Contents on 13 August '10
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seventeen observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 321 risk-listed objects, 11 have had news in the last month. Updated at 1452 UTC.
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
One object is known to be within ten LD of Earth today. Updated at 0122 UTC.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 13 August '10
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 5 listings: 2 new, 3 updated
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had two new and three updated listings. So far The Tracking News has counted a total of twelve listings on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 13 August '10
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there have been six MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2010-P55 time-stamped "04:16 UT" - 2010 PD57 - see below
- MPEC 2010-P56 time-stamped "06:12 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2010-P57 time-stamped "15:44 UT" - Comet P/2010 P2 (LINEAR) [= P/1999 U3 (LINEAR)] - see below
- MPEC 2010-P58 time-stamped "17:04 UT" - 2010 PM58 - see below
- MPEC 2010-P59 time-stamped "17:14 UT" - 2010 PO58 - see below
- MPEC 2010-P60 time-stamped "17:22 UT" - 2010 PP58
MPEC 2010-P60 - "17:22 UT" - 2010 PP58
- K10P58P 2010 PP58 (small asteroid, Earth MOID=4.5 LD, H=22.1 ~129m) was discovered at 2038 UT on 5 Aug. by WISE, which observed it at Aug. 5.86p1, 5.93p1, 5.99p1, 6.06p1, 6.12p1, 6.19p1, and 6.32p1. The discovery was confirmed by the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (Aug. 11.39-40p2 at V=21.5 & 12.41-42p3 at V=21.8-22.2) and Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Aug. 13.36-39p3).
MPEC 2010-P59 - "17:14 UT" - 2010 PO58
- K10P58O 2010 PO58 (i=121.1°, q=2.997 AU, Q=14.590 AU, H=14.5 ~4.26 km) was discovered at 2010 UT on 5 Aug. by WISE, which observed it at Aug. 5.84p1, 5.97p1, 6.10p1, 6.17p1, 6.24p1, 6.30p1, 6.37p2, 6.50p1, 6.63p1, 6.70p1, 6.77p1, 6.83p1, 6.90p1, 6.96p2, 7.10p1, and 7.23p1. The discovery was confirmed by the Spacewatch 0.9m telescope (Aug. 11.19-20p3) and ARO Westfield (Aug. 12.09-13p3 at V=21.7-22.1).
MPEC 2010-P58 - "17:04 UT" - 2010 PM58
- K10P58M 2010 PM58 (H=21.7 ~155m) was discovered at 2340 UT on 1 Aug. by WISE, which observed it at Aug. 1.99p1, 2.12p1, 2.18p1, 2.25p1, 2.32p1, and 2.45p1. The discovery was confirmed by the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (Aug. 8.39-40p3 & 13.38-39p2).
MPEC 2010-P57 - "15:44 UT" - Comet P/2010 P2 (LINEAR) [= P/1999 U3 (LINEAR)]
- PK10P020 P/2010 P2 (q=1.921 AU, Q=7.957 AU, TP=2010 July 18.30095 TT) from RAS Obs. Mayhill (Aug. 12.44-45p3 & 13.44p3)
- PJ99U030 P/1999 U3 (LINEAR) (q=1.846 AU, Q=7.849 AU, TP=1999 Nov. 18.46555 TT)
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K10P09M 2010 PM9 (arc=7 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Great Shefford Obs. (Aug. 12.12-13p3), ARO Westfield (Aug. 12.27-28p4), and Spacewatch 1.8m (Aug. 12.31-32p3)
- K10O00C 2010 OC (Q=4.718 AU, arc=24 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 12.37-39p6)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K10C55B 2010 CB55 (arc=185 days, H=22.7 ~98m) from Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) (Aug. 12.38-39p7) and Great Shefford Obs. (Aug. 13.06-07p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K10P22Y 2010 PY22 (arc=4 days, H=19.1 ~513m) from PJMSO (Aug. 12.30-31p7)
- K10OA1B 2010 OB101 (arc=25 days, H=20.5 ~269m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Aug. 12.27-28p3)
- K10NB7W 2010 NW117 (arc=36 days, H=18.3 ~741m) from Montcabre Obs. (Aug. 12.97-98p3)
- K10M00R 2010 MR (arc=57 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Aug. 12.16-17p3 at V=21.7-22.2)
- K10L33R 2010 LR33 (arc=2 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from LINEAR (2001 Nov. 10.07-13p4)
- K09E02O 2009 EO2 (arc=2 opp, H=19.6 ~407m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 12.24-31p3 at V=22.7-23.1)
- K07VI9G 2007 VG189 (arc=2 opp, H=19.1 ~513m) from WISE (Aug. 7.69p1, 8.08p1, 8.22p1, 8.35p1, 8.48p1, 8.55p1, 8.61p1, 8.68p1, 8.74p1, 8.81p1, 8.88p1, 8.94p2, 9.01p1, 9.08p1, 9.14p1, 9.21p1, 9.27p1, 9.34p1, 9.41p1 & 9.47p1)
- K07P25H 2007 PH25 (i=53.3°, Q=4.604 AU, arc=3 opp, H=16.5 ~1.70 km) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 9.22p1 at V=22.7 & 12.16-19p2 at V=22.8-23.0)
- K04L00J 2004 LJ (arc=4 opp, H=20.2 ~309m) from ARO Westfield (Aug. 12.29-33p3 at V=21.8-22.1)
- K02Q06Y 2002 QY6 (q=0.246 AU, arc=4 opp, H=19.7 ~389m) from Crni Vrh Obs. (Aug. 11.86-89p4) and PJMSO (Aug. 12.29p5)
- K02O04S 2002 OS4 (arc=3 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from PJMSO (Aug. 12.29-30p5)
- K02N71E 2002 NE71 (arc=2 opp, H=19.5 ~426m) from La Sagra Obs. (Aug. 11.87-90p3) and PJMSO (Aug. 12.32-34p6)
- J99T12K 1999 TK12 (arc=3 opp, H=18.1 ~812m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Aug. 12.35-36p2)
- O2187 242187 2003 KR18 from WISE (Aug. 4.77p1, 5.04p1, 5.10p1, 5.17p1, 5.24p1, 5.30p1, 5.37p1, 5.50p1, 5.63p1 & 6.03p1)
- O1596 241596 1998 XM2 from WISE (Aug. 5.50p1, 5.57p1, 5.63p1, 5.70p1, 5.77p1, 5.90p1, 6.03p1, 6.16p1 & 6.30p1)
- G8378 168378 1997 ET30 from WISE (Aug. 7.12p1, 7.25p1, 7.38p1, 7.52p1, 7.58p1, 7.65p1, 7.72p1, 7.78p1, 7.85p1, 7.91p1, 8.11p1, 8.24p1, 8.38p1 & 8.51p1)
- D9345 139345 2001 KA67 from WISE (Aug. 4.74p1, 4.88p1, 5.01p1, 5.14p1, 5.27p1, 5.40p1, 5.47p2, 5.54p1, 5.60p1, 5.67p1, 5.74p1, 5.80p1, 5.87p1, 5.93p1, 6.00p1, 6.07p1, 6.13p1, 6.26p1, 6.53p1 & 6.79p1)
- 65679 65679 1989 UQ from WISE (Aug. 8.71p1, 8.84p1, 8.97p1, 9.04p1, 9.10p1, 9.17p1, 9.24p1, 9.37p2 & 9.43p1)
- 05653 5653 Camarillo (1992 WD5) from WISE (Aug. 8.21p1, 8.34p1, 8.61p1, 9.00p1, 9.14p1 & 9.33p1)
- 04197 4197 1982 TA from ISON-NM Obs. (Aug. 12.32-38p4)
- 04183 4183 Cuno (1959 LM) from Purple Mtn. Obs. Xuyi Station (Aug. 12.78-82p4)
- 03551 3551 Verenia (1983 RD) from WISE (Aug. 7.16p1, 7.29p1 & 7.55p1)
- 01865 1865 Cerberus (1971 UA) from the Spaceguard Centre (Aug. 12.93p3)
MPEC 2010-P55 - "04:16 UT" - 2010 PD57
- K10P57D 2010 PD57 (small asteroid, H=22.6 ~102m) was discovered at 0512 UT on 10 Aug. by Spacewatch 0.9m, which observed it at Aug. 10.22-25p3. The discovery was confirmed by Sandlot Obs. (Aug. 10.36-41p3 & 11.35-38p3), Spacewatch 1.8m (Aug. 10.46-47p3, 11.22-23p3 & 12.23-24p3), Great Shefford Obs. (Aug. 10.99-01p3), Jana Pittichova on Mauna Kea (Aug. 11.57p3), and ARO Westfield (Aug. 12.13-15p3).
Observers on 13 August '10
Seventeen observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 8 in MPECs 2010-P55, 2010-P56, 2010-P59 & 2010-P60 -- 2010 PP58, 2010 PO58, 2010 PM9, 2010 PD57, 2010 OC, 2009 EO2, 2007 PH25, 2004 LJ|
|106||Crni Vrh Obs. in Slovenia, 1 in MPEC 2010-P56 -- 2002 QY6|
|J95||Great Shefford Obs. in England, 3 in MPECs 2010-P55 & 2010-P56 -- 2010 PM9, 2010 PD57, 2010 CB55|
|H15||ISON-NM Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2010-P56 -- 4197|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2010-P56 -- 2010 LR33|
|J75||La Sagra Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2010-P56 -- 2002 NE71|
|568"||Jana Pittichova on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2010-P55 -- 2010 PD57|
|213||Montcabre Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2010-P56 -- 2010 NW117|
|H45||Petit Jean Mtn. South Obs. (PJMSO) in Arkansas, 5 in MPEC 2010-P56 -- 2010 PY22, 2010 CB55, 2002 QY6, 2002 OS4, 2002 NE71|
|D29||Purple Mtn. Obs. Xuyi Station in China, 1 in MPEC 2010-P56 -- 4183|
|H06||RAS Obs. Mayhill in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2010-P57 -- P/2010 P2|
|H36||Sandlot Obs. in Kansas, 1 in MPEC 2010-P55 -- 2010 PD57|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2010-P58 -- 2010 PM58|
|J26||Spaceguard Centre in Wales, 1 in MPEC 2010-P56 -- 1865|
|691||Spacewatch 0.9m telescope in Arizona, 2 in MPECs 2010-P55 & 2010-P59 -- 2010 PO58, 2010 PD57|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 6 in MPECs 2010-P55, 2010-P56 & 2010-P60 -- 2010 PP58, 2010 PM9, 2010 PD57, 2010 OB101, 2010 MR, 1999 TK12|
|C51||WISE in Earth polar orbit, 11 in MPECs 2010-P56, 2010-P58, 2010-P59 & 2010-P60 -- 2010 PP58, 2010 PO58, 2010 PM58, 2007 VG189, 65679, 242187, 241596, 168378, 139345, 5653, 3551|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 13 August '10
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2358 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.
Chronology on 13 August '10
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1905||Grabbed MPEC 2010-P60 - 2010 PP58 - see above|
|1719||Grabbed MPEC 2010-P57 - Comet P/2010 P2 (LINEAR) [= P/1999 U3 (LINEAR)] - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2010-P58 - 2010 PM58 - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2010-P59 - 2010 PO58 - see above
|1451||Grabbed MPEC 2010-P56 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|
|0459||Grabbed MPEC 2010-P55 - 2010 PD57 - see above|