Contents on 15 October '12
- Traffic Report -- two objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- ten observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 452 risk-listed objects, 18 have had news in the last 30 days. Updated at 1358 UTC on 15 Oct.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 14 Sept.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 15 October '12
Two objects reported inside ten LD
Two objects are reported moving within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Intruder 2012 TC4 (risk-listed radar target) is outbound from 4.12 to 5.59 LD and 2012 TE79 is inbound from 8.28 to 6.88 LD.
On approach next, 2012 TD79 arrives inside ten LD tomorrow and 2010 JK1 on November 22nd.
This report was generated at 1358 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 15 October '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 26 listings
When last checked at 2307 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had 26 objects listed. Of these, twelve were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 48 listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 15 October '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2307 UTC, there have been seven MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts. No Daily Orbit Update DOU MPEC has been posted yet, so visit the MPC Status Page for possible explanation.
- MPEC 2012-T84 time-stamped "16:09 UT" - 2001 QJ142 - see below
- MPEC 2012-T85 time-stamped "22:28 UT" - 2012 TD146 - see below
- MPEC 2012-T86 time-stamped "22:32 UT" - 2012 TE146 - see below
- MPEC 2012-T87 time-stamped "22:35 UT" - 2012 TF146 - see below
- MPEC 2012-T88 time-stamped "22:44 UT" - 2012 TG146 - see below
- MPEC 2012-T89 time-stamped "22:47 UT" - 2012 TH146 - see below
- MPEC 2012-T90 time-stamped "22:50 UT" - 2012 TJ146
MPEC 2012-T90 - "22:50 UT" - 2012 TJ146
- K12TE6J 2012 TJ146 (Q=4.461 AU, H=20.4 ~282m) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Oct. 11.42-43p2), the Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) (Oct. 13.31-34p4), and the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (Oct. 13.36p3, 14.20-21p3 & 15.34p3)
MPEC 2012-T89 - "22:47 UT" - 2012 TH146
- K12TE6H 2012 TH146 (small asteroid, H=23.5 ~68m) from PS1 (Oct. 11.36-40p3 at w=21.8-22.2), Spacewatch 1.8m (Oct. 14.36-37p3), and Magdalena Ridge Obs. (MRO) (Oct. 15.25-27p4 at R=21.3-22.5)
MPEC 2012-T88 - "22:44 UT" - 2012 TG146
- K12TE6G 2012 TG146 (small asteroid, Q=4.374 AU, H=24.0 ~54m) from PS1 (Oct. 11.35-40p3), Spacewatch 1.8m (Oct. 13.46-47p3), ESA Optical Ground Station (ESA OGS) (Oct. 14.09-10p3), and MRO (Oct. 15.24-26p4)
MPEC 2012-T87 - "22:35 UT" - 2012 TF146
- K12TE6F 2012 TF146 (small asteroid, H=25.6 ~26m) from the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) (Oct. 11.25-38p11), Spacewatch 1.8m (Oct. 11.38p2), Great Shefford Obs. (Oct. 13.94-95p3 & 14.94-95p2), and MRO (Oct. 15.15-17p4)
MPEC 2012-T86 - "22:32 UT" - 2012 TE146
- K12TE6E 2012 TE146 (small asteroid, H=25.1 ~32m) from MLS (Oct. 11.25-27p4 at V=21.0-9 & 11.31-34p3 at V=21.5-22.6), ESA OGS (Oct. 13.96-98p3), and MRO (Oct. 15.23-26p4)
MPEC 2012-T85 - "22:28 UT" - 2012 TD146
- K12TE6D 2012 TD146 (H=20.2 ~309m) from PS1 (Oct. 9.48-51p3), MRO (Oct. 10.43-45p4 & 15.31-34p4), Marco Micheli via Faulkes Telescope North (Oct. 11.43p2), Great Shefford Obs. (Oct. 14.15-16p3 & 15.01-02p2), and Sandlot Obs. (Oct. 15.35-37p3)
MPEC 2012-T84 - "16:09 UT" - 2001 QJ142
Observers on 15 October '12
Ten observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|703||Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2012-T90 -- 2012 TJ146|
|J04||ESA Optical Ground Station (ESA OGS) in the Canary Islands, 2 in MPECs 2012-T86 & 2012-T88 -- 2012 TG146, 2012 TE146|
|F659||Marco Micheli in Hawaii via Faulkes Telescope North in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2012-T85 -- 2012 TD146|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 2 in MPECs 2012-T85 & 2012-T87 -- 2012 TF146, 2012 TD146|
|H01||Magdalena Ridge Obs. (MRO) in New Mexico, 5 in MPECs 2012-T85, 2012-T86, 2012-T87, 2012-T88 & 2012-T89 -- 2012 TH146, 2012 TG146, 2012 TF146, 2012 TE146, 2012 TD146|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2012-T84 -- 2001 QJ142|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) in Arizona, 2 in MPECs 2012-T86 & 2012-T87 -- 2012 TF146, 2012 TE146|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 4 in MPECs 2012-T85, 2012-T88, 2012-T89 & 2012-T90 -- 2012 TJ146, 2012 TH146, 2012 TG146, 2012 TD146|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 1 in MPEC 2012-T85 -- 2012 TD146|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 4 in MPECs 2012-T87, 2012-T88, 2012-T89 & 2012-T90 -- 2012 TJ146, 2012 TH146, 2012 TG146, 2012 TF146|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 15 October '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2307 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 15 October '12
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2307||Grabbed MPEC 2012-T85 - 2012 TD146 - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2012-T86 - 2012 TE146 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2012-T87 - 2012 TF146 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2012-T88 - 2012 TG146 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2012-T89 - 2012 TH146 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2012-T90 - 2012 TJ146 - see above
|1650||Grabbed MPEC 2012-T84 - 2001 QJ142 - see above|
|1358||Generated Traffic Report|