Contents on 29 November '12
- Traffic Report -- two objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- eight observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 472 risk-listed objects, 30 have had news in the last 30 days. Updated at 1626 UTC on 29 Nov.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 14 Sept.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 29 November '12
Two objects reported inside ten LD
Two visitors are reported to be inside ten lunar distances (LD) from our planet today. 2012 WH1 comes its closest to Earth this time around, reaching 7.62 LD at 0931 UTC, and risk-listed 2012 WR10 is outbound from 8.57 to 9.25 LD. Headed our way next, 2009 BS5 arrives inside ten LD on December 7th.
This report was generated at 1627 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for 2012 WH1.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 29 November '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 6 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had six objects listed. Of these, four were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of seven listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 29 November '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K12W01H 2012 WH1 (arc=10 days, H=24.0 ~54m) from Great Shefford Obs. (Nov. 28.99-00p3)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- K03U20C 2003 UC20 (arc=4 opp, H=18.1 ~812m, PMD) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Nov. 28.36-38p6)
- D6635 136635 1994 VA1 (PMD) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (Nov. 28.23-24p3)
- 04179 4179 Toutatis (1989 AC) (radar) from Siegen Obs. (Nov. 25.73-76p4)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12W32G 2012 WG32 (arc=4 days, H=17.8 ~933m) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Nov. 28.59-61p6)
- K12W03P 2012 WP3 (arc=11 days, H=17.5 ~1.07 km) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.28-29p3)
- K12V82M 2012 VM82 (arc=14 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.02-04p3)
- K12UD6S 2012 US136 (i=51.8°, q=0.380 AU, Q=8.229 AU, arc=39 days, H=15.9 ~2.24 km) from Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) (Nov. 29.03-04p8)
- K12TL9A 2012 TA219 (Q=4.123 AU, arc=51 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.23-24p3)
- K12TC3K 2012 TK123 (arc=50 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.01-03p3)
- K12T53F 2012 TF53 (arc=51 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from Holmes/CTIO (Nov. 28.05-07p3)
- K12Q49F 2012 QF49 (arc=2 opp, H=17.4 ~1.12 km) from PJMSO (Nov. 29.04-08p8)
- K12K42U 2012 KU42 (arc=2 opp, H=17.7 ~977m) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.30-31p2)
- K12H01J 2012 HJ1 (arc=2 opp, H=17.9 ~891m) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.26-28p7)
- K10TE9S 2010 TS149 (arc=3 opp, H=19.9 ~355m) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.39-40p3)
- K01Y02M 2001 YM2 (arc=2 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.25-27p6)
- Y1816 341816 2007 YK from Holmes/CTIO (Nov. 28.21-22p5)
- X8049 338049 2002 NY31 from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.43-44p3)
- X0825 330825 2008 XE3 from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.27-28p4)
- R7127 277127 2005 GW119 from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.28-29p3)
- R6397 276397 2002 XA40 from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.05-06p6)
- Q2623 262623 2006 WY2 from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.33-35p3)
- N2368 232368 2003 AZ2 from PS1 (Nov. 28.45-46p2)
- M9672 229672 2006 WR1 from Holmes/CTIO (Nov. 28.26p4)
- J2563 192563 1998 WZ6 from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.34-36p5)
- F3958 153958 2002 AM31 from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.38-40p4)
- E1498 141498 2002 EZ16 from Holmes/CTIO (Nov. 28.34-36p5)
- D8937 138937 2001 BK16 from Holmes/CTIO (Nov. 28.33-34p5)
- D7925 137925 2000 BJ19 from Holmes/CTIO (Nov. 28.34-35p5)
- D7052 137052 Tjelvar (1998 VO33) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.29-30p4)
- D6993 136993 1998 ST49 from Lumezzane Obs. (Oct. 20.79p4) and Lohrmann Obs. (Nov. 14.71p2)
- B1253 111253 2001 XU10 from PJMSO (Nov. 28.99-01p7)
- 87024 87024 2000 JS66 from Holmes/CTIO (Nov. 28.34-35p4)
- 66008 66008 1998 QH2 from Holmes/CTIO (Nov. 28.18-20p5)
- 52762 52762 1998 MT24 from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.37-39p5)
- 11405 11405 1999 CV3 from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.38-40p4)
- 11284 11284 Belenus (1990 BA) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.41-42p3)
- 06455 6455 1992 HE from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.02-05p7)
- 06047 6047 1991 TB1 from Lohrmann Obs. (Nov. 14.73-75p5 & 14.83-85p5)
- 05836 5836 1993 MF from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.06-07p4)
- 03838 3838 Epona (1986 WA) from ARO Westfield (Nov. 28.29-32p4)
Observers on 29 November '12
Eight observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 23 in MPEC 2012-W57 -- 2012 WP3, 2012 VM82, 2012 TK123, 2012 TA219, 2012 KU42, 2012 HJ1, 2010 TS149, 2003 UC20, 2001 YM2, 52762, 338049, 330825, 277127, 276397, 262623, 192563, 153958, 137052, 11405, 11284, 6455, 5836, 3838|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 9 in MPEC 2012-W57 -- 2012 TF53, 87024, 66008, 341816, 229672, 141498, 138937, 137925, 136635|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 1 in MPEC 2012-W57 -- 2012 WH1|
|C01||Lohrmann Obs. in Germany, 2 in MPEC 2012-W57 -- 136993, 6047|
|130||Lumezzane Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2012-W57 -- 136993|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2012-W57 -- 2012 WG32, 232368|
|H45||Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) in Arkansas, 3 in MPEC 2012-W57 -- 2012 US136, 2012 QF49, 111253|
|510||Siegen Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2012-W57 -- 4179|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 29 November '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.