Contents on 6 August '12
- Traffic Report -- no objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- twelve observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 438 risk-listed objects, 6 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1547 UTC on 6 Aug.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 27 July 2x
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 6 August '12
No objects reported inside ten LD
There are no objects reported flying inside ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today and none are known to be coming in until November. This report was generated at 1548 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 6 August '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 6 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had six objects listed. All of these were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of eight listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 6 August '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there have been three MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2012-P10 time-stamped "06:01 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2012-P11 time-stamped "18:36 UT" - 2012 OT5 - see below
- MPEC 2012-P12 time-stamped "18:38 UT" - 2012 OU5
MPEC 2012-P12 - "18:38 UT" - 2012 OU5
- K12O05U 2012 OU5 (H=21.7 ~155m) from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (July 29.48-49p2), Tim Lister via Faulkes Telescope South (July 31.69-70p5 & 31.75-77p3), Teide Obs. (Aug. 6.15-19p3), Sandlot Obs. (Aug. 6.20-21p4), Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Aug. 6.20-21p3), and McDonald Obs. (Aug. 6.25-26p5)
MPEC 2012-P11 - "18:36 UT" - 2012 OT5
- K12O05T 2012 OT5 (borderline-small, H=21.9 ~141m) from PS1 (July 29.47-49p2), Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (July 31.32-33p5), Sandlot Obs. (Aug. 6.17-18p3), ARO Westfield (Aug. 6.17-19p3), and Arcadia Obs. (Aug. 6.46-48p3)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- W9437 329437 2002 OA22 (PMD) from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 4.88-89p3)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12L07U 2012 LU7 from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 31.96-97p3) and Santa Mama Obs. (Aug. 4.87-89p5)
- K12H31G 2012 HG31 (arc=111 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 4.86-87p3)
- K10OA1B 2010 OB101 (arc=3 opp, H=20.7 ~245m) from PS1 (Aug. 5.42-43p2)
- K09A00V 2009 AV (i=45.9°, arc=2 opp, H=18.0 ~851m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 4.89-90p3)
- X1963 331963 2004 XK35 from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 4.87-88p2)
- X1471 331471 1984 QY1 from Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 4.85-86p3)
- W6732 326732 2003 HB6 from Airali Obs. (Aug. 3.89-93p9) and Castelmartini Obs. (Aug. 4.90p3)
- I9552 189552 2000 RL77 from PS1 (Aug. 5.32-33p2)
- G2269 162269 1999 VO6 from PS1 (Aug. 5.41-42p2)
- 96536 96536 1998 SO10 from PS1 (Aug. 5.54-55p2)
- 02201 2201 Oljato (1947 XC) from PS1 (Aug. 5.34-35p2)
- 01221 1221 Amor (1932 EA1) from PS1 (Aug. 5.36-37p2)
Observers on 6 August '12
Twelve observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|169||Airali Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2012-P10 -- 326732|
|E23||Arcadia Obs. in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2012-P11 -- 2012 OT5|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 2 in MPECs 2012-P11 & 2012-P12 -- 2012 OU5, 2012 OT5|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 6 in MPEC 2012-P10 -- 2012 HG31, 2009 AV, 331963, 331471, 329437, 326732|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2012-P11 -- 2012 OT5|
|E100||Tim Lister in southern California via Faulkes Telescope South in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2012-P12 -- 2012 OU5|
|711||McDonald Obs. in Texas, 1 in MPEC 2012-P12 -- 2012 OU5|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) in Hawaii, 8 in MPECs 2012-P10, 2012-P11 & 2012-P12 -- 2012 OU5, 2012 OT5, 2010 OB101, 96536, 189552, 162269, 2201, 1221|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 2 in MPECs 2012-P11 & 2012-P12 -- 2012 OU5, 2012 OT5|
|B38||Santa Mama Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2012-P10 -- 2012 LU7|
|204||Schiaparelli Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2012-P10 -- 2012 LU7|
|954||Teide Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2012-P12 -- 2012 OU5|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 6 August '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.