Contents on 28 March '13
- Traffic Report -- four objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- five observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 500 risk-listed objects, 265 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1407 UTC on 28 March.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 20 Feb.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 28 March '13
Four objects reported inside ten LD
Four asteroids are reported to be within ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today. Risk-listed 2013 EL89 is inbound from 6.03 to 4.97 LD and radar target 2013 FB8 from 6.30 to 5.13 LD, while 2013 FD8 is outbound from 8.49 to 8.94 LD and 2013 FG exits ten LD, traveling from 8.48 to 10.37 LD.
Next known to be coming to the neighborhood is risk-listed 2010 GM23, which is presently best calculated to arrive inside ten LD on April 10th.
This report was generated at 1415 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for 2013 FB8 and observation of distant 2003 FY6.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 28 March '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 3 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had three objects listed. Of these, two were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of four listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 28 March '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K13EA8V 2013 EV108 (arc=19 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) (March 28.11-12p8)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K13F08B 2013 FB8 (arc=8 days, H=25.1 ~32m, radar support) from PJMSO (March 27.24-25p15 & 27.32p10) and Wiggins Obs. (March 27.28-29p4)
- K03F06Y 2003 FY6 (q=0.305 AU, arc=2 opp, H=22.4 ~112m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (March 27.58p2)
- Observations of small (H>22.0) & smallish (21.7<H<=22.0) asteroids
- K13F08C 2013 FC8 (arc=9 days, H=22.6 ~102m) from PJMSO (March 28.13-14p8)
- K13E00A 2013 EA (arc=26 days, H=21.9 ~141m) from PJMSO (March 27.31-32p6)
- K01T02A 2001 TA2 (arc=2 opp, H=22.0 ~135m) from PJMSO (March 27.25-26p10)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13F13Y 2013 FY13 (arc=3 days, H=20.5 ~269m) from SSS (March 27.41p2 & 27.56-57p2) and LCOGT Sutherland C (March 27.93-95p4)
- K13F11D 2013 FD11 (arc=8 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from LCOGT Sutherland C (March 27.91-92p5)
- K12T53F 2012 TF53 (arc=171 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from LCOGT Sutherland C (March 28.09-10p4)
- K09U03M 2009 UM3 (Q=4.353 AU, arc=4 opp, H=17.9 ~891m) from PJMSO (March 28.12-13p6)
- K08S85E 2008 SE85 (arc=3 opp, H=19.6 ~407m) from PJMSO (March 28.07-08p9)
- 03752 3752 Camillo (1985 PA) from Naef Obs. (March 27.83-84p2)
Observers on 28 March '13
Five observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|K93||LCOGT Sutherland C in South Africa, 3 in MPEC 2013-F56 -- 2013 FY13, 2013 FD11, 2012 TF53|
|A13||Naef Obs. in Switzerland, 1 in MPEC 2013-F56 -- 3752|
|H45||Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) in Arkansas, 7 in MPEC 2013-F56 -- 2013 FC8, 2013 FB8, 2013 EV108, 2013 EA, 2009 UM3, 2008 SE85, 2001 TA2|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey (SSS) in New South Wales, 2 in MPEC 2013-F56 -- 2013 FY13, 2003 FY6|
|718||Wiggins Obs. in Utah, 1 in MPEC 2013-F56 -- 2013 FB8|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 28 March '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.