Contents on 28 February '10
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- eight observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- two objects
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 28 February '10
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 5 listings: 1 new, 4 updated
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one new and four updated listings.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 28 February '10
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there have been two MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2010-D92 time-stamped "07:11 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2010-D93 time-stamped "21:57 UT" - 2007 MG
MPEC 2010-D93 - "21:57 UT" - 2007 MG
- K10D34B 2010 DB34 (arc=5 days, H=19.0 ~537m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (Feb. 26.59p2)
- K09U03N 2009 UN3 (i=37.4°, arc=130 days, H=18.5 ~676m) from LINEAR (Feb. 26.39-44p5)
- K08J00G 2008 JG (arc=3 opp, H=20.9 ~224m) from David Asher via Faulkes Telescope North (Feb. 24.57-58p4)
- K04X50D 2004 XD50 (arc=2 opp, H=18.5 ~676m) from LINEAR (Feb. 26.33-38p5)
- K04T18B 2004 TB18 (arc=3 opp, H=17.7 ~977m) from Asher/Faulkes North (Feb. 24.57-58p2)
- K04B41O 2004 BO41 (arc=4 opp, H=17.4 ~1.12 km) from Alter Satzberg Obs. (Feb. 27.76p1 & 27.83p1)
- K01H04A 2001 HA4 (Q=4.817 AU, arc=3 opp, H=17.6 ~1.02 km) from WISE (Feb. 24.46p1, 24.59p1, 24.66p1, 24.79p1 & 24.92p2)
- 54789 54789 2001 MZ7 from Skylive Obs. (Feb. 27.94-95p5)
- 05131 5131 1990 BG from El Maestrat Obs. (Feb. 26.88-91p10)
Observers on 28 February '10
Eight observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|B03||Alter Satzberg Obs. in Austria, 1 in MPEC 2010-D92 -- 2004 BO41|
|J19||El Maestrat Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPEC 2010-D92 -- 5131|
|F655||David Asher in Northern Ireland via Faulkes Telescope North in Hawaii, 2 in MPEC 2010-D92 -- 2008 JG, 2004 TB18|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 2 in MPEC 2010-D92 -- 2009 UN3, 2004 XD50|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2010-D93 -- 2007 MG|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2010-D92 -- 2010 DB34|
|B40||Skylive Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2010-D92 -- 54789|
|C51||WISE in Earth polar orbit, 1 in MPEC 2010-D92 -- 2001 HA4|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 28 February '10
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2010 CK19||NEODyS||2215||2081-2089||3||7.05e-07||-7.94||-8.14||0||NEODyS: "Based on 33 optical observations (of which 0 are rejected as outliers) from 2010/02/14.334 to 2010/02/16.470."|
|2010 CA||NEODyS||2213||2022||1||5.5e-06||-4.31||-4.31||0||NEODyS: "Based on 61 optical observations (of which 0 are rejected as outliers) from 2010/02/05.197 to 2010/02/14.098."|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 28 February '10
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2215||Noted that NEODyS has updated its 2010 CK19 risk assessment - see above|
|2213||Noted that NEODyS has updated its 2010 CA risk assessment - see above|
|2211||Grabbed MPEC 2010-D93 - 2007 MG - see above|
|1607||Grabbed MPEC 2010-D92 - Daily Orbit Update - see above|