Contents on 4 September '12
- Traffic Report -- no objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- fourteen observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 446 risk-listed objects, 15 have had news in the last 32 days. Updated at 1543 UTC on 4 Sept.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 27 July 2x
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 4 September '12
No objects reported inside ten LD
No asteroids are reported traveling inside ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today. Approaching our neighborhood next, radar target 2012 QG42 arrives inside ten LD on September 11th and 2010 JK1 on November 22nd.
This report was generated at 1547 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for 2012 QG42.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 4 September '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 1 listing
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one object listed. So far The Tracking News has counted a total of five listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 4 September '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there have been four MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2012-R05 time-stamped "06:01 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2012-R06 time-stamped "13:05 UT" - 2012 QQ50 - see below
- MPEC 2012-R07 time-stamped "13:11 UT" - 2012 QR50 - see below
- MPEC 2012-R08 time-stamped "15:31 UT" - Comet C/2012 Q1 (Kowalski)
MPEC 2012-R08 - "15:31 UT" - Comet C/2012 Q1 (Kowalski)
- CK12Q010 C/2012 Q1 (Kowalski) (i=60.4°, q=8.583 AU, TP=2015 Nov. 28.07623 TT) from the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) (Aug. 28.20-22p4, 28.27-31p4 & Sept. 3.32-39p8), Great Shefford Obs. (Aug. 30.90-92p2 & Sept. 2.00-02p2), Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Aug. 31.12-16p3, Sept. 4.08p1, 4.12p1 & 4.37p1), and program code 4 via Faulkes Telescope South (Sept. 4.53-54p3)
MPEC 2012-R07 - "13:11 UT" - 2012 QR50
- K12Q50R 2012 QR50 (H=19.3 ~467m) from MLS (Aug. 28.42-43p4, Sept. 3.40-41p3 & 3.48-49p4) and ARO Westfield (Aug. 31.31-32p2, 31.36-37p2 & Sept. 4.31-33p3)
MPEC 2012-R06 - "13:05 UT" - 2012 QQ50
- K12Q50Q 2012 QQ50 (H=19.6 ~407m) from MLS (Aug. 28.19-22p4, 28.36-37p3 & Sept. 3.28-29p4), ARO Westfield (Aug. 28.36-37p3 & 29.20-22p3), Valdicerro Obs. (Aug. 28.84-87p2 & 28.93p1), GiaGa Obs. (Aug. 28.95-98p2), and Great Shefford Obs. (Sept. 2.86-88p3 & 3.96-97p2)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K12Q42G 2012 QG42 (arc=9 days, H=20.4 ~282m, radar support) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 31.23-24p4), ISON-NM Obs. (Sept. 3.16-30p7 & 3.35-39p3), Wiggins Obs. (Sept. 3.33-34p3), the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (Sept. 3.57p3 & 3.78p3), Olmen Obs. (Sept. 3.92-95p19 & 4.01-03p10), and Tesla Obs. (Sept. 3.96p4)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- R5611 275611 1999 XX262 (PMD) from Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 3.20-21p3)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12Q50E 2012 QE50 (arc=7 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from Wiggins Obs. (Sept. 3.19-20p3), Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 3.47-48p3), and Tesla Obs. (Sept. 3.92-94p3)
- K12Q49F 2012 QF49 (arc=7 days, H=16.9 ~1.41 km) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 31.38-39p3)
- K12Q17B 2012 QB17 (arc=10 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 3.24-25p3)
- K12P28Q 2012 PQ28 (arc=19 days, H=18.2 ~776m) from SSS (Sept. 3.57p1 & 3.62p1)
- K12P20C 2012 PC20 (arc=20 days, H=21.4 ~178m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 3.27-30p3)
- K12P05G 2012 PG5 (Q=4.826 AU, arc=23 days, H=18.7 ~616m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 31.18-19p5)
- K12L11E 2012 LE11 (Q=4.476 AU, arc=78 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from Elche Obs. (Aug. 26.02-03p2)
- K05N01K 2005 NK1 (arc=2 opp, H=17.3 ~1.17 km) from SSS (Sept. 3.81p1)
- K02Y05Q 2002 YQ5 (arc=4 opp, H=19.7 ~389m) from Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 3.34-40p3)
- K00R60H 2000 RH60 (q=0.371 AU, arc=5 opp, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 31.28-29p3)
- X3284 333284 1999 PJ1 from Kiev Comet Station (Aug. 22.82-84p9)
- W6732 326732 2003 HB6 from Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 3.17-18p5)
- W2966 322966 2002 KF4 from SSS (Sept. 3.71p1)
- R6397 276397 2002 XA40 from Desert Moon Obs. (Sept. 3.14-15p5)
- L4869 214869 2007 PA8 from ARO Westfield (Aug. 31.29-30p6)
- 07888 7888 1993 UC from ARO Westfield (Aug. 31.35p3)
- 00887 887 Alinda (1918 DB) from Elche Obs. (Aug. 25.89-91p2)
- 00433 433 Eros (1898 DQ) from SSS (Sept. 3.43-47p4)
Observers on 4 September '12
Fourteen observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 9 in MPECs 2012-R05, 2012-R06, 2012-R07 & 2012-R08 -- 2012 QR50, 2012 QQ50, 2012 QG42, 2012 QF49, C/2012 Q1, 2012 PG5, 2000 RH60, 214869, 7888|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 7 in MPEC 2012-R05 -- 2012 QE50, 2012 QB17, 2012 PC20, 2002 YQ5, 326732, 276397, 275611|
|I57||Elche Obs., 2 in MPEC 2012-R05 -- 2012 LE11, 887|
|E104||program code 4 via Faulkes Telescope South in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2012-R08 -- C/2012 Q1|
|203||GiaGa Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2012-R06 -- 2012 QQ50|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 2 in MPECs 2012-R06 & 2012-R08 -- 2012 QQ50, C/2012 Q1|
|H15||ISON-NM Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2012-R05 -- 2012 QG42|
|585||Kiev Comet Station in the Ukraine, 1 in MPEC 2012-R05 -- 333284|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) in Arizona, 3 in MPECs 2012-R06, 2012-R07 & 2012-R08 -- 2012 QR50, 2012 QQ50, C/2012 Q1|
|C23||Olmen Obs. in Belgium, 1 in MPEC 2012-R05 -- 2012 QG42|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey (SSS) in New South Wales, 5 in MPEC 2012-R05 -- 2012 QG42, 2012 PQ28, 2005 NK1, 322966, 433|
|I76||Tesla Obs. in Spain, 2 in MPEC 2012-R05 -- 2012 QG42, 2012 QE50|
|C92||Valdicerro Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2012-R06 -- 2012 QQ50|
|718||Wiggins Obs. in Utah, 2 in MPEC 2012-R05 -- 2012 QG42, 2012 QE50|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 4 September '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 4 September '12
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1633||Grabbed MPEC 2012-R08 - Comet C/2012 Q1 (Kowalski) - see above|
|1547||Generated Traffic Report|
|1543||Grabbed MPEC 2012-R05 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2012-R06 - 2012 QQ50 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2012-R07 - 2012 QR50 - see above