Contents on 26 February '13
- Traffic Report -- one object
- Radar Astrometry -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 477 risk-listed objects, 18 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1433 UTC on 26 Feb.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 20 Feb.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 26 February '13
One object reported inside ten LD
One object is reported to be within a radius of ten lunar distances (LD) from Earth today. 2013 DS9 is headed out from 8.83 to 9.26 LD. Coming our way next, risk-listed 2007 EO88 arrives inside ten LD on March 15th.
This report was generated at 1435 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for departed intruder 2012 DA14.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
Radar Astrometry on 26 February '13
Radar observation of one object
Data update noted at 2359 UTC when the database was dated 26 Feb.
- 2008 DG17 from Arecibo (Feb. 18.09 range)
NEOCP Activity on 26 February '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 1 listing
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one object listed. This was a "one nighter."
New MPECs on 26 February '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- 99942 99942 Apophis (2004 MN4) (PMD, radar support) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Feb. 25.13-14p3)
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K12D14A 2012 DA14 (small asteroid, Q=0.992 AU, arc=2 opp, H=24.0 ~54m, close passer, radar support) from Alexander V. Devyatkin via Pulkovo Obs. (Feb. 16.68-70p45)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13C89L 2013 CL89 (arc=14 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.21-22p4)
- K13C36T 2013 CT36 (Q=4.466 AU, arc=17 days, H=19.2 ~490m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.33-34p4)
- K13C35W 2013 CW35 (arc=20 days, H=20.9 ~224m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.32-33p4)
- K13C35Q 2013 CQ35 (arc=19 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.31-32p3)
- K13B45Y 2013 BY45 (arc=2 opp, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.32-33p3)
- K12W32G 2012 WG32 (arc=2 opp, H=17.7 ~977m) from NEAT's Mt. Palomar telescope (2002 Nov. 17.50-55p6)
- K12Q17P 2012 QP17 (Q=4.682 AU, arc=195 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.20-21p3)
- K10Q02D 2010 QD2 (arc=4 opp, H=17.4 ~1.12 km) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.17-19p5)
- K09U03M 2009 UM3 (Q=4.353 AU, arc=4 opp, H=17.8 ~933m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.29-31p4)
- K06W01S 2006 WS1 (arc=2 opp, H=19.7 ~389m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.16-17p5)
- K05T00G 2005 TG (Q=4.112 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (2009 July 2.50-51p3 & 2009 July 4.48-49p3)
- K03C17N 2003 CN17 (arc=3 opp, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.22-24p6)
- K03B21B 2003 BB21 (arc=2 opp, H=20.9 ~224m) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.43-44p3 & 25.40-42p5) and Kevin Hills via RAS Obs. Moorook (Feb. 25.67-68p3)
- Y5853 345853 2007 PU11 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.23-24p4)
- U7161 307161 2002 DY3 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.44-45p5)
- R6732 276732 2004 EV9 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.42-43p4)
- L4869 214869 2007 PA8 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.30-31p4)
- F2561 152561 1991 RB from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.45-46p4)
- D6993 136993 1998 ST49 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.33-35p4)
- A8519 108519 2001 LF from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.18-19p5)
- 96315 96315 1997 AP10 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.27-29p7)
- 54686 54686 2001 DU8 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.41-43p3 & 25.38-39p5)
- 53550 53550 2000 BF19 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.25-27p6)
- 22771 22771 1999 CU3 from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.36-37p3 & 25.32-33p5)
- 11405 11405 1999 CV3 from New Millennium Obs. (Feb. 13.83-88p3)
- 11284 11284 Belenus (1990 BA) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.34-36p7)
- 07480 7480 Norwan (1994 PC) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.38-39p4)
- 04179 4179 Toutatis (1989 AC) from New Millennium Obs. (Feb. 13.84-88p3)
- 02368 2368 Beltrovata (1977 RA) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.30-32p4)
- 01917 1917 Cuyo (1968 AA) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 24.40-41p4 & 25.36-37p5)
- 01864 1864 Daedalus (1971 FA) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.20-21p3)
- 01627 1627 Ivar (1929 SH) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.45-46p5)
- 01036 1036 Ganymed (1924 TD) from ARO Westfield (Feb. 25.13-15p6)
Observers on 26 February '13
Seven observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|251||Arecibo in Puerto Rico, 1 in radar -- 2008 DG17|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 30 in MPEC 2013-D54 -- 2013 CW35, 2013 CT36, 2013 CQ35, 2013 CL89, 2013 BY45, 2012 QP17, 2010 QD2, 2009 UM3, 2006 WS1, 2003 CN17, 2003 BB21, 99942, 96315, 54686, 53550, 345853, 307161, 276732, 22771, 214869, 152561, 136993, 11284, 108519, 7480, 2368, 1917, 1864, 1627, 1036|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-D54 -- 2005 TG|
|644||NEAT's Mt. Palomar telescope in southern California, 1 in MPEC 2013-D54 -- 2012 WG32|
|A24||New Millennium Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2013-D54 -- 11405, 4179|
|0841||Alexander V. Devyatkin via Pulkovo Obs. in Russia, 1 in MPEC 2013-D54 -- 2012 DA14|
|D90`||Kevin Hills in England via RAS Obs. Moorook in South Australia, 1 in MPEC 2013-D54 -- 2003 BB21|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 26 February '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today, except that observation of one risk-listed object has been reported (see today's DOU MPEC above). Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.