Contents on 7 July '12
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- nine observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 444 risk-listed objects, 56 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1441 UTC on 7 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 27 June
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 7 July '12
One object reported inside ten LD
One asteroid is reported to be within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Radar target 2012 MY2 is outbound from 5.94 to 6.73 LD. Next up, there is nothing known approaching the ten-LD "bubble" until November.
This report was generated at 1442 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 7 July '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page is currently empty
The NEOCP is currently empty and hasn't been noted by The Tracking News as being active yet today (checked at 2359 UTC). It was last noted active on June 30th.
New MPECs on 7 July '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there have been two MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2012-N08 time-stamped "06:01 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2012-N09 time-stamped "17:27 UT" - 2006 AO98
MPEC 2012-N09 - "17:27 UT" - 2006 AO98
- K06A98O 2006 AO98 (KBO, q=34.423 AU, Q=41.769 AU, H=7.9 ~89.1 km) from Joel Parker via Kitt Peak Natl. Obs. (KPNO) (2008 Dec. 21.49p1 at r=22.7, 2008 Dec. 21.55p1 at r=23.0 & 2008 Dec. 22.47p1 at r=22.6)
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K12M02U 2012 MU2 (arc=11 days, H=20.8 ~234m, radar support) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (July 5.16-17p3) and Tesla Obs. (July 6.96-97p3)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- W9437 329437 2002 OA22 (PMD) from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 3.96-98p3) and ARO Westfield (July 5.23-25p3)
- F3958 153958 2002 AM31 (radar) from St. Pardon de Conques Obs. (July 6.99-02p4)
- E1018 141018 2001 WC47 (PMD) from ARO Westfield (July 5.17-19p4)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of almost-small asteroids (21.7<H<=22.0)
- K12J11W 2012 JW11 (arc=52 days, H=21.9 ~141m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (July 6.31-32p2)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12M11M 2012 MM11 (arc=12 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (June 30.98-99p3), ARO Westfield (July 5.26-27p4), Castelmartini Obs. (July 6.03-04p3), and Holmes/CTIO (July 6.26-27p7)
- K12M07G 2012 MG7 (arc=13 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 6.26-27p5)
- K12M06K 2012 MK6 (Q=4.045 AU, arc=13 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 1.05-06p2)
- K12M04V 2012 MV4 (arc=15 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from ARO Westfield (July 5.31-32p3)
- K12L11E 2012 LE11 (Q=4.491 AU, arc=22 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from ARO Westfield (July 5.34p3) and Castelmartini Obs. (July 6.09-10p3)
- K12L09L 2012 LL9 (Q=4.700 AU, arc=24 days, H=18.7 ~616m) from ARO Westfield (July 5.20-22p3) and Sandlot Obs. (July 7.16-17p3)
- K12L07U 2012 LU7 (arc=23 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (June 30.91-92p3) and Castelmartini Obs. (July 5.95-96p3)
- K12L01C 2012 LC1 (arc=27 days, H=16.3 ~1.86 km) from ARO Westfield (July 5.12-13p3)
- K12H31G 2012 HG31 (arc=81 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 5.91-92p3)
- K12G11X 2012 GX11 (arc=83 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 6.28-29p5)
- K12F52M 2012 FM52 (arc=102 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from ARO Westfield (July 5.14-15p3) and Sandlot Obs. (July 7.13-15p3)
- K06KA3M 2006 KM103 (arc=5 opp, H=20.2 ~309m) from St. Pardon de Conques Obs. (July 6.93-97p3)
- K05N21E 2005 NE21 (arc=3 opp, H=21.3 ~186m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 4.05-06p2)
- X1769 331769 2003 BQ35 from Schiaparelli Obs. (June 30.93-95p2)
- X1471 331471 1984 QY1 from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 3.93-94p3) and ARO Westfield (July 5.10-11p3)
- W9614 329614 2003 KU2 from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 4.04-05p5)
- W6732 326732 2003 HB6 from Schiaparelli Obs. (July 3.94-95p3)
- M8587 228587 2002 AP7 from Holmes/CTIO (July 6.33-34p4)
- F5334 155334 2006 DZ169 from Los Molinos Obs. (July 7.17-18p4)
- D7120 137120 1999 BJ8 from Los Molinos Obs. (July 7.13-15p6)
Observers on 7 July '12
Nine observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 10 in MPEC 2012-N08 -- 2012 MV4, 2012 MU2, 2012 MM11, 2012 LL9, 2012 LE11, 2012 LC1, 2012 FM52, 331471, 329437, 141018|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2012-N08 -- 2012 MM11, 2012 LU7, 2012 LE11, 2012 HG31|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 5 in MPEC 2012-N08 -- 2012 MM11, 2012 MG7, 2012 JW11, 2012 GX11, 228587|
|6959||Joel Parker via Kitt Peak Natl. Obs. in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2012-N09 -- 2006 AO98|
|844||Los Molinos Obs. in Uruguay, 2 in MPEC 2012-N08 -- 155334, 137120|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 2 in MPEC 2012-N08 -- 2012 LL9, 2012 FM52|
|204||Schiaparelli Obs. in Italy, 9 in MPEC 2012-N08 -- 2012 MM11, 2012 MK6, 2012 LU7, 2005 NE21, 331769, 331471, 329614, 329437, 326732|
|I93||St. Pardon de Conques Obs. in France, 2 in MPEC 2012-N08 -- 2006 KM103, 153958|
|I76||Tesla Obs., 1 in MPEC 2012-N08 -- 2012 MU2|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 7 July '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.