In this photo, courtesy of NASA/SETI, University of Khartoum students push their bus while one of them guards a little piece of asteroid 2008 TC3 found when they exited the stuck vehicle. Among all the news about the hundreds of recovered fragments, there is this remarkable note from NASA: "ten different meteorite types have been identified ... 'even though we are certain they came from the same asteroid.'"
Contents on 22 December '10
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- six observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 388 risk-listed objects, 350 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1725 UTC on 22 Dec.
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
Four objects are known to be within ten LD of Earth today. Updated at 1816 UTC on 22 Dec.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 22 December '10
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 1 listing: 1 updated
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one updated listing.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 22 December '10
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K10C00L 2010 CL (arc=8 days, H=25.0 ~34m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Feb. 7.06-07p2 & 7.12-13p2)
- Observations of almost-small asteroids (21.7<H<=22.0)
- K10X03G 2010 XG3 (arc=17 days, H=21.9 ~141m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Dec. 14.90p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K10X10O 2010 XO10 (arc=16 days, H=20.4 ~282m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Dec. 15.01p3)
- K10W00L 2010 WL (arc=30 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Dec. 14.99p3)
- K10W00J 2010 WJ (arc=32 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Dec. 14.99p3)
- K10VI8K 2010 VK188 (arc=2 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Dec. 15.04p3)
- K10RI1F 2010 RF181 (arc=95 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Dec. 15.09-10p3)
- K10L86F 2010 LF86 (arc=192 days, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Altamira Obs. (Dec. 20.97-98p3)
- K10L68R 2010 LR68 (Q=4.878 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from Castelmartini Obs. (Dec. 15.06p3)
- K10L34L 2010 LL34 (arc=22 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from WISE (June 21.48p1, 21.61p1, 21.81p1, 21.88p1, 21.94p1, 22.08p1 & 22.21p1)
- K10J33L 2010 JL33 (Q=4.634 AU, arc=4 opp, H=17.6 ~1.02 km) from Altamira Obs. (Dec. 20.99-00p3)
- K08V14K 2008 VK14 (arc=3 opp, H=19.3 ~467m) from WISE (June 21.45p1, 21.58p1 & 21.65p1)
- K06V14B 2006 VB14 (arc=3 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from Kourovskaya Obs. (Dec. 2.79p3 & 2.93p3)
- O8083 248083 2004 QU24 from Boambee Obs. (Dec. 15.42-43p2 & 20.40-42p2)
- F4715 154715 2004 LB6 from Boambee Obs. (Dec. 15.43-44p2, 20.44-45p2 & 21.41-43p4)
- 68350 68350 2001 MK3 from Boambee Obs. (Dec. 15.41-43p3 & 20.41-44p3)
- 04055 4055 Magellan (1985 DO2) from Boambee Obs. (Dec. 15.42-44p3 & 20.41-45p3)
Observers on 22 December '10
Six observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|J24||Altamira Obs. in the Canary Islands, 2 in MPEC 2010-Y21 -- 2010 LF86, 2010 JL33|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y21 -- 2010 CL|
|432||Boambee Obs. in New South Wales, 4 in MPEC 2010-Y21 -- 68350, 248083, 154715, 4055|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 7 in MPEC 2010-Y21 -- 2010 XO10, 2010 XG3, 2010 WL, 2010 WJ, 2010 VK188, 2010 RF181, 2010 LR68|
|168||Kourovskaya Obs. in Russia, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y21 -- 2006 VB14|
|C51||WISE in Earth polar orbit, 2 in MPEC 2010-Y21 -- 2010 LL34, 2008 VK14|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 22 December '10
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 22 December '10
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1724||Grabbed MPEC 2010-Y21 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|