Haleakala telescope in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-N42 -- 2003 HG2|
|C23||Olmen Obs. in Belgium, 1 in MPEC 2013-N42 -- 285263|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 2 in MPECs 2013-N42 & 2013-N43 -- 2013 NS11, 101873|
|B04||Saint-Barthelemy Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-N44 -- 2013 NT11|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 1 in MPEC 2013-N44 -- 2013 NT11|
|B74||Santa Maria de Montmagastrell Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2013-N44 -- 2013 NT11|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2013-N44 -- 2013 NT11|
|A92||Urseanu Obs. in Romania, 2 in MPEC 2013-N42 -- 243147, 17188|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 12 July '13
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2013 ML3||JPL Sentry||1322||2109||4||7.1e-07||-5.21||-5.46||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 158 observations spanning 22.727 days (2013-Jun-19.27039 to 2013-Jul-11.99773)." Diameter approximately 0.120 km. from mean, weighted H=22.3.|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 12 July '13
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1325||Generated Traffic Report|
|1322||Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2013 ML3 risk assessment - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2013-N42 - Daily Orbit Update - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2013-N43 - 2013 NS11 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2013-N44 - 2013 NT11 - see above