Contents on 4 July '12
- Traffic Report -- one object
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- six observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 445 risk-listed objects, 57 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1622 UTC on 4 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 27 June
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 4 July '12
One object reported inside ten LD
There is one visitor reported within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Radar target 2012 MY2 exits Earth's Hill sphere, passing from 3.59 to 4.36 LD. No other object is known to come inside ten LD until November.
This report was generated at 1623 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Earth's Hill sphere (of gravitational influence) is estimated to extend out to around 3.89 LD. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 4 July '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page is currently empty
The NEOCP is currently empty and hasn't been noted by The Tracking News as being active yet today (checked at 2358 UTC). It was last noted active on June 30th.
New MPECs on 4 July '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observation campaigns (radar support, potential mission destinations)
- K12L01Z 2012 LZ1 (Q=4.086 AU, arc=22 days, H=19.9 ~355m, radar) from Cordell-Lorenz Obs. (June 24.35-40p6)
- W9437 329437 2002 OA22 (PMD) from Galati Obs. (July 3.94-95p14)
- E1018 141018 2001 WC47 (PMD) from Bornheim Obs. (March 15.83-85p4, 19.90-91p4 & 22.83-85p3)
-- Potential mission destinations list & ephemerides + NHATS -- Planetary radar schedules: Arecibo & Goldstone
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12M11M 2012 MM11 (arc=10 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from Galati Obs. (July 3.91-92p7)
- K12L11G 2012 LG11 (i=37.0°, arc=17 days, H=19.2 ~490m) from Cordell-Lorenz Obs. (June 18.27-31p3, 19.19-26p4 & 23.34-37p3)
- K12L11F 2012 LF11 (arc=18 days, H=20.8 ~234m) from Cordell-Lorenz Obs. (June 18.35-39p3, 19.29-38p6 & 20.23-31p4)
- K12L11E 2012 LE11 (Q=4.470 AU, arc=20 days, H=17.9 ~891m) from Galati Obs. (July 3.98-99p13)
- K12L07U 2012 LU7 (arc=21 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from Castelmartini Obs. (July 3.94p3)
- K12J16B 2012 JB16 (arc=50 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (July 2.96p2)
- K11Y15V 2011 YV15 (Q=4.394 AU, arc=3 opp, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Bornheim Obs. (March 15.94-96p4 & 16.95-96p4)
- K11SA2L 2011 SL102 (arc=3 opp, H=18.2 ~776m) from Bornheim Obs. (Jan. 16.88-89p4 & 17.82-83p4)
- K07M20T 2007 MT20 (arc=3 opp, H=18.8 ~589m) from Galati Obs. (July 3.99-01p4)
- W9614 329614 2003 KU2 from Pinsoro Obs. (June 30.05p3)
- V7643 317643 2003 FH1 from Bornheim Obs. (March 22.88-89p3 & 25.84-87p4)
- V0842 310842 2003 AK18 from Bornheim Obs. (Jan. 16.86-87p4 & 17.81-82p3)
- E1056 141056 2001 XV4 from Galati Obs. (July 3.88-89p7)
- 32906 32906 1994 RH from Bornheim Obs. (Jan. 31.80-83p3 & Feb. 1.87-89p4)
- 24761 24761 Ahau (1993 BW2) from Galati Obs. (July 3.92-93p7)
- 08035 8035 1992 TB from Galati Obs. (July 3.97p2)
Observers on 4 July '12
Six observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|127||Bornheim Obs. in Germany, 6 in MPEC 2012-N05 -- 2011 YV15, 2011 SL102, 32906, 317643, 310842, 141018|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2012-N05 -- 2012 LU7|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2012-N05 -- 2012 JB16|
|850||Cordell-Lorenz Obs. in Tennessee, 3 in MPEC 2012-N05 -- 2012 LZ1, 2012 LG11, 2012 LF11|
|C73||Galati Obs. in Romania, 7 in MPEC 2012-N05 -- 2012 MM11, 2012 LE11, 2007 MT20, 329437, 24761, 141056, 8035|
|J52||Pinsoro Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2012-N05 -- 329614|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 4 July '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.