The Planetary Society has a page with multiple videos from a recent inside tour of the SOPHIA airborne observatory, and also an audio report. The images above of the aircraft and 2.5-meter infrared telescope are credited to NASA/Dryden, Tom Tschida (left), and Jim Ross from earlier this year.
Contents on 30 December '10
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- eleven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 388 risk-listed objects, 350 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1702 UTC on 30 Dec.
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
Three objects are known to be within ten LD of Earth today. Updated at 1920 UTC on 30 Dec.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 30 December '10
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 4 listings: 3 new, 1 updated
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had three new and one updated listings. Of these, two were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of seven listings on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 30 December '10
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there have been two MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2010-Y37 time-stamped "07:10 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2010-Y38 time-stamped "20:45 UT" - 2010 YW
MPEC 2010-Y38 - "20:45 UT" - 2010 YW
- K10Y00W 2010 YW (small asteroid, Earth MOID=5.4 LD, H=23.8 ~59m) from LINEAR (Dec. 29.39-44p5) and Moriyama Obs. (Dec. 30.67-68p3 & 30.80p3)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K10Y00S 2010 YS (arc=0 days, H=22.1 ~129m) from Moriyama Obs. (Dec. 29.76p3)
- K10Y00R 2010 YR (arc=1 day, H=23.9 ~56m) from Bisei Spaceguard Center (Dec. 29.47p4 & 29.56-57p14) and Alter Satzberg Obs. (Dec. 29.80-81p3)
- K10Y00O 2010 YO (arc=3 days, H=24.6 ~41m) from Alter Satzberg Obs. (Dec. 29.85-89p3) and Farra d'Isonzo Obs. (Dec. 29.86p2)
- Observations of other objects
- K10Y00H 2010 YH (arc=4 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Farra d'Isonzo Obs. (Dec. 29.89-94p3) and Alter Satzberg Obs. (Dec. 29.93-96p3)
- K10Y00B 2010 YB (arc=12 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from Lumijoki Obs. (Dec. 27.95-96p4)
- K10X51P 2010 XP51 (Q=4.010 AU, arc=20 days, H=18.6 ~645m) from Hormersdorf Obs. (Dec. 29.04-05p2)
- K10X15C 2010 XC15 (arc=24 days, H=21.4 ~178m) from the Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) (Dec. 29.07-09p4)
- K10W07Q 2010 WQ7 (arc=32 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from CSS (Dec. 29.21-24p4)
- K10VI8K 2010 VK188 (arc=2 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from LINEAR (Dec. 29.27-31p4)
- K10L86F 2010 LF86 (arc=200 days, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from CSS (Dec. 29.12-13p4)
- K10L33R 2010 LR33 (arc=2 opp, H=18.2 ~776m) from LINEAR (Dec. 29.27-29p3)
- K10J33L 2010 JL33 (Q=4.634 AU, arc=4 opp, H=17.6 ~1.02 km) from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (Dec. 29.48-52p8)
- K09D42V 2009 DV42 (arc=4 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from CSS (Dec. 29.42-43p4)
- K05W00E 2005 WE (arc=3 opp, H=19.7 ~389m) from LINEAR (Dec. 29.27-30p3)
- K04Y23Z 2004 YZ23 (i=56.1°, Q=5.745 AU, arc=3 opp, H=15.1 ~3.23 km, q=1.108 AU) from CSS (Dec. 29.22-24p4)
- K02O04S 2002 OS4 (arc=3 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (Dec. 29.56-58p5)
- K02K03L 2002 KL3 (arc=4 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from LINEAR (Dec. 29.46-51p4)
- K00A06C 2000 AC6 (arc=4 opp, H=21.5 ~170m) from CSS (Dec. 29.18-19p3)
- O9886 249886 2001 RY11 from LINEAR (Dec. 29.07-12p5)
- H5706 175706 1996 FG3 from CSS (Dec. 29.35-37p4)
- D7052 137052 1998 VO33 from LINEAR (Dec. 29.39-44p5)
- 86324 86324 1999 WA2 from Starhoo Obs. (Dec. 29.25-26p3)
- 68278 68278 2001 FC7 from ISON-NM Obs. (Dec. 29.17-21p4) and CSS (Dec. 29.25-27p4)
- 12923 12923 Zephyr (1999 GK4) from CSS (Dec. 29.07-09p4)
- 02212 2212 Hephaistos (1978 SB) from CSS (Dec. 29.07-09p4)
- 01864 1864 Daedalus (1971 FA) from LINEAR (Dec. 29.40-45p5)
- 01580 1580 Betulia (1950 KA) from CSS (Dec. 29.16-17p3)
Observers on 30 December '10
Eleven observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|B03||Alter Satzberg Obs. in Austria, 3 in MPEC 2010-Y37 -- 2010 YR, 2010 YO, 2010 YH|
|300||Bisei Spaceguard Center in Japan, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y37 -- 2010 YR|
|703||Catalina Sky Survey (CSS) in Arizona, 11 in MPEC 2010-Y37 -- 2010 XC15, 2010 WQ7, 2010 LF86, 2009 DV42, 2004 YZ23, 2000 AC6, 68278, 175706, 12923, 2212, 1580|
|595||Farra d'Isonzo Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2010-Y37 -- 2010 YO, 2010 YH|
|379||Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. in Japan, 2 in MPEC 2010-Y37 -- 2010 JL33, 2002 OS4|
|A35||Hormersdorf Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y37 -- 2010 XP51|
|H15||ISON-NM Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y37 -- 68278|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 8 in MPECs 2010-Y37 & 2010-Y38 -- 2010 YW, 2010 VK188, 2010 LR33, 2005 WE, 2002 KL3, 249886, 137052, 1864|
|A70||Lumijoki Obs. in Finland, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y37 -- 2010 YB|
|900||Moriyama Obs. in Japan, 2 in MPECs 2010-Y37 & 2010-Y38 -- 2010 YW, 2010 YS|
|I28||Starhoo Obs. in Massachusetts, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y37 -- 86324|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 30 December '10
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.