Contents on 27 May '10
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- thirteen observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- two objects
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 326 risk-listed objects, 33 have had news in the last month. Updated at 2358 UTC.
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
Seven objects are known to be within ten LD of Earth today. Updated at 2224 UTC.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 27 May '10
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 10 listings: 8 new, 2 updated
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had eight new and two updated listings. Of these, three were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of eleven listings on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 27 May '10
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there have been four MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2010-K63 time-stamped "06:09 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2010-K64 time-stamped "21:10 UT" - 2010 AR85 - see below
- MPEC 2010-K65 time-stamped "21:21 UT" - 2010 AU118 - see below
- MPEC 2010-K66 time-stamped "22:37 UT" - 2010 KR59
MPEC 2010-K66 - "22:37 UT" - 2010 KR59
- K10K59R 2010 KR59 (q=10.653 AU, Q=74.716 AU, H=7.7 ~97.7 km) was discovered at 0745 UT on 18 May by WISE, which observed it at May 18.32p1, 18.46p1, 18.59p1, 18.65p1, 18.72p1, 18.79p1, 18.85p1, 19.05p1, 19.18p1, and 19.32p1. The discovery was confirmed by the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (May 23.22-27p3), Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (May 24.11-14p2 & 26.15-17p2), Magdalena Ridge Obs. (MRO) (May 25.18-22p4), the Mt. Lemmon Survey (MLS) (May 25.20-23p4), Cordell-Lorenz Obs. (May 26.19-20p2), and David Tholen's team via Faulkes Telescope North (May 27.32p3).
MPEC 2010-K65 - "21:21 UT" - 2010 AU118
- K10AB8U 2010 AU118 (risk-listed, i=43.7°, H=17.7 ~977m) was discovered at 2128 UT on 13 Jan. by WISE, which observed it at Jan. 13.89p1, 14.03p1, 14.16p1, 14.23p2, 14.29p1, 14.36p1, 14.49p1, 14.56p1, 14.62p1, 14.69p1, 14.75-76p2, 14.82p1, 14.89p1, 15.02p1, 15.15p1, and 15.28p2.
MPEC 2010-K64 - "21:10 UT" - 2010 AR85
- K10A85R 2010 AR85 (risk-listed, i=51.5°, q=0.291 AU, H=17.4 ~1.12 km) was discovered at 2040 UT on 7 Jan. by WISE, which observed it at Jan. 7.86p1, 8.26p1, 8.39p1, 8.59p1, 8.66p1, 8.72p1, 8.85p2, 8.99p1, 9.05p1, 9.32p1, and 9.58p1.
- Observations of recently (no longer) risk-listed objects
- K10K39V 2010 KV39 (small asteroid, arc=2 days, H=26.8 ~15m) from Wishing Star Obs. (May 26.06p3), ARO Westfield (May 26.20-22p8), and Tenagra II Obs. (May 26.26-27p3, 26.31p1 & 26.41p3)
- K10J71N 2010 JN71 (arc=13 days, H=21.4 ~178m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 23.86-87p2)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K10K37K 2010 KK37 (arc=3 days, H=25.7 ~25m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 23.95-96p3), ARO Westfield (May 26.22p1 & 26.30-31p2), Desert Moon Obs. (May 26.28-31p3), and Tenagra II Obs. (May 26.33-34p3)
- K10K08B 2010 KB8 (q=0.239 AU, arc=5 days, H=24.0 ~54m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 23.89-90p2)
- K10J71O 2010 JO71 (arc=15 days, H=23.9 ~56m) from Tenagra II Obs. (May 26.39p3)
- K10G34A 2010 GA34 (arc=44 days, H=22.4 ~112m) from ARO Westfield (May 26.19-20p4)
- Observations of almost-small asteroids (21.7<H<=22.0)
- K10F81C 2010 FC81 (Q=4.340 AU, arc=56 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 23.93-94p5)
- K10D77H 2010 DH77 (Q=5.585 AU, arc=45 days, H=21.8 ~148m) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (March 5.31p1 at R=23.0 & April 5.26-27p3 at R=22.8-23.1)
- K04K17H 2004 KH17 (q=0.357 AU, arc=3 opp, H=22.0 ~135m) from ARO Westfield (May 26.32-34p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K10K08A 2010 KA8 (arc=5 days, H=21.6 ~162m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 23.97-98p2)
- K10J88G 2010 JG88 (arc=12 days, H=19.4 ~446m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 23.97-98p3) and ARO Westfield (May 26.17-18p3)
- K10J41K 2010 JK41 (Q=4.315 AU, arc=14 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 24.04-06p3)
- K10J34V 2010 JV34 (arc=18 days, H=20.9 ~224m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 23.99p5) and Tenagra II Obs. (May 26.27-28p3)
- K10F00Q 2010 FQ (arc=69 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from Desert Moon Obs. (May 26.15-23p3)
- K10E45V 2010 EV45 (arc=72 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from ARO Westfield (May 26.35-36p5)
- K10D21M 2010 DM21 (Q=4.746 AU, arc=48 days, H=20.5 ~269m) from Tholen team/Mauna Kea (April 5.41-42p3)
- K10CH1J 2010 CJ171 (arc=101 days, H=21.0 ~214m) from ARO Westfield (May 26.15-16p5)
- K10C18L 2010 CL18 (Q=4.186 AU, arc=102 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from ARO Westfield (May 26.33-34p2)
- K10A79G 2010 AG79 (Q=4.587 AU, arc=70 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from WISE (Jan. 13.68p1, 13.81p1, 14.94p2, 15.20p1, 15.46p1, 15.53p1, 15.60p1, 15.66p1 & 15.73p1)
- K10A78B 2010 AB78 (arc=63 days, H=18.4 ~708m) from WISE (Jan. 12.58p1, 12.72p1, 12.85p1, 13.11p1, 13.51p1, 13.64p1, 13.71p1, 13.77p1, 13.84p1, 13.91p1, 13.97p1, 14.04p1, 14.11p1, 14.50p1, 14.63p1, 14.77p1, 14.90p2 & 15.03p1)
- K09X02C 2009 XC2 (Q=4.187 AU, arc=3 opp, H=17.1 ~1.29 km) from ARO Westfield (May 26.37p2)
- K09U00K 2009 UK (arc=176 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from WISE (Jan. 7.32p1, 7.38p1, 7.91p1, 8.05p1 & 8.18p1)
- K09SA3O 2009 SO103 (arc=2 opp, H=17.4 ~1.12 km) from ARO Westfield (May 26.29-30p3)
- K09K05D 2009 KD5 (arc=3 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 23.94p2 & 24.00p1) and ARO Westfield (May 26.28-29p5)
- K08L08W 2008 LW8 (arc=5 opp, H=17.3 ~1.17 km) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 23.92-93p2 & 23.99p1)
- K07Y00Z 2007 YZ (arc=3 opp, H=19.6 ~407m) from WISE (Jan. 14.07p1, 14.20p1, 14.46p1, 14.53p1, 14.60p1, 14.73p1, 14.93p1, 15.06p1 & 15.19p1)
- K07T19A 2007 TA19 (arc=3 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from WISE (Jan. 14.46p1, 14.99p1, 15.19p1, 15.25p1, 15.32p1, 15.45p1 & 15.58p1)
- K05GC0B 2005 GB120 (arc=2 opp, H=20.4 ~282m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 24.01-02p3) and ARO Westfield (May 26.23-27p3)
- K04J20X 2004 JX20 (arc=3 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from Schiaparelli Obs. (May 24.01-02p5) and ARO Westfield (May 26.24-28p4)
- K03N06Z 2003 NZ6 (arc=5 opp, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (May 26.35-36p3)
- J99R32C 1999 RC32 (arc=4 opp, H=18.4 ~708m) from WISE (Jan. 8.34p1, 8.47p1, 8.60p1, 8.67p1, 8.87p1, 8.93p1, 8.00p1, 9.06p1 & 9.33p1)
- J98O01K 1998 OK1 (arc=2 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from WISE (Jan. 13.50p1, 13.64p1, 13.77p2, 13.83p1, 13.90p1, 13.97p1 & 14.10p1)
- N7442 237442 1999 TA10 from Desert Moon Obs. (May 26.26-27p5)
- 12923 12923 Zephyr (1999 GK4) from Tzec Maun Obs. Mayhill (May 26.20-23p2)
- 04055 4055 Magellan (1985 DO2) from Tzec Maun Obs. Mayhill (May 26.16-18p2)
Observers on 27 May '10
Thirteen observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 15 in MPECs 2010-K63 & 2010-K66 -- 2010 KV39, 2010 KR59, 2010 KK37, 2010 JG88, 2010 GA34, 2010 EV45, 2010 CL18, 2010 CJ171, 2009 XC2, 2009 SO103, 2009 KD5, 2005 GB120, 2004 KH17, 2004 JX20, 2003 NZ6|
|850||Cordell-Lorenz Obs. in Tennessee, 1 in MPEC 2010-K66 -- 2010 KR59|
|448||Desert Moon Obs. in New Mexico, 3 in MPEC 2010-K63 -- 2010 KK37, 2010 FQ, 237442|
|F658||David Tholen's team in Hawaii via Faulkes Telescope North in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2010-K66 -- 2010 KR59|
|H01||Magdalena Ridge Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2010-K66 -- 2010 KR59|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2010-K63 -- 2010 DM21, 2010 DH77|
|G96||Mt. Lemmon Survey in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2010-K66 -- 2010 KR59|
|204||Schiaparelli Obs. in Italy, 12 in MPEC 2010-K63 -- 2010 KK37, 2010 KB8, 2010 KA8, 2010 JV34, 2010 JN71, 2010 JK41, 2010 JG88, 2010 FC81, 2009 KD5, 2008 LW8, 2005 GB120, 2004 JX20|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 1 in MPEC 2010-K66 -- 2010 KR59|
|926||Tenagra II Obs. in Arizona, 4 in MPEC 2010-K63 -- 2010 KV39, 2010 KK37, 2010 JV34, 2010 JO71|
|H10||Tzec Maun Obs. Mayhill in New Mexico, 2 in MPEC 2010-K63 -- 12923, 4055|
|C51||WISE in Earth polar orbit, 10 in MPECs 2010-K63, 2010-K64, 2010-K65 & 2010-K66 -- 2010 KR59, 2010 AU118, 2010 AR85, 2010 AG79, 2010 AB78, 2009 UK, 2007 YZ, 2007 TA19, 1999 RC32, 1998 OK1|
|I15||Wishing Star Obs. in Rhode Island, 1 in MPEC 2010-K63 -- 2010 KV39|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 27 May '10
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2010 AU118||JPL Sentry||2307||2020-2106||37||1.7e-08||-3.77||-4.42||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 19 observations spanning 1.3896 days (2010-Jan-13.89477 to 2010-Jan-15.28441)." Diameter approximately 0.894 km. from mean, weighted H=17.9.|
|2010 AR85||JPL Sentry||2358||2015-2106||35||1.9e-08||-3.11||-3.37||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 12 observations spanning 1.7202 days (2010-Jan-07.86121 to 2010-Jan-09.58143)." Diameter approximately 1.100 km. from mean, weighted H=17.4.|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 27 May '10
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2358||Noted that JPL Sentry has posted 2010 AR85 as an impact risk - see above|
|2307||Noted that JPL Sentry has posted 2010 AU118 as an impact risk - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2010-K66 - 2010 KR59 - see above
|2202||Grabbed MPEC 2010-K65 - 2010 AU118 - see above|
|2115||Grabbed MPEC 2010-K64 - 2010 AR85 - see above|
|1540||Grabbed MPEC 2010-K63 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|