Contents on 10 July '12
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 444 risk-listed objects, 56 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1521 UTC on 10 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 27 June
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 10 July '12
One object reported inside ten LD
There is one object reported inside ten lunar distances (LD) of our planet today. Radar target 2012 MY2 is outbound from 8.33 to 9.13 LD. No other objects are known to come this close until November.
This report was generated at 1522 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 10 July '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page is currently empty
The NEOCP is currently empty and hasn't been noted by The Tracking News as being active yet today (checked at 2346 UTC). It was last noted active yesterday.
New MPECs on 10 July '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2346 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K12L09K 2012 LK9 (Q=4.067 AU, arc=27 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (July 9.12-14p4)
- K12L01R 2012 LR1 (i=42.3°, arc=30 days, H=20.5 ~269m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 9.09-10p3)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- F3958 153958 2002 AM31 (radar) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 6.99-00p3)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K12J11U 2012 JU11 (arc=56 days, H=25.0 ~34m) from Holmes/CTIO (June 8.22-23p2 & July 9.19-20p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12M11M 2012 MM11 (arc=15 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 7.03-04p3) and Wiggins Obs. (July 9.39-40p3)
- K12M07R 2012 MR7 (arc=16 days, H=19.1 ~513m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 9.24-26p5)
- K12M07E 2012 ME7 (arc=16 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 9.29-30p5)
- K12M04V 2012 MV4 (arc=17 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 7.08p3)
- K12M04R 2012 MR4 (i=53.1°, arc=21 days, H=17.6 ~1.02 km) from Holmes/CTIO (July 9.26-28p5)
- K12L11E 2012 LE11 (Q=4.489 AU, arc=25 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 7.07p3) and Wiggins Obs. (July 9.42-44p3)
- K12L07U 2012 LU7 (arc=27 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from Tesla Obs. (July 9.92-93p6)
- K12H69R 2012 HR69 (arc=78 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 8.88-91p2)
- K12H34C 2012 HC34 (i=36.3°, arc=72 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 8.98-99p3)
- K12H31G 2012 HG31 (arc=85 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 3.93-94p2) and Santa Mama Obs. (July 9.89-93p5)
- K12A03D 2012 AD3 (arc=76 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (March 18.29-32p5 at R=23.2-24.0)
- K11X03O 2011 XO3 (Q=5.385 AU, arc=221 days, H=16.7 ~1.55 km) from Holmes/CTIO (July 8.95-97p5)
- J99O03Q 1999 OQ3 (arc=2 opp, H=20.1 ~323m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 8.93-95p2)
- J94N00K 1994 NK (arc=2 opp, H=20.0 ~339m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 3.99-01p2)
- X2408 332408 2007 MM13 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 6.94p3)
- X1769 331769 2003 BQ35 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 7.01-02p4)
- X1471 331471 1984 QY1 from Santa Mama Obs. (July 9.87-89p5)
- W9291 329291 2000 JB6 from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 3.99p2)
- W9275 329275 1999 VP6 from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 3.96-98p3)
- U4640 304640 2006 WW1 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 7.06p3)
- 85818 85818 1998 XM4 from Santa Mama Obs. (July 9.85-86p5)
- 37655 37655 Illapa (1994 PM) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 7.05p4)
- 05836 5836 1993 MF from Santa Mama Obs. (July 9.83-84p5)
Observers on 10 July '12
Seven observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 8 in MPEC 2012-N13 -- 2012 MV4, 2012 MM11, 2012 LE11, 37655, 332408, 331769, 304640, 153958|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 8 in MPEC 2012-N13 -- 2012 MR7, 2012 MR4, 2012 ME7, 2012 LR1, 2012 LK9, 2012 JU11, 2012 HC34, 2011 XO3|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2012-N13 -- 2012 AD3|
|B38||Santa Mama Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2012-N13 -- 2012 HG31, 85818, 331471, 5836|
|204||Schiaparelli Obs. in Italy, 6 in MPEC 2012-N13 -- 2012 HR69, 2012 HG31, 1999 OQ3, 1994 NK, 329291, 329275|
|I76||Tesla Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2012-N13 -- 2012 LU7|
|718||Wiggins Obs. in Utah, 2 in MPEC 2012-N13 -- 2012 MM11, 2012 LE11|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 10 July '12
At last check (JPL at 2349 and NEODyS at 2346 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.