Contents on 2 August '12
- Traffic Report -- no objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- five observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 439 risk-listed objects, 53 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1536 UTC on 2 Aug.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 27 July 2x
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 2 August '12
No objects reported inside ten LD
There are no objects reported flying within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today and none are known to be coming in until November. This report was generated at 1537 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 2 August '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 7 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had seven objects listed. Of these, three were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of ten listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 2 August '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- F3958 153958 2002 AM31 (radar) from New Millennium Obs. (July 16.96p2, 17.01p2 & 19.00p2) and Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.13p3)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12O04P 2012 OP4 (arc=3 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from LINEAR (July 31.38-43p4)
- K12O01E 2012 OE1 (arc=12 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Aug. 1.33-34p4)
- K12O01D 2012 OD1 (i=42.3°, arc=13 days, H=18.5 ~676m) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.04-05p3) and ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.35-36p4)
- K12O01B 2012 OB1 (arc=14 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.37-38p3)
- K12O01A 2012 OA1 (arc=14 days, H=21.4 ~178m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.38-39p3)
- K12O00O 2012 OO (arc=16 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.06-07p3)
- K12N00P 2012 NP (arc=18 days, H=21.3 ~186m) from New Millennium Obs. (July 20.05-09p3) and Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.05-06p3)
- K12N00O 2012 NO (i=43.7°, arc=19 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.22-23p3)
- K12L11E 2012 LE11 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.10p3)
- K12L07U 2012 LU7 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 30.95-96p3)
- K12H31G 2012 HG31 (arc=106 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from New Millennium Obs. (July 19.89p2)
- K10OA1B 2010 OB101 (arc=3 opp, H=20.7 ~245m) from St. Pardon de Conques Obs. (Aug. 1.05-11p3)
- K10O22S 2010 OS22 (arc=3 opp, H=18.2 ~776m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.23-24p5)
- K09A00V 2009 AV (i=45.9°, arc=2 opp, H=18.0 ~851m) from New Millennium Obs. (July 17.00-05p6, 18.99-01p3 & 19.98-03p5)
- K05U00C 2005 UC (arc=2 opp, H=19.8 ~371m) from St. Pardon de Conques Obs. (Aug. 1.06-08p2) and ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.26-28p3)
- K00R77N 2000 RN77 (arc=3 opp, H=19.5 ~426m) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.07-08p3) and ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.28-29p7)
- X1769 331769 2003 BQ35 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 30.99p3)
- X0825 330825 2008 XE3 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.07p3) and ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.31-33p7)
- W9614 329614 2003 KU2 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.12p3)
- W9340 329340 2001 LM5 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.03p3)
- W6732 326732 2003 HB6 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 30.88p3) and ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.11-13p8)
- V7685 317685 2003 NO4 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.11p3)
- U4640 304640 2006 WW1 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.01-02p3)
- L9071 219071 1997 US9 from LINEAR (July 31.23-26p4)
- 87311 87311 2000 QJ1 from ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.25-26p3)
- 37655 37655 Illapa (1994 PM) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 31.08-09p3)
- 20460 20460 Robwhiteley (1999 LO28) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.21-22p5)
- 05626 5626 1991 FE from ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.18-19p6)
- 05143 5143 Heracles (1991 VL) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 1.29-31p8)
Observers on 2 August '12
Five observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 14 in MPEC 2012-P02 -- 2012 OE1, 2012 OD1, 2012 OB1, 2012 OA1, 2012 NO, 2010 OS22, 2005 UC, 2000 RN77, 87311, 330825, 326732, 20460, 5626, 5143|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 15 in MPEC 2012-P02 -- 2012 OO, 2012 OD1, 2012 NP, 2012 LU7, 2012 LE11, 2000 RN77, 37655, 331769, 330825, 329614, 329340, 326732, 317685, 304640, 153958|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 2 in MPEC 2012-P02 -- 2012 OP4, 219071|
|A24||New Millennium Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2012-P02 -- 2012 NP, 2012 HG31, 2009 AV, 153958|
|I93||St. Pardon de Conques Obs. in France, 2 in MPEC 2012-P02 -- 2010 OB101, 2005 UC|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 2 August '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.