Contents on 30 September '12
- Traffic Report -- three objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- nine observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
Note: The A/CC news pages will update only occasionally through early October 5th UTC.
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 445 risk-listed objects, 14 have had news in the last 30 days. Updated at 2359 UTC on 30 Sept.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 14 Sept.
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 30 September '12
Three objects reported inside ten LD
Three asteroids are reported to be within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. 2012 SJ58 is calculated with some uncertainty to be inbound from 9.7 to 7.9 LD while the other two exit the ten-LD "bubble," with 2012 SL50 moving from 7.77 to 10.33 LD and risk-listed 2012 SY49 from 7.44 to 10.85 LD.
Headed our way next, 2010 JK1 arrives inside ten LD on November 22nd.
This report was generated at 1350 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 30 September '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 5 listings
When last checked at 2357 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had five objects listed. Of these, three were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of seven listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 30 September '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2357 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- L4869 214869 2007 PA8 (radar) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Sept. 29.34-35p4)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K12R15P 2012 RP15 (Q=4.081 AU, arc=15 days, H=23.0 ~85m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (Sept. 29.38-39p4)
- K12R02L 2012 RL2 (arc=22 days, H=23.6 ~65m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 29.28-29p5)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12S22B 2012 SB22 (arc=11 days, H=19.3 ~467m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 29.38-40p6) and ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.42-43p4)
- K12S08K 2012 SK8 (arc=13 days, H=20.4 ~282m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.37-38p4)
- K12R15G 2012 RG15 (i=49.0°, arc=15 days, H=19.6 ~407m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 29.02-03p5)
- K12R15F 2012 RF15 (arc=16 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 29.07-08p5)
- K12Q50Q 2012 QQ50 (arc=32 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 29.11p2)
- K12Q50E 2012 QE50 (arc=32 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.34-35p6)
- K12Q49F 2012 QF49 (arc=2 opp, H=17.1 ~1.29 km) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.35-37p5)
- K12Q42F 2012 QF42 (arc=34 days, H=21.6 ~162m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.40-41p4)
- K12Q17P 2012 QP17 (Q=4.681 AU, arc=46 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.25-26p4)
- K12Q10O 2012 QO10 (arc=43 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 28.98-99p3) and Kevin Hills via RAS Obs. Moorook (Sept. 29.57-58p2)
- K12P28Q 2012 PQ28 (arc=44 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 28.98-99p5)
- K12O00O 2012 OO (arc=75 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 29.36p3)
- K12H15O 2012 HO15 (Q=4.009 AU, arc=161 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.39-40p4)
- K12H01Y 2012 HY1 (arc=166 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from Holmes/CTIO (Sept. 28.99p4)
- K09H82C 2009 HC82 (i=154.5°, Q=4.569 AU, arc=5 opp, H=16.1 ~2.04 km, q=0.487 AU) from Hidetaka Sato via RAS Obs. Mayhill (Sept. 23.47-48p3)
- X0825 330825 2008 XE3 from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.31-33p5)
- W9520 329520 2002 SV from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.25-27p6)
- R6397 276397 2002 XA40 from David Tholen's team via Faulkes Telescope North (Sept. 29.26p3)
- K6910 206910 2004 NL8 from Tholen team/Faulkes North (Aug. 23.39-40p3)
- F9635 159635 2002 CZ46 from Sandlot Obs. (Sept. 29.37-39p5) and ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.41-42p4)
- E3649 143649 2003 QQ47 from Baxter Garden Obs. (Sept. 29.92-94p4)
- E1851 141851 2002 PM6 from Baxter Garden Obs. (Sept. 29.84-88p3)
- 87684 87684 2000 SY2 from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.37-38p5)
- 06569 6569 Ondaatje (1993 MO) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Sept. 29.60-61p2)
- 05731 5731 Zeus (1988 VP4) from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.42-43p4)
- 05646 5646 1990 TR from ARO Westfield (Sept. 29.38-40p5)
- 03200 3200 Phaethon (1983 TB) from Maisoncelles Obs. (Sept. 29.96-99p3)
Observers on 30 September '12
Nine observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 14 in MPEC 2012-S87 -- 2012 SK8, 2012 SB22, 2012 QP17, 2012 QF49, 2012 QF42, 2012 QE50, 2012 HO15, 87684, 330825, 329520, 214869, 159635, 5731, 5646|
|I74||Baxter Garden Obs. in England, 2 in MPEC 2012-S87 -- 143649, 141851|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 10 in MPEC 2012-S87 -- 2012 SB22, 2012 RP15, 2012 RL2, 2012 RG15, 2012 RF15, 2012 QQ50, 2012 QO10, 2012 PQ28, 2012 OO, 2012 HY1|
|F658||David Tholen's team in Hawaii via Faulkes Telescope North in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2012-S87 -- 276397, 206910|
|C10||Maisoncelles Obs. in France, 1 in MPEC 2012-S87 -- 3200|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2012-S87 -- 6569|
|H06|||Hidetaka Sato in Japan via RAS Obs. Mayhill in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2012-S87 -- 2009 HC82|
|D90`||Kevin Hills in England via RAS Obs. Moorook in South Australia, 1 in MPEC 2012-S87 -- 2012 QO10|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 1 in MPEC 2012-S87 -- 159635|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 30 September '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2357 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.