Contents on 9 April '12
- Traffic Report -- two objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- five observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page (archive)
Of 453 risk-listed objects, 25 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1632 UTC on 9 April.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated & nearby objects + potential mission destinations
- News image catalog
- News old archive & Small Objects Archive
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 7 April
- Observing Campaigns
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 9 April '12
Two objects reported inside ten LD
Two objects are reported traveling inside ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. 2012 FA57 departs from inside ten LD, passing from 8.52 to 10.56 LD, and risk-listed 2012 GD moves inward from 9.85 to 9.44 LD. Approaching our neighborhood, 2007 HV4 arrives inside ten LD on April 14th and 1992 JD on April 30th.
This report was generated at 1633 UTC.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical significance but is a useful reporting boundary. Object distances are interpreted by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 9 April '12
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 2 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had two objects listed.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 9 April '12
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K12G00K 2012 GK (small asteroid, arc=6 days, H=22.7 ~98m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (April 8.25-27p3)
- Observations of other asteroidal objects
- K12F44Z 2012 FZ44 (arc=14 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.12-14p3)
- K12F35R 2012 FR35 (arc=15 days, H=21.7 ~155m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.12-13p2)
- K12F23D 2012 FD23 (arc=19 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.12-13p3)
- K12E14S 2012 ES14 (Q=4.228 AU, arc=25 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.14-16p4) and Bigmuskie Obs. (April 8.92-93p3)
- K12D75X 2012 DX75 (arc=39 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.16-18p6)
- K12D61K 2012 DK61 (arc=45 days, H=21.1 ~204m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.18-20p2)
- K12D31G 2012 DG31 (arc=2 opp, H=20.0 ~339m) from the Spacewatch 0.9m telescope (1995 July 27.36-40p3)
- K12D30U 2012 DU30 (arc=2 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from Marc W. Buie via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (2004 July 16.35p1 & 2004 July 16.40p1)
- K12D08P 2012 DP8 (arc=2 opp, H=19.9 ~355m) from Spacewatch 0.9m (1998 Feb. 23.42-46p2)
- K12BC4D 2012 BD124 (arc=2 opp, H=18.9 ~562m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (2011 June 26.62-64p2)
- K12A11A 2012 AA11 (arc=86 days, H=20.1 ~323m) from Bigmuskie Obs. (April 8.84p3) and Thompsonville Obs. (April 9.13-15p6)
- K11P06W 2011 PW6 (arc=2 opp, H=18.6 ~645m) from Holmes/CTIO (March 26.40-41p3 & April 7.98-99p2)
- K09K00J 2009 KJ (q=0.351 AU, arc=3 opp, H=17.1 ~1.29 km) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.09-11p3)
- K08W13Z 2008 WZ13 (arc=2 opp, H=18.6 ~645m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.36p2)
- K06V13Q 2006 VQ13 (arc=4 opp, H=20.1 ~323m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.07-09p4)
- K05EM4E 2005 EE224 (arc=4 opp, H=19.9 ~355m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 7.30-32p3 & 8.32-33p3)
- K04V00B 2004 VB (arc=4 opp, H=20.8 ~234m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.26-28p4)
- K02J09Q 2002 JQ9 (arc=4 opp, H=19.3 ~467m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.34-37p4)
- K00GE6S 2000 GS146 (i=46.9°, arc=4 opp, H=17.9 ~891m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.29-32p4)
- J98H03M 1998 HM3 (i=39.3°, arc=4 opp, H=19.0 ~537m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 7.28-29p2 & 8.29-31p4)
- J95F00J 1995 FJ (arc=3 opp, H=20.2 ~309m) from Holmes/CTIO (April 6.36-37p2 & 8.22-24p2)
- Q3976 263976 2009 KD5 from Bigmuskie Obs. (April 9.02-04p3)
- 66272 66272 1999 JW6 from Holmes/CTIO (April 7.30-31p2 & 8.37-39p3)
- 52750 52750 1998 KK17 from Holmes/CTIO (April 8.37-40p2)
Observers on 9 April '12
Five observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|B88||Bigmuskie Obs. in Italy, 3 in MPEC 2012-G26 -- 2012 ES14, 2012 AA11, 263976|
|8071||Marc W. Buie via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2012-G26 -- 2012 DU30|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 19 in MPEC 2012-G26 -- 2012 GK, 2012 FZ44, 2012 FR35, 2012 FD23, 2012 ES14, 2012 DX75, 2012 DK61, 2011 PW6, 2009 KJ, 2008 WZ13, 2006 VQ13, 2005 EE224, 2004 VB, 2002 JQ9, 2000 GS146, 1998 HM3, 1995 FJ, 66272, 52750|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2012-G26 -- 2012 BD124|
|691||Spacewatch 0.9m telescope in Arizona, 2 in MPEC 2012-G26 -- 2012 DP8, 2012 DG31|
|H53||Thompsonville Obs. in Illinois, 1 in MPEC 2012-G26 -- 2012 AA11|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 9 April '12
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today, except that observation of one risk-listed object has been reported (see today's DOU MPEC above). Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.