Contents on 30 May '13
- Traffic Report -- no objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- nine observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 505 risk-listed objects, 20 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1304 UTC on 30 May.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 20 Feb.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 30 May '13
No objects reported inside ten LD
No asteroids are reported to be traveling within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Coming into the neighborhood next, 2009 FE arrives inside ten LD on June 2nd.
This report was generated at 1306 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 30 May '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 6 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had six objects listed. Of these, three were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of eight listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 30 May '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there have been two MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2013-K45 time-stamped "06:05 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2013-K46 time-stamped "11:53 UT" - 2002 KK8
MPEC 2013-K46 - "11:53 UT" - 2002 KK8
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K13J28R 2013 JR28 (arc=18 days, H=21.5 ~170m) from the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (May 29.28-29p3) and Paus Obs. (May 29.95-97p3)
- K13J14M 2013 JM14 (arc=20 days, H=21.5 ~170m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (May 29.39-40p3)
- K13G69G 2013 GG69 (Q=4.476 AU, arc=50 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (May 30.16-18p3)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K13J22U 2013 JU22 (arc=17 days, H=25.1 ~32m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (May 29.37-38p2)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13K01Z 2013 KZ1 (arc=12 days, H=21.6 ~162m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (May 29.27p3)
- K13K01Y 2013 KY1 (Q=4.025 AU, arc=13 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (May 29.45-46p3)
- K13J36B 2013 JB36 (arc=15 days, H=20.4 ~282m) from Paus Obs. (May 29.93p3) and Doc Greiner Research Obs. Rancho Hildalgo (DGRO-RH) (May 30.13-14p4)
- K13J29G 2013 JG29 (arc=14 days, H=20.8 ~234m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (May 29.27-28p2)
- K13J29A 2013 JA29 (arc=17 days, H=18.5 ~676m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (May 29.38-39p3)
- K13J22L 2013 JL22 from Elena Remote Obs. (May 28.98-99p4)
- K13J04O 2013 JO4 (arc=26 days, H=20.4 ~282m) from Tholen team/Mauna Kea (May 7.63p3) and Spacewatch 1.8m (May 29.43p3)
- K13F11D 2013 FD11 (arc=70 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) (May 29.22-24p4)
- K08O02X 2008 OX2 (arc=4 opp, H=20.2 ~309m) from Tenagra II Obs. (May 29.25-28p3)
- a1538 361538 2007 JZ20 from the Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) (May 29.29-31p4)
- Z9592 359592 2010 VA1 from CSS (May 29.24-26p4)
- S5263 285263 1998 QE2 from Kingsgrove Obs. (May 26.56p1)
- H0013 170013 2002 UO3 from CSS (May 29.26-28p4)
- 07350 7350 1993 VA from Tenagra II Obs. (May 29.39-43p3)
Observers on 30 May '13
Nine observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|703||Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) in Arizona, 3 in MPEC 2013-K45 -- 361538, 359592, 170013|
|G48||Doc Greiner Research Obs. Rancho Hildalgo in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2013-K45 -- 2013 JB36|
|G32||Elena Remote Obs., 1 in MPEC 2013-K45 -- 2013 JL22|
|E19||Kingsgrove Obs. in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2013-K45 -- 285263|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 2 in MPECs 2013-K45 & 2013-K46 -- 2013 JO4, 2002 KK8|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2013-K45 -- 2013 FD11|
|B49||Paus Obs. in Spain, 2 in MPEC 2013-K45 -- 2013 JR28, 2013 JB36|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 9 in MPEC 2013-K45 -- 2013 KZ1, 2013 KY1, 2013 JU22, 2013 JR28, 2013 JO4, 2013 JM14, 2013 JG29, 2013 JA29, 2013 GG69|
|926||Tenagra II Obs. in Arizona, 2 in MPEC 2013-K45 -- 2008 OX2, 7350|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 30 May '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.