Contents on 1 March '13
- Traffic Report -- no objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- six observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 477 risk-listed objects, 18 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1435 UTC on 1 March.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 20 Feb.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 1 March '13
No objects reported inside ten LD
We have no known visitors flying within ten lunar distances (LD) of our home world today. Next known is 2007 EO88, a risk-listed radar target that arrives inside ten LD on March 15th.
This report was generated at 1436 UTC with observation of distant 68216 2001 CV26 reported in today's DOU MPEC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 1 March '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 4 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had four objects listed. Of these, two were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of five listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 1 March '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- 99942 99942 Apophis (2004 MN4) (PMD, radar support) from Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) (March 1.13-14p6)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- 68216 68216 2001 CV26 from New Millennium Obs. (Feb. 14.18p2) and Galati Obs. (Feb. 27.83-84p10)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- D6635 136635 1994 VA1 (PMD) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Feb. 28.26-28p2)
- 03752 3752 Camillo (1985 PA) (radar) from New Millennium Obs. (Feb. 14.09p2 & 14.13p2)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13C89K 2013 CK89 (arc=17 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Feb. 28.28-34p4)
- K13C36T 2013 CT36 (Q=4.476 AU, arc=21 days, H=19.2 ~490m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Feb. 28.37-40p4)
- K13A76U 2013 AU76 (Q=4.768 AU, arc=57 days, H=18.2 ~776m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Feb. 28.14-16p5), Galati Obs. (Feb. 28.88-89p18), Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. (Feb. 28.88p3), and PJMSO (March 1.13p6)
- K13A60M 2013 AM60 (Q=5.086 AU, arc=52 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Feb. 28.09-12p4)
- K12Q17P 2012 QP17 (Q=4.682 AU, arc=198 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from PS1 (Feb. 28.29-31p2)
- K09S15C 2009 SC15 from Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. (Feb. 28.87p3)
- K09B02L 2009 BL2 (arc=2 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. (Feb. 28.90p3)
- K09A00V 2009 AV (i=45.9°, arc=2 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from PJMSO (March 1.08-09p8)
- K05E30M 2005 EM30 (i=53.1°, arc=4 opp, H=18.9 ~562m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Feb. 28.47-51p4)
- Z6394 356394 2010 QD2 from Galati Obs. (Feb. 28.83-84p18)
- Z4127 354127 2002 BP26 from Galati Obs. (Feb. 28.92-93p16)
- Y3098 343098 2009 DV42 from PS1 (Feb. 28.39p2)
- M9007 229007 2003 XF11 from Desert Moon Obs. (Feb. 28.18-25p5)
- K6910 206910 2004 NL8 from Galati Obs. (Feb. 28.75-76p17) and PJMSO (March 1.09p6)
- 11066 11066 Sigurd (1992 CC1) from Galati Obs. (Feb. 28.72-73p18)
- 10115 10115 1992 SK from New Millennium Obs. (Feb. 14.18p2)
- 08176 8176 1991 WA from Desert Moon Obs. (Feb. 28.52-53p2)
- 05828 5828 1991 AM from New Millennium Obs. (Feb. 14.01-03p4)
- 04179 4179 Toutatis (1989 AC) from Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. (Feb. 28.91-92p3)
- 03122 3122 Florence (1981 ET3) from Galati Obs. (Feb. 28.70-71p17)
- 01036 1036 Ganymed (1924 TD) from Galati Obs. (Feb. 28.84-86p18)
Observers on 1 March '13
Six observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 7 in MPEC 2013-E01 -- 2013 CT36, 2013 CK89, 2013 AU76, 2013 AM60, 2005 EM30, 229007, 8176|
|C73||Galati Obs. in Romania, 8 in MPEC 2013-E01 -- 2013 AU76, 68216, 356394, 354127, 206910, 11066, 3122, 1036|
|560||Madonna di Dossobuono Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2013-E01 -- 2013 AU76, 2009 SC15, 2009 BL2, 4179|
|A24||New Millennium Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2013-E01 -- 68216, 10115, 5828, 3752|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 3 in MPEC 2013-E01 -- 2012 QP17, 343098, 136635|
|H45||Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) in Arkansas, 4 in MPEC 2013-E01 -- 2013 AU76, 2009 AV, 99942, 206910|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 1 March '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today, except that observation of one risk-listed object has been reported (see today's DOU MPEC above). Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.