Contents on 10 July '13
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- fourteen observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- two objects
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 506 risk-listed objects, 20 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1529 UTC on 10 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 20 Feb.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 10 July '13
One object reported inside ten LD
There is one object reported inside ten lunar distances (LD) from our planet today. 2013 NJ4 is heading out from 4.82 to 5.60 LD.
This report was generated at 1530 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 10 July '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 11 listings
When last checked at 1828 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had eleven objects listed. Of these, one was a "one nighter." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of seventeen listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 10 July '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 1828 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K13N10J 2013 NJ10 (arc=5 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from LCOGT Sutherland A (July 9.85-86p3)
- K13M03L 2013 ML3 (small asteroid, arc=20 days, H=22.3 ~117m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (July 4.53p3), Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (July 8.29p3), and Great Shefford Obs. (July 8.99-03p3)
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K13L16H 2013 LH16 (Q=5.307 AU, arc=31 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (July 8.13p3)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- S5263 285263 1998 QE2 (radar) from Olmen Obs. (July 7.95p3 & 8.04p3)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small (H>22.0) & smallish (21.7<H<=22.0) asteroids
- K13N10L 2013 NL10 (arc=2 days, H=22.6 ~102m) from Great Shefford Obs. (July 10.02-03p3)
- K13N10H 2013 NH10 (arc=6 days, H=22.9 ~89m) from LCOGT Sutherland A (July 9.93-95p13)
- K13N08M 2013 NM8 (arc=7 days, H=22.6 ~102m) from Marco Micheli on Mauna Kea (July 8.35-36p4)
- K13L07E 2013 LE7 (arc=28 days, H=27.3 ~12m) from Tholen team/Mauna Kea (July 4.45-46p4 at R=22.0-22.7)
- K13L02B 2013 LB2 (arc=34 days, H=22.7 ~98m) from ARO Westfield (July 8.31-33p2)
- K13N08Q 2013 NQ8 (arc=2 days, H=21.9 ~141m) from Moriyama Obs. (July 8.71-72p2)
- K13N00X 2013 NX (arc=6 days, H=22.0 ~135m) from ARO Westfield (July 8.34-35p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13M07H 2013 MH7 (i=55.8°, arc=11 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from Mt. John Obs. (July 8.38-39p5)
- K13M06Y 2013 MY6 (i=52.2°, arc=17 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from ARO Westfield (July 8.21-22p3)
- K13M06R 2013 MR6 (i=36.2°, Q=4.183 AU, arc=19 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (July 8.17-18p3)
- K13M00R 2013 MR (arc=21 days, H=21.7 ~155m) from ARO Westfield (July 8.24-25p2)
- K13G79Z 2013 GZ79 (arc=100 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from ARO Westfield (July 8.27-28p3) and Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) (July 9.26-27p6)
- K13G68Y 2013 GY68 (Q=4.230 AU, arc=89 days, H=20.8 ~234m) from ARO Westfield (July 8.36-37p3)
- K13EC8W 2013 EW128 (arc=116 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from PJMSO (July 9.31p6)
- K11G03D 2011 GD3 (arc=3 opp, H=19.0 ~537m) from the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (2008 April 24.20-22p3)
- K11D19L 2011 DL19 (arc=2 opp, H=18.9 ~562m) from PJMSO (July 9.22p6)
- K07X09Y 2007 XY9 (arc=3 opp, H=21.0 ~214m) from PJMSO (July 9.22-23p8)
- K06N00L 2006 NL (q=0.360 AU, arc=4 opp, H=19.8 ~371m) from PJMSO (July 9.32p6)
- K03L06O 2003 LO6 (Q=4.586 AU, arc=4 opp, H=16.9 ~1.41 km) from Bergen-Enkheim Obs. (July 7.96p1 & 8.96-02p3)
- a5449 365449 2010 NJ1 from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (July 9.47-50p3)
- a3075 363075 2000 OG8 from PS1 (July 9.41-45p4)
- Y0666 340666 2006 RO36 from Baxter Garden Obs. (July 9.96-97p4)
- K9924 209924 2005 WS55 from PS1 (July 9.47-51p3)
- G2269 162269 1999 VO6 from Baxter Garden Obs. (July 9.93-94p3)
- D7199 137199 1999 KX4 from PS1 (July 9.37-40p3)
- 19356 19356 1997 GH3 from PS1 (July 9.38-41p4)
- 17188 17188 1999 WC2 from Danastro Obs. (July 7.97-01p7)
- 05653 5653 Camarillo (1992 WD5) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (July 8.68-71p4)
Observers on 10 July '13
Fourteen observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 9 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2013 NX, 2013 MY6, 2013 MR6, 2013 MR, 2013 ML3, 2013 LH16, 2013 LB2, 2013 GZ79, 2013 GY68|
|I74||Baxter Garden Obs. in England, 2 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 340666, 162269|
|A74||Bergen-Enkheim Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2003 LO6|
|K20||Danastro Obs., 1 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 17188|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 2 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2013 NL10, 2013 ML3|
|K91||LCOGT Sutherland A in South Africa, 2 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2013 NJ10, 2013 NH10|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2013 ML3, 2013 LE7|
|568_||Marco Micheli on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2013 NM8|
|900||Moriyama Obs. in Japan, 1 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2013 NQ8|
|474||Mt. John Obs. in New Zealand, 1 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2013 MH7|
|C23||Olmen Obs. in Belgium, 1 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 285263|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 5 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 365449, 363075, 209924, 19356, 137199|
|H45||Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) in Arkansas, 5 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2013 GZ79, 2013 EW128, 2011 DL19, 2007 XY9, 2006 NL|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 5653|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2013-N37 -- 2011 GD3|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 10 July '13
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2013 NJ10||JPL Sentry||1512||2069-2112||6||3.7e-08||-4.65||-4.73||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 13 observations spanning 5.4208 days (2013-Jul-04.44266 to 2013-Jul-09.863462)." Diameter approximately 0.612 km. from mean, weighted H=18.7.|
|NEODyS||1512||2028-2028||1||1.08e-07||-3.47||-3.47||0||NEODyS: "Based on 13 optical observations (of which 0 are rejected as outliers) from 2013-07-04.443 to 2013-07-09.864."|
|2013 ML3||JPL Sentry||1512||2109||4||6.6e-07||-5.25||-5.51||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 151 observations spanning 19.758 days (2013-Jun-19.27039 to 2013-Jul-09.02803)." Diameter approximately 0.120 km. from mean, weighted H=22.3.|
|NEODyS||1512||2109-2109||5||1.82e-06||-4.81||-4.91||0||NEODyS: "Based on 153 optical observations (of which 6 are rejected as outliers) from 2013-06-19.271 to 2013-07-09.029."|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 10 July '13
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1530||Generated Traffic Report|
|1512||Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2013 ML3 risk assessment - see above|
Noted that NEODyS has updated its 2013 ML3 risk assessment - see above
Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2013 NJ10 risk assessment - see above
Noted that NEODyS has posted 2013 NJ10 as an impact risk - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2013-N37 - Daily Orbit Update - see above