Contents on 27 February '13
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- six observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 477 risk-listed objects, 18 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1418 UTC on 27 Feb.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 20 Feb.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 27 February '13
One object reported inside ten LD
There is one object reported passing within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. 2013 DS9 is outbound from 9.26 to 9.93 LD. Next known to come this close is risk-listed 2007 EO88, which arrives inside ten LD on March 15th.
This report was generated at 1420 UTC with observation of distant 68216 2001 CV26 reported in today's DOU MPEC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 27 February '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 1 listing
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one object listed. This was a "one nighter."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 27 February '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- 99942 99942 Apophis (2004 MN4) (PMD, radar support) from Kourovskaya Obs. (Feb. 16.85p2, 17.78p2 & 20.64-72p6) and San Vito Obs. (Feb. 26.81-84p5)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- 68216 68216 2001 CV26 from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Feb. 25.38-39p6 & 25.44-46p6)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- 03752 3752 Camillo (1985 PA) (radar) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.34-36p6)
-- Potential mission destinations (PMD) list & ephemerides + NHATS -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K13C35R 2013 CR35 (arc=19 days, H=22.4 ~112m) from McDonald Obs. (Feb. 26.32-33p3)
- K13A72Q 2013 AQ72 (arc=44 days, H=22.2 ~123m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (Feb. 26.02p2)
- K03B04N 2003 BN4 (arc=2 opp, H=24.0 ~54m) from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.09p2)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13D01M 2013 DM1 (i=52.8°, arc=10 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.12-13p3)
- K13C35Q 2013 CQ35 (arc=20 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.28-30p3)
- K13A76U 2013 AU76 (Q=4.768 AU, arc=53 days, H=18.2 ~776m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.13-14p5)
- K12XB2E 2012 XE112 (arc=78 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.12-13p5)
- K12XB2C 2012 XC112 (arc=78 days, H=19.3 ~467m) from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.14-16p5)
- K12V93V 2012 VV93 (arc=105 days, H=17.4 ~1.12 km) from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.21-22p5)
- K12Q17P 2012 QP17 (Q=4.682 AU, arc=196 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.01-02p5)
- K11K15W 2011 KW15 (arc=3 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.07-09p5)
- K10G25E 2010 GE25 (arc=2 opp, H=20.0 ~339m) from McDonald Obs. (Feb. 26.27-28p3)
- K10B00B 2010 BB (arc=2 opp, H=20.4 ~282m) from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.04-06p3)
- K09S98N 2009 SN98 (arc=3 opp, H=19.0 ~537m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.40-41p3)
- K09A00V 2009 AV (i=45.9°, arc=2 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.01-02p5)
- K07N04S 2007 NS4 (arc=4 opp, H=19.1 ~513m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Feb. 26.09-12p3)
- K05E30M 2005 EM30 (i=53.1°, arc=4 opp, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.43-44p3)
- K00W10J 2000 WJ10 (arc=4 opp, H=20.3 ~295m) from McDonald Obs. (Feb. 26.46-47p3)
- Z0713 350713 2001 XP88 from McDonald Obs. (Feb. 26.25-26p3)
- Z0523 350523 2000 EA14 from McDonald Obs. (Feb. 26.42-43p3)
- X9714 339714 2005 ST1 from McDonald Obs. (Feb. 26.48-49p3)
- U9662 309662 2008 EE from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.36-37p3)
- R6786 276786 2004 KD1 from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.39-40p5)
- J8752 198752 2005 EA60 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.26-27p3)
- G2421 162421 2000 ET70 from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 26.39-40p5)
- F3267 153267 2001 CB32 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.38-39p3)
- 85990 85990 1999 JV6 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.22-23p3)
- 53789 53789 2000 ED104 from Holmes/CTIO (Feb. 21.38-40p5 & 26.39-40p5)
- 40267 40267 1999 GJ4 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.41-42p3)
- 24761 24761 Ahau (1993 BW2) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.15-17p4)
- 11405 11405 1999 CV3 from San Vito Obs. (Feb. 26.77-80p5)
- 07480 7480 Norwan (1994 PC) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.36-37p3)
- 05828 5828 1991 AM from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.14-16p6)
- 04179 4179 Toutatis (1989 AC) from San Vito Obs. (Feb. 26.85-86p3)
Observers on 27 February '13
Six observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 13 in MPEC 2013-D55 -- 2013 CQ35, 2013 AU76, 2009 SN98, 2005 EM30, 85990, 68216, 40267, 24761, 198752, 153267, 7480, 5828, 3752|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 14 in MPEC 2013-D55 -- 2013 DM1, 2013 AQ72, 2012 XE112, 2012 XC112, 2012 VV93, 2012 QP17, 2011 KW15, 2010 BB, 2009 AV, 2003 BN4, 53789, 309662, 276786, 162421|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2013-D55 -- 2007 NS4|
|168||Kourovskaya Obs. in Russia, 1 in MPEC 2013-D55 -- 99942|
|711||McDonald Obs. in Texas, 6 in MPEC 2013-D55 -- 2013 CR35, 2010 GE25, 2000 WJ10, 350713, 350523, 339714|
|233||San Vito Obs. in Italy, 3 in MPEC 2013-D55 -- 99942, 11405, 4179|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 27 February '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today, except that observation of one risk-listed object has been reported (see today's DOU MPEC above). Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.