Contents on 18 August '11
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- six observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- one object
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 407 risk-listed objects, 10 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1608 UTC on 18 Aug.
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
No objects are known to be within ten LD of Earth today. Updated at 1935 UTC on 9 Aug.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 18 August '11
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 1 listing
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one object listed.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 18 August '11
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K11P02E 2011 PE2 (small asteroid, arc=9 days, H=23.0 ~85m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Aug. 17.22-24p3)
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K11P01O 2011 PO1 (Q=4.210 AU, arc=13 days, H=20.9 ~224m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.25-27p4) and Sandlot Obs. (Aug. 17.29-32p4)
- K11O17Y 2011 OY17 (almost small, arc=22 days, H=21.9 ~141m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.21-22p4) and GiaGa Obs. (Aug. 18.01-03p2)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K11O10J 2011 OJ10 (arc=21 days, H=22.3 ~117m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.17-18p3)
- K11O00E 2011 OE (arc=27 days, H=23.3 ~74m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.14-15p3)
- K00SY4J 2000 SJ344 (arc=4 opp, H=22.6 ~102m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (Aug. 7.61p1 at R=22.6)
- Observations of other objects
- K11P00S 2011 PS (arc=15 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.29-31p5) and Sandlot Obs. (Aug. 17.35-37p3)
- K11O24P 2011 OP24 (arc=20 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.11-13p2)
- K11O05M 2011 OM5 (Q=4.000 AU, arc=23 days, H=21.0 ~214m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.22-24p5)
- K11O04W 2011 OW4 (arc=23 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.08-09p4)
- K11O04V 2011 OV4 (arc=24 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from GiaGa Obs. (Aug. 17.98p1 & 18.02p1)
- K11N00Z 2011 NZ (arc=42 days, H=20.9 ~224m) from GiaGa Obs. (Aug. 17.96-99p2)
- K11M04O 2011 MO4 (arc=48 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.28-30p3)
- K11L10X 2011 LX10 (arc=72 days, H=16.5 ~1.70 km) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.19-21p3)
- K11G55A 2011 GA55 (arc=2 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from Blanquita Obs. (Aug. 16.92-93p3)
- K11A52O 2011 AO52 (Q=4.408 AU, arc=215 days, H=18.2 ~776m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.09-12p3 at V=21.9-22.1)
- K03Q10C 2003 QC10 (q=0.369 AU, arc=3 opp, H=17.9 ~891m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 17.30-32p3)
- K00CA1P 2000 CP101 (arc=2 opp, H=19.8 ~371m) from GiaGa Obs. (Aug. 17.87p1 & 17.92p1) and Atlante Obs. (Aug. 17.88-90p3)
- S0136 280136 2002 OM4 from GiaGa Obs. (Aug. 17.88p1 & 17.94p1)
Observers on 18 August '11
Six observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 13 in MPEC 2011-Q03 -- 2011 PS, 2011 PO1, 2011 PE2, 2011 OY17, 2011 OW4, 2011 OP24, 2011 OM5, 2011 OJ10, 2011 OE, 2011 MO4, 2011 LX10, 2011 AO52, 2003 QC10|
|J51||Atlante Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2011-Q03 -- 2000 CP101|
|I99||Blanquita Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2011-Q03 -- 2011 GA55|
|203||GiaGa Obs. in Italy, 5 in MPEC 2011-Q03 -- 2011 OY17, 2011 OV4, 2011 NZ, 2000 CP101, 280136|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2011-Q03 -- 2000 SJ344|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 2 in MPEC 2011-Q03 -- 2011 PS, 2011 PO1|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 18 August '11
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2011 PE2||JPL Sentry||1607||2027-2056||3||8.2e-05||-2.79||-2.84||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 46 observations spanning 9.1768 days (2011-Aug-08.06387 to 2011-Aug-17.240692)." Diameter approximately 0.084 km. from mean, weighted H=23.0.|
|NEODyS||1607||2027-2090||5||8.69e-05||-2.77||-2.84||0||NEODyS: "Based on 46 optical observations (of which 0 are rejected as outliers) from 2011-08-08.065 to 2011-08-17.241."|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 18 August '11
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1607||Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2011 PE2 risk assessment - see above|
Noted that NEODyS has updated its 2011 PE2 risk assessment - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2011-Q03 - Daily Orbit Update - see above