Astronomer Tom Gehrels has passed away. He was an early member of the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Lab and co-founder of the pioneering Spacewatch Project, among numerous other accomplishments. See yesterday's U.A. news and Sky & Telescope report. Photo courtesy of U.A.
Contents on 13 July '11
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- six observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 407 risk-listed objects, 12 have had news in the last 30 days. Updated at 1625 UTC on 13 July.
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
One object is known to be within ten LD of Earth today. Updated at 1754 UTC on 13 July.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 13 July '11
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 5 listings
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had five objects listed. Of these, one was a "one nighter." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of seven listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 13 July '11
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K11M04O 2011 MO4 (arc=12 days, H=19.3 ~467m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (July 11.32-33p5 & 12.31-32p4)
- K11L19A 2011 LA19 (Q=4.829 AU, arc=33 days, H=19.3 ~467m) from Doc Greiner Research Obs. (DGRO) (July 5.17p1) and ARO Westfield (July 12.17-18p3)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K11M01W 2011 MW1 (arc=17 days, H=22.4 ~112m) from ARO Westfield (July 12.34p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K11N00Z 2011 NZ (arc=6 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) (July 12.16-17p3) and ARO Westfield (July 12.32-33p3)
- K11N00Y 2011 NY (arc=6 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from ARO Westfield (July 12.29-31p4)
- K11N00P 2011 NP (i=39.0°, arc=9 days, H=19.7 ~389m) from ARO Westfield (July 12.29-31p4)
- K11M01V 2011 MV1 (arc=17 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from ARO Westfield (July 12.33-34p4)
- K11M00K 2011 MK (arc=19 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from DGRO (July 5.26-27p3)
- K11M00E 2011 ME (q=0.369 AU, arc=21 days, H=19.5 ~426m) from ARO Westfield (July 12.13-14p3)
- K11K09N 2011 KN9 (arc=2 opp, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (July 12.12-14p4)
- K11J08A 2011 JA8 (Q=5.182 AU, arc=67 days, H=17.7 ~977m) from ARO Westfield (July 12.15-16p3)
- K11F29B 2011 FB29 (arc=104 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 12.18-19p4)
- K11E78Z 2011 EZ78 (arc=119 days, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (July 12.69-70p18)
- K11D09S 2011 DS9 (Q=4.301 AU, arc=135 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.36-37p3)
- K09W06R 2009 WR6 (arc=3 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from Bergen-Enkheim Obs. (July 11.97-03p3)
- K09Q06Z 2009 QZ6 (arc=3 opp, H=17.8 ~933m) from ARO Westfield (July 12.35-37p3)
- K09A00V 2009 AV (i=45.9°, arc=2 opp, H=18.0 ~851m) from ARO Westfield (July 12.35-37p2)
- K08L16V 2008 LV16 (arc=2 opp, H=20.2 ~309m) from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (July 12.52-57p10)
- K08K06D 2008 KD6 (arc=2 opp, H=19.7 ~389m) from San Marcello Pistoiese Obs. (July 5.95-97p4)
- K06S06C 2006 SC6 (arc=6 opp, H=18.0 ~851m) from ARO Westfield (July 11.34-35p3)
- K02X90P 2002 XP90 (arc=4 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from Holmes/CTIO (July 12.15-17p3)
- 68348 68348 2001 LO7 from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (July 12.58p6)
Observers on 13 July '11
Six observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 14 in MPEC 2011-N42 -- 2011 NZ, 2011 NY, 2011 NP, 2011 MW1, 2011 MV1, 2011 MO4, 2011 ME, 2011 LA19, 2011 KN9, 2011 JA8, 2011 DS9, 2009 QZ6, 2009 AV, 2006 SC6|
|A74||Bergen-Enkheim Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2011-N42 -- 2009 WR6|
|807|||Robert Holmes via Cerro Tololo Inter-American Obs. (CTIO) in Chile, 3 in MPEC 2011-N42 -- 2011 NZ, 2011 FB29, 2002 XP90|
|H26||Doc Greiner Research Obs. (DGRO) in Wisconsin, 2 in MPEC 2011-N42 -- 2011 MK, 2011 LA19|
|379||Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. in Japan, 3 in MPEC 2011-N42 -- 2011 EZ78, 2008 LV16, 68348|
|104||San Marcello Pistoiese Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2011-N42 -- 2008 KD6|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 13 July '11
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 13 July '11
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1625||Grabbed MPEC 2011-N42 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|