Contents on 30 January '13
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- eleven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 476 risk-listed objects, 29 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1730 UTC on 30 Jan.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 10 Jan.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 30 January '13
One object reported inside ten LD
One asteroid is reported traveling inside ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today. Radar target 2013 BS45 comes inside ten LD, passing from 10.27 to 9.65 LD.
Up next, 2013 BV15 and intruder 2012 DA14 (risk-listed radar target) both arrive inside ten LD on February 8th.
This report was generated at 1731 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 30 January '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 6 listings
When last checked at 2115 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had six objects listed. Of these, one was a "one nighter."
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 30 January '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2115 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- 99942 99942 Apophis (2004 MN4) (PMD, radar support) from Oleksandr V. Shulga via Nikolaev Obs. (Jan. 24.78-84p26), Belesta Obs. (Jan. 28.92-93p11), and Bigmuskie Obs. (Jan. 29.85-87p3)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- D7805 137805 1999 YK5 (radar) from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Jan. 24.99-01p10)
- 52762 52762 1998 MT24 (radar) from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Jan. 24.98-99p10)
- 03752 3752 Camillo (1985 PA) (radar) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (Jan. 29.36-37p5)
-- Potential mission destinations (PMD) list & ephemerides + NHATS -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K13B70D 2013 BD70 (Q=4.056 AU, arc=10 days, H=22.3 ~117m) from Carl Hergenrother via Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope (VATT) (Jan. 15.51p3)
- K13B45T 2013 BT45 (arc=8 days, H=23.2 ~78m) from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 29.10p3)
- K13A72Q 2013 AQ72 (arc=16 days, H=22.3 ~117m) from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 29.03-04p3)
- K12Y07L 2012 YL7 (arc=83 days, H=22.6 ~102m) from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 29.05-06p4)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13B19E 2013 BE19 (arc=11 days, H=19.6 ~407m) from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Jan. 24.96-97p6), program code 4 via iTelescope Obs. Siding Spring (Jan. 29.60-61p8), Montcabre Obs. (Jan. 29.82-85p3), and Tesla Obs. (Jan. 29.88-92p6)
- K13A76T 2013 AT76 (i=36.6°, Q=4.916 AU, arc=15 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Jan. 24.92-94p8)
- K13A27U 2013 AU27 from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Jan. 24.84-86p10)
- K12XB2F 2012 XF112 (Q=5.241 AU, arc=41 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Dec. 29.92-94p6)
- K12XB2E 2012 XE112 (arc=49 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Dec. 29.97p3)
- K12XB2C 2012 XC112 (arc=50 days, H=19.3 ~467m) from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 29.03-04p4)
- K12TE6J 2012 TJ146 (Q=4.420 AU, arc=108 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Jan. 27.38-39p3)
- K12L09K 2012 LK9 (Q=4.068 AU, arc=2 opp, H=17.9 ~891m) from Hergenrother (Jan. 21.11-12p3)
- K10Q02D 2010 QD2 (arc=4 opp, H=17.4 ~1.12 km) from Tesla Obs. (Jan. 29.81-84p4)
- K06V03A 2006 VA3 (i=53.3°, arc=4 opp, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 29.36-38p4)
- K04T18B 2004 TB18 (arc=4 opp, H=17.7 ~977m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (2010 Feb. 20.61p1)
- K00W63L 2000 WL63 (arc=3 opp, H=20.0 ~339m) from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Dec. 29.84-86p7)
- J99R45M 1999 RM45 (arc=5 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from Tholen team/Mauna Kea (2010 Feb. 20.39p1)
- Y9068 349068 2006 YT13 from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Jan. 24.88-90p10) and ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.21-22p6)
- Y3098 343098 2009 DV42 from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Dec. 29.94-95p10 & Jan. 24.74-75p9) and ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.18-19p5)
- X8049 338049 2002 NY31 from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.29-31p3)
- Q2623 262623 2006 WY2 from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.10-12p4)
- M9672 229672 2006 WR1 from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Jan. 24.71-73p9)
- K3471 203471 2002 AU4 from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Dec. 29.90-91p10) and ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.07-09p4)
- I9173 189173 2002 XY4 from Shulga/Nikolaev Obs. (Dec. 29.88-90p9)
- G2421 162421 2000 ET70 from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 29.36-38p5)
- F4347 154347 2002 XK4 from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.23-25p6)
- D7199 137199 1999 KX4 from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.35-38p7)
- 04179 4179 Toutatis (1989 AC) from Amanecer de Arrakis Obs. (Jan. 29.82p2)
- 02212 2212 Hephaistos (1978 SB) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.05-07p4)
- 01864 1864 Daedalus (1971 FA) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.32-34p5)
Observers on 30 January '13
Eleven observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|Z74||Amanecer de Arrakis Obs., 1 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 4179|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 10 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 2012 TJ146, 349068, 343098, 338049, 262623, 203471, 154347, 137199, 2212, 1864|
|A05||Belesta Obs. in France, 1 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 99942|
|B88||Bigmuskie Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 99942|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 7 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 2013 BT45, 2013 AQ72, 2012 YL7, 2012 XC112, 2006 VA3, 162421, 3752|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 2004 TB18, 1999 RM45|
|213||Montcabre Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 2013 BE19|
|0892||Oleksandr V. Shulga via Nikolaev Obs. in the Ukraine, 14 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 2013 BE19, 2013 AU27, 2013 AT76, 2012 XF112, 2012 XE112, 2000 WL63, 99942, 52762, 349068, 343098, 229672, 203471, 189173, 137805|
|I76||Tesla Obs. in Spain, 2 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 2013 BE19, 2010 QD2|
|2904||Carl Hergenrother via Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope (VATT) in Arizona, 2 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 2013 BD70, 2012 LK9|
|Q624||program code 4 via iTelescope Obs. Siding Spring in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2013-B95 -- 2013 BE19|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 30 January '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2115 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today, except that observation of one risk-listed object has been reported (see today's DOU MPEC above). Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.