New Mexico Tech reported early this month that the fast-slewing 2.4-meter telescope and its specialized camera at Magdalena Ridge Observatory (MRO) discovered a rotation period of about 31 seconds for tiny intruder 2010 WA. This is second only to 2010 JL88, which MRO determined last May spins once every 24.5 seconds. In this imagery, courtesy of NMT, 2010 WA was near its closest to Earth on November 16th -- at about 29,000 km. or 0.1 lunar distance. (Photometric work such as this may not serve astrometric purposes, and MRO was not among the three facilities that reported positions over a total observing span of less than 21 hours.)
Contents on 20 December '10
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- five observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 389 risk-listed objects, 351 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1659 UTC on 20 Dec.
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
Four objects are known to be within ten LD of Earth today. Updated at 1931 UTC on 20 Dec.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 20 December '10
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 1 listing: 1 new
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one new listing. So far The Tracking News has counted a total of two listings on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 20 December '10
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K10X56O 2010 XO56 (i=40.8°, arc=8 days, H=20.3 ~295m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Dec. 19.39-40p5)
- K10X25D 2010 XD25 (arc=11 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.32-35p6)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K10X11E 2010 XE11 (arc=15 days, H=23.0 ~85m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.28-29p4)
- Observations of almost-small asteroids (21.7<H<=22.0)
- K10X03G 2010 XG3 (arc=17 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.16-17p5)
- Observations of other objects
- K10Y00B 2010 YB (arc=3 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.40-41p3)
- K10X58X 2010 XX58 (q=0.297 AU, Q=4.158 AU, arc=7 days, H=18.5 ~676m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.26-27p4)
- K10X45T 2010 XT45 (arc=10 days, H=17.4 ~1.12 km) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.21-23p4)
- K10X24C 2010 XC24 (i=39.0°, arc=12 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.35-36p4)
- K10X15C 2010 XC15 (arc=14 days, H=21.4 ~178m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.05-06p3)
- K10X10O 2010 XO10 (arc=16 days, H=20.4 ~282m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.24-26p5)
- K10W08P 2010 WP8 (arc=2 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.14-15p5)
- K10W07Q 2010 WQ7 (arc=22 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.17-18p4)
- K10W00L 2010 WL (arc=30 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.27p3)
- K10W00J 2010 WJ (arc=32 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.25-26p3)
- K10W00H 2010 WH (arc=32 days, H=19.2 ~490m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.29-30p4)
- K10T54P 2010 TP54 (arc=70 days, H=21.7 ~155m) from LINEAR (Dec. 19.08-13p4)
- K10S13D 2010 SD13 (Q=4.305 AU, arc=83 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.09-10p4)
- K10R80N 2010 RN80 (arc=100 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.31-32p5)
- K10NB7W 2010 NW117 (arc=2 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.07-08p3)
- K10L86F 2010 LF86 (arc=190 days, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.11-13p3)
- K10L68R 2010 LR68 (Q=4.878 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.36-37p3)
- K10L33R 2010 LR33 (arc=2 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.28p3)
- K10J33L 2010 JL33 (Q=4.634 AU, arc=4 opp, H=17.6 ~1.02 km) from Atlante Obs. (Dec. 18.88-90p3), ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.19-20p5), and Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. (Dec. 19.50-54p9)
- K06W02Y 2006 WY2 (arc=5 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.21-22p4)
- K06V14B 2006 VB14 (arc=3 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.20-21p4)
- K05W00E 2005 WE (arc=3 opp, H=19.7 ~389m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.31-32p4)
- K05GC0C 2005 GC120 (arc=6 opp, H=19.6 ~407m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.12-14p4)
- K05C41F 2005 CF41 (arc=5 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.38-39p3)
- K02O04S 2002 OS4 (arc=3 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from LINEAR (Dec. 19.21-25p3)
- K01V02B 2001 VB2 (arc=4 opp, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.08-10p3)
- K00A06C 2000 AC6 (arc=4 opp, H=21.5 ~170m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.23-24p3)
- J97X02S 1997 XS2 (Q=4.046 AU, arc=2 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 19.29-30p4)
- 03838 3838 Epona (1986 WA) from Altamira Obs. (Dec. 18.97-98p3)
Observers on 20 December '10
Five observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|J24||Altamira Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y19 -- 3838|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 30 in MPEC 2010-Y19 -- 2010 YB, 2010 XX58, 2010 XT45, 2010 XO56, 2010 XO10, 2010 XG3, 2010 XE11, 2010 XD25, 2010 XC24, 2010 XC15, 2010 WQ7, 2010 WP8, 2010 WL, 2010 WJ, 2010 WH, 2010 SD13, 2010 RN80, 2010 NW117, 2010 LR68, 2010 LR33, 2010 LF86, 2010 JL33, 2006 WY2, 2006 VB14, 2005 WE, 2005 GC120, 2005 CF41, 2001 VB2, 2000 AC6, 1997 XS2|
|J51||Atlante Obs. in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y19 -- 2010 JL33|
|379||Hamamatsu-Yuto Obs. in Japan, 1 in MPEC 2010-Y19 -- 2010 JL33|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 2 in MPEC 2010-Y19 -- 2010 TP54, 2002 OS4|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 20 December '10
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 20 December '10
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1658||Grabbed MPEC 2010-Y19 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|