Contents on 31 March '13
- Traffic Report -- two objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- ten observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 501 risk-listed objects, 266 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1551 UTC on 31 March.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 20 Feb.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 31 March '13
Two objects reported inside ten LD
Two objects are reported to be within ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today. Radar target 2013 FB8 is outbound from 4.26 to 4.83 LD and risk-listed 2013 EL89 from 5.06 to 6.16 LD.
Next known to be coming around is risk-listed 2010 GM23, which arrives inside ten LD on April 10th.
This report was generated at 1551 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for 2013 FB8 and departed 2013 FD8 (adding 5.838 days to a 4.722-day observing arc), and observation of distant 68216 2001 CV26.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 31 March '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 3 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had three objects listed. Of these, two were "one nighters."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 31 March '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K13EA8V 2013 EV108 (arc=22 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (March 30.21-22p2), Great Shefford Obs. (March 30.92-93p3), and Wishing Star Obs. (March 31.10-11p3)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K13F08D 2013 FD8 (arc=11 days, H=25.6 ~26m) from LCOGT Cerro Tololo A (March 30.07p3)
- K13F08B 2013 FB8 (arc=12 days, H=24.9 ~35m, radar support) from Great Shefford Obs. (March 31.16-17p3)
- 68216 68216 2001 CV26 from ARO Westfield (March 30.23-24p5)
- Observations of small (H>22.0) & smallish (21.7<H<=22.0) asteroids
- K13F13T 2013 FT13 (arc=8 days, H=24.5 ~43m) from Great Shefford Obs. (March 30.96-98p3)
- K13F10Q 2013 FQ10 (arc=10 days, H=22.7 ~98m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.27-28p3)
- K13E04Q 2013 EQ4 (arc=27 days, H=23.2 ~78m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.21-23p3)
- K13D00Z 2013 DZ (arc=42 days, H=22.9 ~89m) from the Spacewatch 0.9m telescope (March 31.22-23p3)
- K13E00A 2013 EA (arc=29 days, H=21.9 ~141m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.30-31p3)
- K01T02A 2001 TA2 (arc=2 opp, H=22.0 ~135m) from Great Shefford Obs. (March 30.99p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13F13X 2013 FX13 (q=0.363 AU, arc=7 days, H=21.1 ~204m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.32-33p3) and Great Shefford Obs. (March 30.94-95p3)
- K13F08A 2013 FA8 (arc=12 days, H=21.0 ~214m) from LCOGT Cerro Tololo A (March 30.20-22p5)
- K13EC6O 2013 EO126 (Q=4.074 AU, arc=15 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Wiggins Obs. (March 30.25-26p3) and ARO Westfield (March 30.29-30p3)
- K13EA8W 2013 EW108 (arc=15 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.14-16p3)
- K13E89S 2013 ES89 (Q=4.175 AU, arc=17 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.25-26p4)
- K13E89R 2013 ER89 (arc=17 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.24p3)
- K13E89H 2013 EH89 (arc=19 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from Spacewatch 0.9m (March 31.18-19p3)
- K13E27W 2013 EW27 (arc=24 days, H=18.0 ~851m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.04-06p3)
- K13E09T 2013 ET9 (arc=2 opp, H=21.1 ~204m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.14-16p3) and Wishing Star Obs. (March 31.08-09p3)
- K13D09R 2013 DR9 (Q=5.386 AU, arc=41 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from Sandlot Obs. (March 31.18-19p2)
- K12X06Y 2012 XY6 (arc=117 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.06-07p3)
- K12TL9A 2012 TA219 (Q=4.123 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.08-09p3)
- K10C01R 2010 CR1 (q=0.366 AU, arc=3 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from Spacewatch 0.9m (March 31.14-15p3)
- K09U03M 2009 UM3 (Q=4.353 AU, arc=4 opp, H=17.9 ~891m) from ARO Westfield (March 30.17-19p5)
- Z0988 350988 2003 GW from ARO Westfield (March 30.35-36p5)
- R6732 276732 2004 EV9 from ARO Westfield (March 30.29-31p5)
- O9886 249886 2001 RY11 from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (March 30.29-30p2)
- F2952 152952 2000 GC2 from ARO Westfield (March 30.17-18p3)
- D7199 137199 1999 KX4 from El Maestrat Obs. (March 31.13-17p7)
- 54686 54686 2001 DU8 from ARO Westfield (March 30.34-35p3)
- 11284 11284 Belenus (1990 BA) from ARO Westfield (March 30.27-28p4)
- 07888 7888 1993 UC from Danastro Obs. (March 21.82-83p7)
- 05693 5693 1993 EA from ARO Westfield (March 30.19-21p5)
- 05645 5645 1990 SP from PS1 (March 29.44-45p2), ARO Westfield (March 30.31-32p5), and El Maestrat Obs. (March 30.94-97p10)
- 04179 4179 Toutatis (1989 AC) from ARO Westfield (March 30.05p3)
- 03122 3122 Florence (1981 ET3) from Wishing Star Obs. (March 31.02-03p3)
- 01866 1866 Sisyphus (1972 XA) from ARO Westfield (March 30.34-35p2)
- 01864 1864 Daedalus (1971 FA) from ARO Westfield (March 30.19-20p3)
Observers on 31 March '13
Ten observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 25 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 2013 FX13, 2013 FQ10, 2013 EW27, 2013 EW108, 2013 EV108, 2013 ET9, 2013 ES89, 2013 ER89, 2013 EQ4, 2013 EO126, 2013 EA, 2012 XY6, 2012 TA219, 2009 UM3, 68216, 54686, 350988, 276732, 152952, 11284, 5693, 5645, 4179, 1866, 1864|
|K20||Danastro Obs., 1 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 7888|
|J19||El Maestrat Obs. in Spain, 2 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 137199, 5645|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 5 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 2013 FX13, 2013 FT13, 2013 FB8, 2013 EV108, 2001 TA2|
|W85||LCOGT Cerro Tololo A in Chile, 2 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 2013 FD8, 2013 FA8|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 249886, 5645|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 1 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 2013 DR9|
|691||Spacewatch 0.9m telescope in Arizona, 3 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 2013 EH89, 2013 DZ, 2010 CR1|
|718||Wiggins Obs. in Utah, 1 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 2013 EO126|
|I15||Wishing Star Obs. in Rhode Island, 3 in MPEC 2013-F60 -- 2013 EV108, 2013 ET9, 3122|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 31 March '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.