Contents on 5 October '12
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- thirteen observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 445 risk-listed objects, 13 have had news in the last 30 days. Updated at 1451 UTC on 5 Oct.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 14 Sept.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 5 October '12
One object reported inside ten LD
There is one object reported flying inside ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. 2012 SJ58 is outbound from 7.29 to 8.89 LD. Headed our way next, 2010 JK1 arrives inside ten LD on November 22nd.
This report was generated at 1834 UTC with today's DOU MPEC reporting the recoveries of, and first follow-up for 2012 SJ58 and departed 2012 SR56.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 5 October '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 61 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had 61 objects listed. Of these, 52 were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 66 listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 5 October '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K12S20W 2012 SW20 (Q=4.131 AU, arc=16 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Oct. 4.06p3)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K12S58J 2012 SJ58 (arc=8 days, H=26.1 ~20m) from ARO Westfield (Oct. 4.04-05p6)
- K12S56R 2012 SR56 (arc=9 days, H=24.3 ~47m) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Oct. 4.46-47p2)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- G2911 162911 2001 LL5 (PMD) from the Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) (Oct. 4.34-35p3)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K12S32H 2012 SH32 (arc=12 days, H=22.1 ~129m) from ARO Westfield (Oct. 4.02-03p4)
- K12S02Y 2012 SY2 (arc=17 days, H=22.1 ~129m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 24.18p1)
- K12R10H 2012 RH10 (arc=21 days, H=22.1 ~129m) from ARO Westfield (Oct. 4.03p4)
- K07T24Q 2007 TQ24 (q=0.365 AU, arc=2 opp, H=22.2 ~123m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (Sept. 14.53p3 at R=22.5-7 & 15.54p3 at R=22.3-6)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12S59A 2012 SA59 (arc=7 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (Oct. 4.07-08p3)
- K12S22D 2012 SD22 (arc=15 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Cordoba Obs. Bosque Alegre Station (Oct. 4.27-28p3)
- K12R16V 2012 RV16 (Q=4.608 AU, arc=20 days, H=19.6 ~407m) from ARO Westfield (Oct. 4.08-09p4), Wiggins Obs. (Oct. 4.33p3), PS1 (Oct. 4.46-48p2), Tesla Obs. (Oct. 4.84-85p2), and Teide Obs. (Oct. 5.06-07p2)
- K12Q17B 2012 QB17 (arc=41 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from New Millennium Obs. (Oct. 1.86p2) and CSS (Oct. 4.26-28p4)
- K12Q14Y 2012 QY14 (arc=44 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (Oct. 4.06p4) and CSS (Oct. 4.19-22p4)
- K12P17S 2012 PS17 (arc=53 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (Oct. 4.08-10p4)
- K12M06K 2012 MK6 (Q=4.052 AU, arc=106 days, H=19.1 ~513m) from the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) (Oct. 4.18-20p4)
- K12J11S 2012 JS11 (Q=4.745 AU, arc=143 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from New Millennium Obs. (Oct. 1.86p4) and Tesla Obs. (Oct. 4.86-87p2)
- K09SM9C 2009 SC229 (arc=2 opp, H=19.0 ~537m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (Oct. 4.99p4)
- K09A00V 2009 AV (i=45.9°, arc=2 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from Holmes/CTIO (Oct. 4.99-00p5)
- K05C06Z 2005 CZ6 (arc=2 opp, H=19.0 ~537m) from ARO Westfield (Oct. 4.07-08p4)
- K02RB8C 2002 RC118 (Q=4.622 AU, arc=4 opp, H=16.7 ~1.55 km) from CSS (Oct. 4.15-17p4)
- J99O03Q 1999 OQ3 (arc=2 opp, H=20.1 ~323m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 30.99-00p4 & Oct. 3.98-99p2)
- S3729 283729 2002 UX from Galati Obs. (2011 Dec. 2.82p3)
- L9071 219071 1997 US9 from New Millennium Obs. (Oct. 1.83p2)
- A5140 105140 2000 NL10 from New Millennium Obs. (Oct. 1.82p4)
- 04947 4947 Ninkasi (1988 TJ1) from New Millennium Obs. (Oct. 1.82-83p2)
- 04587 4587 Rees (3239 T-2) from Les Engarouines Obs. (Oct. 3.93-97p3)
- 03200 3200 Phaethon (1983 TB) from Galati Obs. (2011 Dec. 3.70-71p4)
- 02201 2201 Oljato (1947 XC) from Galati Obs. (2011 Dec. 3.72-73p6)
Observers on 5 October '12
Thirteen observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 10 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2012 SY2, 2012 SW20, 2012 SJ58, 2012 SH32, 2012 SA59, 2012 RV16, 2012 RH10, 2012 QY14, 2012 PS17, 2005 CZ6|
|703||Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) in Arizona, 4 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2012 QY14, 2012 QB17, 2002 RC118, 162911|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 3 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2009 SC229, 2009 AV, 1999 OQ3|
|821||Cordoba Obs. Bosque Alegre Station in Argentina, 1 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2012 SD22|
|C73||Galati Obs. in Romania, 3 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 283729, 3200, 2201|
|A14||Les Engarouines Obs. in France, 1 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 4587|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2007 TQ24|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2012 MK6|
|A24||New Millennium Obs. in Italy, 5 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2012 QB17, 2012 JS11, 219071, 105140, 4947|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2012 SR56, 2012 RV16|
|954||Teide Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2012 RV16|
|I76||Tesla Obs. in Spain, 2 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2012 RV16, 2012 JS11|
|718||Wiggins Obs. in Utah, 1 in MPEC 2012-T10 -- 2012 RV16|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 5 October '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.