Contents on 1 October '12
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- eight observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
Note: The A/CC news pages will update only occasionally through early October 5th UTC.
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 445 risk-listed objects, 13 have had news in the last 30 days. Updated at 2324 UTC on 1 Oct.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 14 Sept.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 1 October '12
One object reported inside ten LD
One object is reported traveling inside ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. 2012 SJ58 is calculated with some uncertainty to be inbound from 7.9 to 6.6 LD. Next up, 2010 JK1 arrives inside ten LD on November 22nd.
This report was generated at 2319 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 1 October '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 3 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had three objects listed. So far The Tracking News has counted a total of six listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 1 October '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K12S32H 2012 SH32 (arc=8 days, H=22.1 ~129m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Sept. 30.12-14p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12Q50Q 2012 QQ50 (arc=33 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.02-03p4) and Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 30.22-26p3)
- K12Q50E 2012 QE50 (arc=34 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from Starry Wanderer Obs. (Sept. 30.95-96p7)
- K12Q17B 2012 QB17 (arc=37 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.10-12p4)
- K12Q14Y 2012 QY14 (arc=40 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.09-10p3)
- K12Q10O 2012 QO10 (arc=44 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.07-08p3)
- K12P17S 2012 PS17 (arc=49 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.15-16p3)
- K12J11S 2012 JS11 (Q=4.745 AU, arc=139 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from Wiggins Obs. (Oct. 1.13p3)
- K11S25S 2011 SS25 (arc=26 days, H=18.2 ~776m) from Galati Obs. (2011 Oct. 4.02-03p6)
- K05U00C 2005 UC (arc=2 opp, H=19.8 ~371m) from Tenagra II Obs. (Sept. 30.31-35p3)
- X3358 333358 2001 WN1 from Hoyerswerda Obs. (Sept. 30.80-83p2)
- W9520 329520 2002 SV from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.16-18p7)
- W6732 326732 2003 HB6 from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.16-18p6)
- T7300 297300 1998 SC15 from Galati Obs. (2011 Oct. 3.99-01p6)
- R6397 276397 2002 XA40 from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.05-07p5 & 30.21-22p4)
- Q5962 265962 2006 CG from Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 30.10-14p3)
- L9071 219071 1997 US9 from Galati Obs. (2011 Oct. 3.83-84p6) and ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.19-20p4)
- F5334 155334 2006 DZ169 from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.13-14p4)
- 05836 5836 1993 MF from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.01-03p4)
- 05587 5587 1990 SB from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.05-06p8)
- 04487 4487 Pocahontas (1987 UA) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.11-12p8)
- 04179 4179 Toutatis (1989 AC) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.06-08p3)
- 03200 3200 Phaethon (1983 TB) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Sept. 30.54-56p3)
- 01620 1620 Geographos (1951 RA) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.03-05p5)
- 00887 887 Alinda (1918 DB) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 30.15-16p3)
Observers on 1 October '12
Eight observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 17 in MPEC 2012-T01 -- 2012 SH32, 2012 QY14, 2012 QQ50, 2012 QO10, 2012 QB17, 2012 PS17, 329520, 326732, 276397, 219071, 155334, 5836, 5587, 4487, 4179, 1620, 887|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 2 in MPEC 2012-T01 -- 2012 QQ50, 265962|
|C73||Galati Obs. in Romania, 3 in MPEC 2012-T01 -- 2011 SS25, 297300, 219071|
|C43||Hoyerswerda Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2012-T01 -- 333358|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2012-T01 -- 3200|
|C36||Starry Wanderer Obs. in Belarus, 1 in MPEC 2012-T01 -- 2012 QE50|
|926||Tenagra II Obs. in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2012-T01 -- 2005 UC|
|718||Wiggins Obs. in Utah, 1 in MPEC 2012-T01 -- 2012 JS11|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 1 October '12
At last check (NEODyS at 2359 and JPL at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.