Contents on 1 January '10
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- five observing facilities
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- one object
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 1 January '10
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page is currently empty
The NEOCP is currently empty and hasn't been noted by The Tracking News as being active yet today (checked at 2358 UTC). It was last noted active on December 27th.
New MPECs on 1 January '10
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K09X00O 2009 XO (arc=21 days, H=20.2 ~309m) from Moriyama Obs. (Dec. 29.66-67p3)
- Observations of other objects
- K09Q08E 2009 QE8 (arc=2 opp, H=18.0 ~851m) from ESA Optical Ground Station (ESA OGS) (2009 Sept. 9.88-93p3)
- K06U00R 2006 UR (arc=2 opp, H=19.4 ~446m) from Iluro Obs. (Dec. 12.16-17p3)
- K05M00C 2005 MC (Q=4.167 AU, arc=3 opp, H=16.5 ~1.70 km) from Iluro Obs. (Dec. 12.21-22p3) and Vicksburg Obs. (Dec. 29.39-43p3)
- F9402 159402 1999 AP10 from Iluro Obs. (Dec. 12.20-21p3 & 20.14-15p3)
- 17274 17274 2000 LC16 from Grove Creek Obs. (2009 Aug. 18.68-75p4)
- 05131 5131 1990 BG from Iluro Obs. (Dec. 12.23p3 & 20.16-17p3) and Vicksburg Obs. (Dec. 29.39-42p3)
- 01627 1627 Ivar (1929 SH) from Iluro Obs. (Dec. 12.24-25p3)
Observers on 1 January '10
Five observing facilities appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|J04||ESA Optical Ground Station in the Canary Islands, 1 in MPEC 2010-A01 -- 2009 QE8|
|E16||Grove Creek Obs. in New South Wales, 1 in MPEC 2010-A01 -- 17274|
|B19||Iluro Obs. in Spain, 5 in MPEC 2010-A01 -- 2006 UR, 2005 MC, 159402, 5131, 1627|
|900||Moriyama Obs. in Japan, 1 in MPEC 2010-A01 -- 2009 XO|
|H47||Vicksburg Obs. in Mississippi, 2 in MPEC 2010-A01 -- 2005 MC, 5131|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 1 January '10
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2009 XO||JPL Sentry||1617||2038-2045||2||2.9e-07||-4.02||-4.23||0||JPL: "Analysis based on 125 observations spanning 20.517 days (2009-Dec-09.152 to 2009-Dec-29.66871)." Diameter approximately 0.300 km. from mean, weighted H=20.2.|
|NEODyS||1617||2038-2045||2||2.91e-07||-4.03||-4.24||0||NEODyS: "Based on 125 optical observations (of which 0 are rejected as outliers) from 2009/12/09.153 to 2009/12/29.669."|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 1 January '10
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1617||Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2009 XO risk assessment - see above|
Noted that NEODyS has updated its 2009 XO risk assessment - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2010-A01 - Daily Orbit Update - see above