Contents on 5 July '12
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 445 risk-listed objects, 57 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1539 UTC on 5 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 27 June
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 5 July '12
One object reported inside ten LD
One asteroid is reported moving inside ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Radar target 2012 MY2 is outbound from 4.36 to 5.15 LD. No other object is known to approach within ten LD until November.
This report was generated at 1540 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 5 July '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page is currently empty
The NEOCP is currently empty and hasn't been noted by The Tracking News as being active yet today (checked at 2359 UTC). It was last noted active on June 30th.
New MPECs on 5 July '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K12M02U 2012 MU2 (arc=17 days, H=20.8 ~234m, radar support) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (July 4.15-16p3) and Great Shefford Obs. (July 4.97p2)
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- K12L01Z 2012 LZ1 (Q=4.086 AU, arc=24 days, H=19.9 ~355m, radar) from ARO Westfield (July 4.31-33p5)
- F3958 153958 2002 AM31 (radar) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 4.91-92p4)
-- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K12H00O 2012 HO (arc=74 days, H=22.7 ~98m) from ARO Westfield (June 9.18-22p2 at V=22.5-23.0, 14.20-23p2 at V=22.6-23.1 & 15.19-23p2 at V=22.9-23.2) and David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (June 29.47-49p3 at R=22.8-23.0)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12M11M 2012 MM11 (arc=11 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (June 28.96-97p2), Kevin Hills via RAS Obs. Moorook (July 3.64-65p2), ARO Westfield (July 4.28-29p4), and Castelmartini Obs. (July 4.93-94p5)
- K12M07G 2012 MG7 (arc=9 days, H=21.2 ~195m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (June 27.06-07p2)
- K12M07C 2012 MC7 (arc=13 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.16-17p4) and Great Shefford Obs. (July 4.99-02p3)
- K12L11G 2012 LG11 (i=37.0°, arc=19 days, H=19.2 ~490m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.21-23p3)
- K12L11E 2012 LE11 (Q=4.484 AU, arc=20 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.30-32p5)
- K12L07U 2012 LU7 (arc=22 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.27-29p4) and Castelmartini Obs. (July 4.91p3)
- K12J17R 2012 JR17 (Q=4.121 AU, arc=51 days, H=17.8 ~933m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.37p3)
- K12H69R 2012 HR69 (arc=66 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (June 26.92-94p2)
- K12H31G 2012 HG31 (arc=80 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.21-23p3) and Castelmartini Obs. (July 4.87p3)
- K11Y62U 2011 YU62 (Q=4.768 AU, arc=2 opp, H=17.6 ~1.02 km) from ARO Westfield (July 4.24-26p3)
- K08O02X 2008 OX2 (arc=3 opp, H=20.1 ~323m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (June 26.98-99p2)
- K01W01N 2001 WN1 (arc=4 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.29-31p3)
- K01QE2G 2001 QG142 (arc=2 opp, H=18.2 ~776m) from ARO Westfield (July 4.33-34p3)
- W6732 326732 2003 HB6 from Castelmartini Obs. (July 4.88p4)
- G2980 162980 2001 RR17 from Galati Obs. (July 3.95-96p5)
Observers on 5 July '12
Seven observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 13 in MPEC 2012-N06 -- 2012 MU2, 2012 MM11, 2012 MC7, 2012 LZ1, 2012 LU7, 2012 LG11, 2012 LE11, 2012 JR17, 2012 HO, 2012 HG31, 2011 YU62, 2001 WN1, 2001 QG142|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 5 in MPEC 2012-N06 -- 2012 MM11, 2012 LU7, 2012 HG31, 326732, 153958|
|C73||Galati Obs. in Romania, 1 in MPEC 2012-N06 -- 162980|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 2 in MPEC 2012-N06 -- 2012 MU2, 2012 MC7|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2012-N06 -- 2012 HO|
|D90`||Kevin Hills in England via RAS Obs. Moorook in South Australia, 1 in MPEC 2012-N06 -- 2012 MM11|
|204||Schiaparelli Obs. in Italy, 4 in MPEC 2012-N06 -- 2012 MM11, 2012 MG7, 2012 HR69, 2008 OX2|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 5 July '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.