Contents on 23 May '13
- Traffic Report -- four objects
- Radar Astrometry -- two objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 505 risk-listed objects, 21 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1259 UTC on 23 May.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 20 Feb.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 23 May '13
Four objects reported inside ten LD
We have four objects reported to be within a radius of ten lunar distances (LD) from Earth today. 2013 KB exits Earth's Hill sphere, flying from 3.36 to 4.12 LD, as does 2013 KT1, moving from 3.67 to 4.46 LD. Further away, 2013 KS1 is outbound from 4.92 to 5.78 LD and 2013 KA from 6.63 to 7.73 LD.
Up next, 2009 FE arrives inside ten LD on June 2nd.
This report was generated at 1302 UTC with today's DOU MPEC reporting observation of intruder 2012 DA14 from February.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Earth's Hill sphere (of gravitational influence) is estimated to extend out to around 3.89 LD. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
Radar Astrometry on 23 May '13
Radar observation of two objects
Data update noted at 1905 UTC when the database was dated 23 May
- 2013 HT15 from Goldstone DSS-14 70m antenna (May 19.99 velocity, 20.01 velocity, 20.02 range, 22.04 range & 22.08 range)
Data update noted at 2125 UTC when the database was dated 23 May
- 163364 2002 OD20 from DSS-14 (May 19.91 velocity, 19.92 velocity, 19.93 range, 22.10 velocity & 22.11 range)
NEOCP Activity on 23 May '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 1 listing
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one object listed.
New MPECs on 23 May '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K12D14A 2012 DA14 (Q=0.992 AU, arc=2 opp, H=24.0 ~54m) from West Park Obs. (Feb. 15.93p84)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- J99V22G 1999 VG22 (arc=7 opp, H=18.6 ~645m, PMD) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (May 22.26-27p3)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS
- Observations of almost-small asteroids (21.7<H<=22.0)
- K10K07X 2010 KX7 (arc=3 opp, H=21.9 ~141m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.24-25p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13K01Z 2013 KZ1 (arc=5 days, H=21.6 ~162m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.08-09p3)
- K13K01Y 2013 KY1 (Q=4.318 AU, arc=6 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.42-44p5)
- K13K01R 2013 KR1 (arc=6 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.08-09p5)
- K13J29G 2013 JG29 (arc=7 days, H=20.8 ~234m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.18-19p3)
- K13J22Q 2013 JQ22 (arc=12 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from Desert Moon Obs. (May 22.37-39p3)
- K13J02X 2013 JX2 (arc=20 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from Desert Moon Obs. (May 22.14-17p3)
- K13G66R 2013 GR66 (Q=4.008 AU, arc=43 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.01-02p2)
- K12W25B 2012 WB25 (arc=181 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.43-44p3)
- K12V82J 2012 VJ82 (arc=3 opp, H=19.7 ~389m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.36-37p3)
- K12A01E 2012 AE1 (arc=4 opp, H=19.0 ~537m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.38-39p3)
- K10X25D 2010 XD25 (arc=2 opp, H=20.7 ~245m) from LCOGT Cerro Tololo C (May 22.38-40p5)
- K10L14G 2010 LG14 (q=0.269 AU, arc=4 opp, H=17.9 ~891m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.32-34p3)
- K07X10C 2007 XC10 (i=47.9°, arc=4 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.28-30p3)
- K05J46E 2005 JE46 (arc=3 opp, H=17.7 ~977m) from Desert Moon Obs. (May 22.46p3)
- K05H03N 2005 HN3 (arc=3 opp, H=21.2 ~195m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.30-31p2)
- K04K17K 2004 KK17 (i=41.6°, arc=6 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.34-35p5)
- K04J02N 2004 JN2 (arc=4 opp, H=20.3 ~295m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.20-22p3)
- K03O04B 2003 OB4 (Q=4.518 AU, arc=3 opp, H=19.3 ~467m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.36-38p3)
- K02TJ0R 2002 TR190 (arc=2 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 21.95-97p3)
- K00O08G 2000 OG8 (Q=4.115 AU, arc=4 opp, H=17.7 ~977m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.31-33p3)
- J95L00G 1995 LG (i=43.6°, q=0.223 AU, arc=4 opp, H=18.7 ~616m) from Holmes/CTIO (May 21.97p2)
- Z4332 354332 2003 AD1 from Tenagra II Obs. (May 22.26-30p3)
- R8327 278327 2007 HA59 from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.39-40p3)
- K3015 203015 1999 YF3 from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.13-14p4)
- G3679 163679 2002 XG84 from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.16-17p3)
- G2998 162998 2001 SK162 from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.14-15p3)
- D7802 137802 1999 YT from Holmes/CTIO (May 22.42-43p3)
- 07888 7888 1993 UC from Desert Moon Obs. (May 22.18-20p5) and San Vito Obs. (May 22.83-85p5)
Observers on 23 May '13
Seven observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 24 in MPEC 2013-K35 -- 2013 KZ1, 2013 KY1, 2013 KR1, 2013 JG29, 2013 GR66, 2012 WB25, 2012 VJ82, 2012 AE1, 2010 LG14, 2010 KX7, 2007 XC10, 2005 HN3, 2004 KK17, 2004 JN2, 2003 OB4, 2002 TR190, 2000 OG8, 1999 VG22, 1995 LG, 278327, 203015, 163679, 162998, 137802|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 4 in MPEC 2013-K35 -- 2013 JX2, 2013 JQ22, 2005 JE46, 7888|
|253||Goldstone DSS-14 70m antenna in southern California, 2 in radar -- 2013 HT15, 163364|
|W87||LCOGT Cerro Tololo C in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2013-K35 -- 2010 XD25|
|233||San Vito Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-K35 -- 7888|
|926||Tenagra II Obs. in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2013-K35 -- 354332|
|Z92||West Park Obs., 1 in MPEC 2013-K35 -- 2012 DA14|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 23 May '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.