Contents on 28 January '13
- Traffic Report -- no objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- ten observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 476 risk-listed objects, 29 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1719 UTC on 28 Jan.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 10 Jan.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 28 January '13
No objects reported inside ten LD
There are no asteroids reported within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Coming to the neighborhood next, radar target 2013 BS45 comes inside ten LD on January 30th, and 2013 BV15 and intruder 2012 DA14 (risk-listed radar target) both arrive on February 8th.
This report was generated at 1720 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for 2013 BS45, expanding its observation arc from 2.05 to 6.94 days.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 28 January '13
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 7 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had seven objects listed. Of these, one was a "one nighter." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of nine listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 28 January '13
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- 99942 99942 Apophis (2004 MN4) (PMD, radar support) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Jan. 27.20-23p8) and South Obs. (Jan. 27.84-87p5)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K13B45S 2013 BS45 (arc=7 days, H=25.7 ~25m, radar support) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 26.36-38p4 & 27.35-38p4)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K13B18P 2013 BP18 (arc=9 days, H=22.8 ~93m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (Jan. 27.03-04p5)
- K13B02U 2013 BU2 (arc=11 days, H=22.7 ~98m) from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 27.22-23p3) and Kevin Hills via RAS Obs. Moorook (Jan. 27.60-61p3)
- K12Y06N 2012 YN6 (arc=36 days, H=22.2 ~123m) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.18-20p6)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K13B45Y 2013 BY45 (arc=8 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 26.44-45p3 & 27.38-39p3) and Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 27.38p2)
- K13B19E 2013 BE19 (arc=8 days, H=19.5 ~426m) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 26.34-35p4)
- K13B18K 2013 BK18 (arc=11 days, H=19.6 ~407m) from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 27.37-38p3)
- K13B18C 2013 BC18 (Q=4.872 AU, arc=11 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from David Tholen's team via Faulkes Telescope North (Jan. 27.24-25p2)
- K13A60W 2013 AW60 (arc=17 days, H=18.7 ~616m) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 26.43-44p4)
- K13A52Y 2013 AY52 (arc=20 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 26.36-37p4)
- K13A32A 2013 AA32 (arc=20 days, H=19.2 ~490m) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 26.37-38p4)
- K13A27U 2013 AU27 (arc=20 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from Hills/RAS Moorook (Jan. 27.64-65p2)
- K12X93S 2012 XS93 (q=0.302 AU, arc=50 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.13-14p4)
- K12W03P 2012 WP3 (arc=2 opp, H=17.5 ~1.07 km) from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 27.11-12p3)
- K12P28Q 2012 PQ28 (arc=165 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from Baxter Garden Obs. (Jan. 27.83-84p3)
- K10G07R 2010 GR7 (q=0.282 AU, arc=4 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 27.03-04p3)
- K10B00B 2010 BB (arc=2 opp, H=20.4 ~282m) from Wishing Star Obs. (Jan. 28.02-03p3)
- K09B02D 2009 BD2 (arc=2 opp, H=17.7 ~977m) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Jan. 27.29-32p3)
- K08Q01D 2008 QD1 (arc=3 opp, H=19.0 ~537m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (2010 Feb. 20.42-43p3 at R=23.2-9 & 2010 Feb. 21.41-42p2 at R=23.4-6)
- K08D05K 2008 DK5 (arc=3 opp, H=21.5 ~170m) from Tholen team/Mauna Kea (2009 Sept. 8.26p1 at R=23.6)
- Y5853 345853 2007 PU11 from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.26-28p4)
- X0825 330825 2008 XE3 from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.09-12p5)
- S5263 285263 1998 QE2 from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.29-31p7)
- Q5661 265661 2005 UB from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.24-26p6)
- Q2623 262623 2006 WY2 from Baxter Garden Obs. (Jan. 27.86-87p2)
- M2165 222165 2000 AX93 from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.05-06p4)
- L4869 214869 2007 PA8 from Los Molinos Obs. (Jan. 27.30-31p3)
- L2359 212359 2006 EV52 from PS1 (Jan. 27.29-32p3)
- J8752 198752 2005 EA60 from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.32-33p3)
- G2421 162421 2000 ET70 from Holmes/CTIO (Jan. 27.36-37p3)
- B1253 111253 2001 XU10 from Wishing Star Obs. (Jan. 27.99p3)
- 96189 96189 Pygmalion (1991 NT3) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.34-36p7)
- 36284 36284 2000 DM8 from Los Molinos Obs. (Jan. 27.20-21p4)
- 11284 11284 Belenus (1990 BA) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 26.40-41p4 & 27.36-38p6)
- 05828 5828 1991 AM from ARO Westfield (Jan. 26.39-40p4)
- 03908 3908 Nyx (1980 PA) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 27.07-09p3)
- 01864 1864 Daedalus (1971 FA) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 26.41-42p4)
- 01685 1685 Toro (1948 OA) from Los Molinos Obs. (Jan. 27.28-29p5)
Observers on 28 January '13
Ten observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 20 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 2013 BY45, 2013 BS45, 2013 BE19, 2013 AY52, 2013 AW60, 2013 AA32, 2012 YN6, 2012 XS93, 99942, 96189, 345853, 330825, 285263, 265661, 222165, 198752, 11284, 5828, 3908, 1864|
|I74||Baxter Garden Obs. in England, 2 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 2012 PQ28, 262623|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 7 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 2013 BY45, 2013 BU2, 2013 BP18, 2013 BK18, 2012 WP3, 2010 GR7, 162421|
|F658||David Tholen's team in Hawaii via Faulkes Telescope North in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 2013 BC18|
|844||Los Molinos Obs. in Uruguay, 3 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 36284, 214869, 1685|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 2008 QD1, 2008 DK5|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 2009 BD2, 212359|
|D90`||Kevin Hills in England via RAS Obs. Moorook in South Australia, 2 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 2013 BU2, 2013 AU27|
|J84||South Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 99942|
|I15||Wishing Star Obs. in Rhode Island, 2 in MPEC 2013-B92 -- 2010 BB, 111253|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 28 January '13
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today, except that observation of one risk-listed object has been reported (see today's DOU MPEC above). Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.