Contents on 1 November '11
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- fourteen observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- two objects
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 427 risk-listed objects, 33 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1640 UTC on 1 Nov.
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report -- inactive
- Ephemerides for risk-rated objects
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers - updated 1 Nov.
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 1 November '11
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 14 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had fourteen objects listed. Of these, eight were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 26 listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 1 November '11
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there have been seven MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts. No Daily Orbit Update DOU MPEC has been posted yet, so visit the MPC Status Page for possible explanation.
- MPEC 2011-V01 time-stamped "00:13 UT" - 2011 UG256 - see below
- MPEC 2011-V02 time-stamped "19:45 UT" - 2011 UX275 - see below
- MPEC 2011-V03 time-stamped "19:47 UT" - 2011 UY275 - see below
- MPEC 2011-V04 time-stamped "19:50 UT" - 2011 UZ275 - see below
- MPEC 2011-V05 time-stamped "19:51 UT" - 2011 UA276 - see below
- MPEC 2011-V06 time-stamped "19:53 UT" - 2011 UB276 - see below
- MPEC 2011-V07 time-stamped "19:55 UT" - 2011 UC276
MPEC 2011-V07 - "19:55 UT" - 2011 UC276
- K11UR6C 2011 UC276 (small asteroid, H=26.4 ~18m) from the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) (Oct. 31.35-37p4, 31.43p4 & Nov. 1.38p4) and the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (Oct. 31.38-39p3)
MPEC 2011-V06 - "19:53 UT" - 2011 UB276
- K11UR6B 2011 UB276 (small asteroid, H=23.2 ~78m) from MLS (Oct. 31.31-33p4), Spacewatch 1.8m (Oct. 31.37-38p3 & Nov. 1.15p3), Terskol Obs. (Oct. 31.87-88p3), ESA Optical Ground Station (ESA OGS) (Nov. 1.08-10p3), Sandlot Obs. (Nov. 1.15-18p3), and Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Nov. 1.30-31p4)
MPEC 2011-V05 - "19:51 UT" - 2011 UA276
- K11UR6A 2011 UA276 (small asteroid, H=24.8 ~37m) from MLS (Oct. 31.31-33p4), Spacewatch 1.8m (Oct. 31.37p3), ESA OGS (Nov. 1.05-07p3), and ARO Westfield (Nov. 1.32-33p4)
MPEC 2011-V04 - "19:50 UT" - 2011 UZ275
- K11UR5Z 2011 UZ275 (small asteroid, H=22.8 ~93m) from the Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) (Oct. 31.29-33p8), Moriyama Obs. (Oct. 31.60-61p3), Kevin Hills via RAS Obs. Moorook (Oct. 31.66-67p3), Terskol Obs. (Oct. 31.88-89p3), Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (Nov. 1.09-10p6), and Sandlot Obs. (Nov. 1.20-21p3)
MPEC 2011-V03 - "19:47 UT" - 2011 UY275
- K11UR5Y 2011 UY275 (small asteroid, H=26.0 ~21m) from MLS (Oct. 31.27-34p8 at V=20.8-21.9 & Nov. 1.38p4 at V=21.3-22.4)
MPEC 2011-V02 - "19:45 UT" - 2011 UX275
- K11UR5X 2011 UX275 (small asteroid, Earth MOID=7.7 LD, H=25.8 ~23m) from MLS (Oct. 31.18-20p4 & 31.30p4), Spacewatch 1.8m (Oct. 31.34p2 & Nov. 1.17-18p3), Terskol Obs. (Oct. 31.97-98p3), ESA OGS (Nov. 1.02-04p3), and ARO Westfield (Nov. 1.34-36p3)
MPEC 2011-V01 - "00:13 UT" - 2011 UG256
Observers on 1 November '11
Fourteen observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|B03||Alter Satzberg Obs. in Austria, 1 in MPEC 2011-V01 -- 2011 UG256|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 4 in MPECs 2011-V01, 2011-V02, 2011-V05 & 2011-V06 -- 2011 UX275, 2011 UG256, 2011 UB276, 2011 UA276|
|703||Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2011-V04 -- 2011 UZ275|
|807|||Robert Holmes in Illinois via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2011-V04 -- 2011 UZ275|
|J04||ESA Optical Ground Station (ESA OGS) in the Canary Islands, 3 in MPECs 2011-V02, 2011-V05 & 2011-V06 -- 2011 UX275, 2011 UB276, 2011 UA276|
|A17||Guidestar Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2011-V01 -- 2011 UG256|
|B86||Hagen Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2011-V01 -- 2011 UG256|
|900||Moriyama Obs. in Japan, 1 in MPEC 2011-V04 -- 2011 UZ275|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) in Arizona, 5 in MPECs 2011-V02, 2011-V03, 2011-V05, 2011-V06 & 2011-V07 -- 2011 UY275, 2011 UX275, 2011 UC276, 2011 UB276, 2011 UA276|
|D90`||Kevin Hills in England via RAS Obs. Moorook in South Australia, 1 in MPEC 2011-V04 -- 2011 UZ275|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 2 in MPECs 2011-V04 & 2011-V06 -- 2011 UZ275, 2011 UB276|
|691||Spacewatch 0.9m telescope in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2011-V01 -- 2011 UG256|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 5 in MPECs 2011-V01, 2011-V02, 2011-V05, 2011-V06 & 2011-V07 -- 2011 UX275, 2011 UG256, 2011 UC276, 2011 UB276, 2011 UA276|
|B18||Terskol Obs. in Russia, 3 in MPECs 2011-V02, 2011-V04 & 2011-V06 -- 2011 UZ275, 2011 UX275, 2011 UB276|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 1 November '11
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2011 UZ255||NEODyS||1636||2066-2072||5||4.26e-06||-4.62||-4.69||0||NEODyS: "Based on 21 optical observations (of which 0 are rejected as outliers) from 2011-10-30.447 to 2011-10-31.435."|
|2011 UW255||NEODyS||1636||2043-2089||18||4.51e-08||-6.60||-7.25||0||NEODyS: "Based on 22 optical observations (of which 2 are rejected as outliers) from 2011-10-30.161 to 2011-10-31.165."|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 1 November '11
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2016||Grabbed MPEC 2011-V02 - 2011 UX275 - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2011-V03 - 2011 UY275 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2011-V04 - 2011 UZ275 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2011-V05 - 2011 UA276 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2011-V06 - 2011 UB276 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2011-V07 - 2011 UC276 - see above
|1636||Noted that NEODyS has posted 2011 UW255 as an impact risk - see above|
Noted that NEODyS has posted 2011 UZ255 as an impact risk - see above
|0028||Grabbed MPEC 2011-V01 - 2011 UG256 - see above|