Contents on 12 January '10
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- 21 observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- two objects
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 12 January '10
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 11 listings: 5 new, 6 updated
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had five new and six updated listings. All of these were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of fourteen listings on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 12 January '10
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there have been six MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2010-A60 time-stamped "07:11 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2010-A61 time-stamped "12:51 UT" - 2010 AL30 - see below
- MPEC 2010-A62 time-stamped "15:43 UT" - 2010 AL30 - see below
- MPEC 2010-A63 time-stamped "17:21 UT" - 2010 AL30 - see below
- MPEC 2010-A64 time-stamped "22:27 UT" - 2010 AL30 - see below
- MPEC 2010-A65 time-stamped "23:00 UT" - 2010 AL30
MPEC 2010-A65 - "23:00 UT" - 2010 AL30
- K10A30L 2010 AL30 (small asteroid, Earth MOID=0.0 LD, H=27.1 ~13m) from Klet Obs. (Jan. 12.93p3) and Hagen Obs. (Jan. 12.94p5) This object is now within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth, reaching 0.3 LD on 13 Jan. (INTRUDER).
MPEC 2010-A64 - "22:27 UT" - 2010 AL30
- K10A30L 2010 AL30 (small asteroid, Earth MOID=0.0 LD, H=27.1 ~13m) from Tzec Maun Obs. Mayhill (Jan. 12.42-45p5), Drebach Obs. (Jan. 12.89p10), and Klet Obs. (Jan. 12.89p1) This object is now within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth, reaching 0.3 LD on 13 Jan. (INTRUDER).
MPEC 2010-A63 - "17:21 UT" - 2010 AL30
- K10A30L 2010 AL30 (small asteroid, Earth MOID=0.0 LD, H=27.2 ~12m) from Tenagra II Obs. (Jan. 12.31-32p7), Richard Miles via Faulkes Telescope North (Jan. 12.44-46p26), and Kambah Obs. (Jan. 12.66-70p4) This object is now within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth, reaching 0.3 LD on 13 Jan. (INTRUDER).
MPEC 2010-A62 - "15:43 UT" - 2010 AL30
- K10A30L 2010 AL30 (small asteroid, Earth MOID=0.0 LD, H=27.1 ~13m) from Gnosca Obs. (Jan. 11.88-89p3), Montcabre Obs. (Jan. 11.97-98p4), Miles/Faulkes North (Jan. 12.48-54p48), Kambah Obs. (Jan. 12.48-53p7 & 12.59-64p7), and Faulkes Telescope South (Jan. 12.57-58p7) This object is now within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth, reaching 0.3 LD on 13 Jan. (INTRUDER).
MPEC 2010-A61 - "12:51 UT" - 2010 AL30
- K10A30L 2010 AL30 (small asteroid, Earth MOID=0.0 LD, H=27.0 ~13m) from Berta Obs. (Jan. 11.93-96p3), Magdalena Ridge Obs. (MRO) (Jan. 12.17-23p5 & 12.47-49p3), Wiggins Obs. (Jan. 12.28-29p3), Ernesto Guido via RAS Obs. Mayhill (Jan. 12.37p5), and Tzec Maun Obs. Mayhill (Jan. 12.38-39p4) This object is now within ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth, reaching 0.3 LD on 13 Jan. (INTRUDER).
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K10A30E 2010 AE30 (small asteroid, arc=2 days, H=23.3 ~74m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (ARO Westfield) (Jan. 12.06-07p4)
- K09X00O 2009 XO (arc=33 days, H=20.5 ~269m) from the Spacewatch 1.8m telescope (Jan. 11.53-54p2)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K10A30L 2010 AL30 (arc=2 days, H=27.0 ~13m) from Gnosca Obs. (Jan. 11.88-89p3), Berta Obs. (Jan. 11.93-96p3), and Montcabre Obs. (Jan. 11.97-98p4)
- K10A03J 2010 AJ3 (arc=3 days, H=24.5 ~43m) from Tenagra II Obs. (Jan. 11.55p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K10A00E 2010 AE (arc=6 days, H=19.5 ~426m) from Tenagra II Obs. (Jan. 11.54-55p3)
- K09Y06T 2009 YT6 (arc=24 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Jan. 12.13-14p3)
- K09Y00O 2009 YO (arc=24 days, H=18.5 ~676m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Jan. 11.31-32p3)
- K09X01Z 2009 XZ1 (arc=32 days, H=21.7 ~155m) from Spacewatch 1.8m (Jan. 12.08-09p3 at V=21.5-22.2)
- K09A00V 2009 AV (i=45.9°, arc=2 opp, H=18.0 ~851m) from ARO Westfield (Jan. 10.48-49p3)
- K08A31B 2008 AB31 (arc=3 opp, H=20.2 ~309m) from the Spacewatch 0.9m telescope (Jan. 11.33-36p3)
- K06M10F 2006 MF10 (arc=3 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from La Silla (1996 April 18.24-27p2 & 1996 April 20.20-23p2)
- K05T45U 2005 TU45 (arc=4 opp, H=17.1 ~1.29 km) from David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (Dec. 9.27p2)
- J97Y03M 1997 YM3 (Q=5.450 AU, arc=3 opp, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Spacewatch 0.9m (Jan. 11.39-43p3)
- A5141 105141 2000 NF11 from Spacewatch 0.9m (Jan. 11.38-42p3)
- 04015 4015 Wilson-Harrington (1979 VA) from Pear Tree Obs. (Jan. 10.04-06p3)
- 00433 433 Eros (1898 DQ) from Berta Obs. (Dec. 8.81-87p3 & 9.80-86p3) and Kurihara Obs. (Jan. 10.41p4)
Observers on 12 January '10
A total of 21 observing facilities appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (ARO Westfield) in Illinois, 2 in MPEC 2010-A60 -- 2010 AE30, 2009 AV|
|C12||Berta Obs., 2 in MPECs 2010-A60 & 2010-A61 -- 2010 AL30, 433|
|113||Drebach Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2010-A64 -- 2010 AL30|
|F656||Richard Miles in England via Faulkes Telescope North in Hawaii, 1 in MPECs 2010-A62 & 2010-A63 -- 2010 AL30|
|E10||Faulkes Telescope South in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2010-A62 -- 2010 AL30|
|143||Gnosca Obs. in Switzerland, 1 in MPECs 2010-A60 & 2010-A62 -- 2010 AL30|
|B86||Hagen Obs. in Germany, 1 in MPEC 2010-A65 -- 2010 AL30|
|415||Kambah Obs. in the Australian Capital Territory, 1 in MPECs 2010-A62 & 2010-A63 -- 2010 AL30|
|046||Klet Obs. in the Czech Republic, 1 in MPECs 2010-A64 & 2010-A65 -- 2010 AL30|
|D95||Kurihara Obs. in Japan, 1 in MPEC 2010-A60 -- 433|
|809||La Silla in Chile, 1 in MPEC 2010-A60 -- 2006 MF10|
|H01||Magdalena Ridge Obs. in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2010-A61 -- 2010 AL30|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2010-A60 -- 2005 TU45|
|213||Montcabre Obs. in Spain, 1 in MPECs 2010-A60 & 2010-A62 -- 2010 AL30|
|H23||Pear Tree Obs. in Florida, 1 in MPEC 2010-A60 -- 4015|
|H06%||Ernesto Guido in Italy via RAS Obs. Mayhill in New Mexico, 1 in MPEC 2010-A61 -- 2010 AL30|
|691||Spacewatch 0.9m telescope in Arizona, 3 in MPEC 2010-A60 -- 2008 AB31, 1997 YM3, 105141|
|291||Spacewatch 1.8m telescope in Arizona, 4 in MPEC 2010-A60 -- 2009 YT6, 2009 YO, 2009 XZ1, 2009 XO|
|926||Tenagra II Obs. in Arizona, 3 in MPECs 2010-A60 & 2010-A63 -- 2010 AL30, 2010 AJ3, 2010 AE|
|H10||Tzec Maun Obs. Mayhill in New Mexico, 1 in MPECs 2010-A61 & 2010-A64 -- 2010 AL30|
|718||Wiggins Obs. in Utah, 1 in MPEC 2010-A61 -- 2010 AL30|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 12 January '10
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2010 AE30||JPL Sentry||1501||R E M O V E D||JPL: Risk listing removed at 0951 UTC.|
|2009 XO||JPL Sentry||1501||2038-2083||3||2.4e-07||-4.46||-4.73||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 196 observations spanning 33.391 days (2009-Dec-09.152 to 2010-Jan-11.5431)." Diameter approximately 0.260 km. from mean, weighted H=20.5.|
|NEODyS||1501||2038-2083||2||1.32e-07||-4.61||-4.72||0||NEODyS: "Based on 196 optical observations (of which 0 are rejected as outliers) from 2009/12/09.153 to 2010/01/11.544."|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 12 January '10
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|2307||Grabbed MPEC 2010-A65 - 2010 AL30 - see above|
|2238||Grabbed MPEC 2010-A64 - 2010 AL30 - see above|
|1814||Grabbed MPEC 2010-A63 - 2010 AL30 - see above|
|1600||Grabbed MPEC 2010-A62 - 2010 AL30 - see above|
|1501||Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2009 XO risk assessment - see above|
Noted that NEODyS has updated its 2009 XO risk assessment - see above
Noted that JPL Sentry has removed 2010 AE30 as an impact risk - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2010-A60 - Daily Orbit Update - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2010-A61 - 2010 AL30 - see above