Contents on 22 January '10
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- eleven observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- one object
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 22 January '10
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 3 listings: 1 new, 2 updated
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had one new and two updated listings. So far The Tracking News has counted a total of eight listings on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 22 January '10
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there have been four MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2010-B30 time-stamped "07:15 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2010-B31 time-stamped "17:33 UT" - 2010 BB3 - see below
- MPEC 2010-B32 time-stamped "17:42 UT" - 2010 BC3 - see below
- MPEC 2010-B33 time-stamped "21:04 UT" - 2010 AB78
MPEC 2010-B33 - "21:04 UT" - 2010 AB78
- K10A78B 2010 AB78 (H=18.6 ~645m) was discovered at 2331 UT on 12 Jan. by WISE, which observed it at Jan. 12.98p1 and 13.58p1. The discovery was confirmed by David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (Jan. 18.64p2 & 19.57p2).
MPEC 2010-B32 - "17:42 UT" - 2010 BC3
- K10B03C 2010 BC3 (Q=5.519 AU, H=20.1 ~323m) was discovered at 0419 UT on 21 Jan. by La Sagra Obs., which observed it at Jan. 21.18-21p3, 21.25-26p2, and 22.09-10p3. The discovery was confirmed by Rio Cuarto Obs. (Jan. 21.30-31p3) and Libbiano Obs. (Jan. 21.00-01p2).
MPEC 2010-B31 - "17:33 UT" - 2010 BB3
- K10B03B 2010 BB3 (H=19.8 ~371m) was discovered at 0119 UT on 21 Jan. by La Sagra Obs., which observed it at Jan. 21.06-12p5 and 21.94-95p3. The discovery was confirmed by Moriyama Obs. (Jan. 22.67-68p2).
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K10A60N 2010 AN60 (arc=5 days, H=26.9 ~14m) from Sormano Obs. (Jan. 19.88-90p2)
- Observations of almost-small asteroids (21.7<H<=22.0)
- K10B02K 2010 BK2 (arc=2 days, H=22.0 ~135m) from Sormano Obs. (Jan. 19.87p2)
- Observations of other objects
- K10B02G 2010 BG2 (i=42.1°, q=0.315 AU, Q=5.930 AU, arc=3 days, H=19.8 ~371m) from Rio Cuarto Obs. (Jan. 21.22-24p3)
- K10B00Q 2010 BQ (i=37.1°, arc=4 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from the Siding Spring Survey (SSS) (Jan. 20.59-62p4)
- K09T08G 2009 TG8 (arc=2 opp, H=19.1 ~513m) from Rio Cuarto Obs. (Jan. 21.16-17p2)
- K07U03R 2007 UR3 (arc=3 opp, H=21.1 ~204m) from LINEAR (Jan. 21.21-26p5)
- K05B00E 2005 BE (arc=3 opp, H=20.0 ~339m) from LINEAR (Jan. 21.15-18p4)
- K03C01R 2003 CR1 (arc=3 opp, H=19.9 ~355m) from Rio Cuarto Obs. (Jan. 21.26-28p3)
- K03B00H 2003 BH (arc=4 opp, H=20.5 ~269m) from LINEAR (Jan. 21.08-13p5)
- K01B10E 2001 BE10 (arc=4 opp, H=19.1 ~513m) from SSS (Jan. 20.64-67p4 & 20.76p2)
- L9527 219527 2001 QK142 from Crni Vrh Obs. (Jan. 20.91-93p4)
- L5188 215188 2000 NM from LINEAR (Jan. 21.22-26p4)
- E3947 143947 2003 YQ117 from SSS (Jan. 20.47-48p4)
- D7925 137925 2000 BJ19 from LINEAR (Jan. 21.21-26p5)
- 86067 86067 1999 RM28 from Crni Vrh Obs. (Jan. 21.08-11p4)
- 85709 85709 1998 SG36 from SSS (Jan. 21.58-60p3)
- 35396 35396 1997 XF11 from LINEAR (Jan. 21.14-19p4)
- 03552 3552 Don Quixote (1983 SA) from Castelmartini Obs. (Jan. 19.71p3)
- 00433 433 Eros (1898 DQ) from Castelmartini Obs. (Jan. 19.71p3)
Observers on 22 January '10
Eleven observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|160||Castelmartini Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2010-B30 -- 3552, 433|
|106||Crni Vrh Obs. in Slovenia, 2 in MPEC 2010-B30 -- 86067, 219527|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 6 in MPEC 2010-B30 -- 2007 UR3, 2005 BE, 2003 BH, 35396, 215188, 137925|
|J75||La Sagra Obs. in Spain, 2 in MPECs 2010-B31 & 2010-B32 -- 2010 BC3, 2010 BB3|
|B33||Libbiano Obs. in Italy, 1 in MPEC 2010-B32 -- 2010 BC3|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2010-B33 -- 2010 AB78|
|900||Moriyama Obs. in Japan, 1 in MPEC 2010-B31 -- 2010 BB3|
|I20||Rio Cuarto Obs. in Argentina, 4 in MPECs 2010-B30 & 2010-B32 -- 2010 BG2, 2010 BC3, 2009 TG8, 2003 CR1|
|E12||Siding Spring Survey (SSS) in New South Wales, 4 in MPEC 2010-B30 -- 2010 BQ, 2001 BE10, 85709, 143947|
|587||Sormano Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2010-B30 -- 2010 BK2, 2010 AN60|
|C51||WISE in Earth polar orbit, 1 in MPEC 2010-B33 -- 2010 AB78|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 22 January '10
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2010 BU2||NEODyS||1503||2054-2087||4||1.57e-06||-5.69||-5.70||0||NEODyS: "Based on 9 optical observations (of which 0 are rejected as outliers) from 2010/01/21.149 to 2010/01/21.931."|
|JPL Sentry||0154||2041-2108||10||1.4e-06||-5.73||-5.74||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 9 observations spanning .78253 days (2010-Jan-21.14812 to 2010-Jan-21.93065)." Diameter approximately 0.042 km. from mean, weighted H=24.5.|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 22 January '10
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2118||Grabbed MPEC 2010-B33 - 2010 AB78 - see above|
|1834||Grabbed MPEC 2010-B31 - 2010 BB3 - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2010-B32 - 2010 BC3 - see above
|1503||Noted that NEODyS has posted 2010 BU2 as an impact risk - see above|
Grabbed MPEC 2010-B30 - Daily Orbit Update - see above
|0154||Noted that JPL Sentry has posted 2010 BU2 as an impact risk - see above|